1 2 3
bigben
bigben Reader
11/15/19 10:31 p.m.
glueguy said:
Patrick said:

I mean, you could go as far as taking a $5 generic gm trunk lock cylinder and installing it in a random buick and stashing your haul in there and taking the keys with you, not that I've given this great thought or anything before.  

This cracks me up and scares me all at the same time.

The PicknPull yards around here usually have a 50% off sale a few times a year, and it gets a bit crazy on those days.  A friend of mine came up with a similar strategy.  Looking for GM or Ford parts? Pull the parts a couple days ahead of time and hide them deep in the import section of the yard.  Want Honda parts?  Hide them in the Ford truck section.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/17/19 4:41 p.m.
bigben said

The PicknPull yards around here usually have a 50% off sale a few times a year, and it gets a bit crazy on those days.  A friend of mine came up with a similar strategy.  Looking for GM or Ford parts? Pull the parts a couple days ahead of time and hide them deep in the import section of the yard.  Want Honda parts?  Hide them in the Ford truck section.

So he is the one doing that.   lol

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/18/19 10:36 a.m.

Just this Saturday, I went to a Pick n Pull to pull a 3 stage manifold off an E90 330i to flip it to only see it removed, yet still on the engine bay w/ both DISA valves attached still. Ok, won't say no to that saving me some time.

I look inside just to see if there's anything else I could use/flip and sitting right there are TWO Logic 7 amplifiers that go for around $200 on eBay, used. Not sure if someone just didn't want them or didn't wanna pay the yard prices or what, but the intake was $35 and the amps were around $30/each.

Even if I forgot to bring all of my sockets to remove a yellow tag steering rack off an E46 for the E30, I still came out on top that day.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/30/19 11:26 a.m.

Anyone else here?

_
_ Dork
11/30/19 5:11 p.m.

the struggle is real. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/30/19 5:48 p.m.

Yup

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/30/19 5:52 p.m.

Time to hire the local Football  team as "mules"  to carry the heavy stuff !

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/30/19 5:56 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Might be a great fund raiser.   Draw attention to a cause by selling engines and transmissions for double or triple, team gets in a leg day, yard gets advertising 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
11/30/19 6:17 p.m.
Justjim75 said:
californiamilleghia said:

Might be a great fund raiser.   Draw attention to a cause by selling engines and transmissions for double or triple, team gets in a leg day, yard gets advertising 

Someone carries an LS engine. Their might have been 2, but it was across the finish line. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/19 6:45 p.m.
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
11/30/19 7:19 p.m.

crazy people on that video !

But looks like a nice big yard , whats the address ?

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/27/19 6:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
bluej said:

Was thinking about it, and how does this work for challenge budget purposes?

Say I gather a pair of cylinder heads, a sway bar, and a couple sensors. Is each item $10, or distribute the $50 proportionally depending on the usual price? So say $60/ head, $6 a sensor, and 15 for the sway bar. Normally $147. So 60/148 is ~40%, so each head is ~$20? Or just budget hit of $50, whether you use one or all parts?

grab something you don't need that you know you can sell for $50.  boom, all the other E36 M3 is free to your challenge budget and you've only used $50 recoup.

bumping this back up. I'm headed to a new to me place that's having a $75 wheel barrowfull sale tomorrow. It's in Fort Washington, MD, part of Brandywine U-pull-it. Definitely planning on including a low bulk item(s) to hit that $75 recoup, so thanks for that!  Would still love some feedback from anyone who cares re: assigning challenge budget to each item in teh barrow. I see three options:

• item per barrowfull referenced
  • item pricelist proportionally adjusted
  • $75 to challenge budget, use as many parts as you can (can still sell from the barrowfull for recoup)

I don't much care, other than that it might adjust my time prioritization tomorrow. With that in mind, any fast input at all is welcome!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/19 7:04 p.m.

I'd personally budget it as option 3 and grab stuff to sell.  I'll buy a few ls truck cable throttle bodies, pcm's and coil sets if any are available and you want to grab them.  Should take 10 minutes for those 3 things off one vehicle.  If you get me enough i'll pay for your whole $75 load.  I need an 07+ computer and engine harness too, but the harness is a tad more time consuming.

bluej
12/27/19 7:43 p.m.

The sale was today as well, so I'm worried that most of the quick pull valuable stuff is already gonzo. Doesn't mean I won't keep a look out, though. Thanks for the reminder that I should pick up truck coils here instead of the other set I already have in budget.

bluej
12/28/19 5:13 p.m.

Well that went pretty well I think. I'm so pooped.

'Murrriccaaa!

Sorted. Mix of keep and recoup fodder.

Chaching. $2 core for a truck ls ecu. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/28/19 5:36 p.m.

Very cool! Here's how the Challenge rules say to deal with a lot like this:

A part’s cost may be pro-rated by weight or quantity if from a homogeneous parts lot (example: zip ties, nuts and bolts, a box of 20 identical axle shafts, etc.), or relative retail value if it was purchased as part of a heterogeneous parts lot (all-you-can-carry sales, storage unit buyouts, garage cleanouts, etc.) Relative retail value is calculated as follows:

1. Assign and prove a fair market value to every part in the lot.

2. Add those fair market values together to calculate the total fair market value of the lot.

3. Express the fair market value of the part you are pro-rating as a percentage of the lot’s total fair market value.

4. Multiply the actual price paid for the lot by that percentage in order to determine the part’s relative retail value.

bluej
12/28/19 6:22 p.m.

Ok, cool, that seems fairly straightforward, and essentially the "item pricelist proportionally adjusted" option I asked about.  Thanks for spelling it out clearly. 

Actually,  FMV questions:

• any reason I can't use the price list from the yard?
  • Recoup of parts goes to cutting down the actual price paid for the lot before assigning the relative retail value?
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/28/19 6:44 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

I'd vote for using the JY parts list any time a heterogeneous parts lot needs to be valued.

bluej
12/28/19 7:31 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to bluej :

I'd vote for using the JY parts list any time a heterogeneous parts lot needs to be valued.

It'd be a heck of a lot less work!  Would also allow for zeroing by recouping rarer items.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CvIBEZd7Wg2H0IQZ3Y3sT1g16HSwCoLDTtZpWmDTCXl3KrajbkGWD8aBKA3yUWRl