1 2 3
Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/14/08 1:17 p.m.

Well...

I was going to BERKLEY WITH YOUR MIIIIIINDS and bring a turbo diesel Miata to the Challenge.

I've got better ideas now. So, this freak that only the Challenge could create is up for sale.

In it: ~1990 Mazda Miata. Mostly straight body (rear got dinged a little), mostly complete interior. 1983 Mercedes 300TD engine. STRONG runner.

The engine has been mounted in the car, honestly all this thing needs to "drive" is a drive shaft fabbed, brakes redone (master cylinder and lines), and the little wiring required.

I will sell just the engine, but not just the Miata. (this actually is preferred. You'll have to help pull it, though...

Asking $500. The 300TD engine and transmission package often go for that! As always, trades are also considered.

Pics (excuse the leaves, we just had some serious wind blow through):

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
12/14/08 8:26 p.m.

how much were you drinking when you decided to start this project?

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/14/08 8:29 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: how much were you drinking when you decided to start this project?

Peer pressure is a bad thing, yo!

Honestly, I'm still tempted to finish it.

Luke
Luke Dork
12/14/08 9:13 p.m.

Wow, even by GRM standards, that's batE36 M3 insane. In the second photo, look how much engine sticks out of the car

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
12/14/08 11:02 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: how much were you drinking when you decided to start this project?

It'd probably require a few more to finish it. However, if I had the space, I would love to take this on. That has the potential to be a really cool car.

Stuc
Stuc HalfDork
12/14/08 11:24 p.m.
Osterizer wrote:
Peer pressure is a bad thing, yo! Honestly, I'm still tempted to finish it.

Do it, man. Looks like you already did all the hard work.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
12/15/08 7:43 a.m.

yeah, sorry, and no disrespect to the many other cars around here, but this has got to be the weirdest but just so totally cool swap idea ever. It makes no sense at all, but is some how just sooo right.

Chalk this up to another one I'm really glad isnt local or I'd be very tempted.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
12/15/08 7:52 a.m.

you are so close, just finish it! BTW if they add a trailer pulling contest to the challenge you will be untouchable! (now somebody go photoshop a miata pulling a tractor pull contest sled)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/08 8:13 a.m.

I am SOOO glad that I am no longer able to purchase cars from you... I even have cash but alas!

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/08 8:15 a.m.

What a brilliant idea! Pure genius.

I think you should finish it. Imagine how much a running/driving diesel Miata would command!?!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/15/08 9:20 a.m.

I agree-that has got to be one of the craziest potential challengers ive seen! I would love to have a beer with the crew that came up with that idea!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/08 10:59 a.m.

i want the engine for an S-10, but that's for another time....

webba1
webba1 New Reader
12/15/08 11:25 a.m.

So you were planning on using that miata to Tow your challenge car to the event?

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/15/08 11:44 a.m.

All talk, no money in my bank account!

JB, you're MORE than welcome to buy this one!

John Brown
12/15/08 12:48 p.m.

But Charleston, I need the Miata powered 300D for the four seats!

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/15/08 1:15 p.m.

Trust me, you didn't want the 300TD the engine came out of...

Yes, stuff rusts in Florida.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
12/15/08 2:22 p.m.

What trany did you use? Surely not the Miata gear box? I wonder what 5 speed gear boxes will fit behind it and handle the torque? Very cool idea, I have been toying with putting that engine in a small truck like an S10 or Ranger. I so want a small deisel P/U.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/15/08 2:37 p.m.

If it needs a driveshaft fabbed,then I'm going to guess it's not the stock transmission.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
12/15/08 2:45 p.m.

You might try land rover forums. They like to swap that motor in.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/08 2:46 p.m.

I can answer...the stock Mercedes automatic from the 300TD donor.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/15/08 3:03 p.m.
porksboy wrote: What trany did you use? Surely not the Miata gear box? I wonder what 5 speed gear boxes will fit behind it and handle the torque? Very cool idea, I have been toying with putting that engine in a small truck like an S10 or Ranger. I so want a small deisel P/U.

dyintorace is correct, it is the stock Mercedes 4 speed automatic transmission. They made a manual to go behind the engine, but they're hard to come across, and out of Challenge budget.

The driveshaft is needed to connect the Merc trans to the Miata diff.

John Brown
12/15/08 3:12 p.m.

And I will bet that a device will need to be fabbed to replace the PPF so the differential doesn't go all noodly on you.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/15/08 3:18 p.m.
John Brown wrote: And I will bet that a device will need to be fabbed to replace the PPF so the differential doesn't go all noodly on you.

How stoopid do you think we are down here? That's been done!

donalson
donalson SuperDork
12/15/08 8:23 p.m.

needs a SVO conversion still

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/08 12:28 a.m.

There is a manual Merc in the pick and pull in Columbus, Ohio. I think it is a 240D 4 cylinder though and don't know if if would swap to the 5 cylinder but I imagine it would.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6cmzVdnNoLdvVAwKHj4JTd95RlQ3t3pgTZbRUqcJNKV3QsxziaqVga6UcaJDUrhM