cleanone
cleanone None
12/5/11 11:06 a.m.

Up for sale is this very unique (because you just don't see them any more) 1988 Nissan Pulsar NX SE with the Sportbak option. This car is really cool (for a geek like me and you) but I just don't have the time or money to put into it as I already have a major project taking up the garage. Plus my wife hates it.

It runs and drives. The CA18DE engine needs a complete overhaul. I replaced the head gasket a month ago and it still runs rough. But is does not use as much water!!! It smokes a bit over 5000 rpm and misfires under 2700 rpm some of the time, ok, a lot of the time. Usually when it is hot. It also leaks oil.

The transmission shifts fine, nice and smooth. I replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders and hose in August.

The body is straight. It was originally silver and looks like it had a cheapo color change to black. The black is a single stage and is oxidized. Could use a buffing with some Nu-finish to bring the shine back! Also, the black has chipped off of the silver in a bunch of areas. The only major rust area is a 1.5" round spot between the gas filler door and the wheel well.

The interior is really clean for how old the car is. The drivers seat has a tear in the side bolster on both the upper and lower seat halfs. The dash has a pretty ugly crack in it that someone tried to repiar and did a horrible job. The odometer is stuck at 249,590 or there abouts. The trip meter just stopped working last week. The back seat folds down to give lots of room for car parts in the back. Also has T-top storage under the rear floor! The T-tops don't leak, but if you remove the stratigically placed saran wrap, they will.

The A/C works! and it is R134A!! And it blows Cold!!! The heat also works. A pioneer CD player is included too.

Right now the car is lowered on Ebay coil over sleeves and B-13 Sentra Tokico blues that were new in 1998. Stock struts and springs are included. The rear alignment bolts are seized up. I broke one of them trying to loosen it. I have driven many miles and the washer has not budged. The passenger side outter CV boot is completely split and most of the grease is gone now. Clickety clickety clickety, as is typical.

All of the accessories work except for the rear window defogger. Pop up headlights have not given me any issues. The Nissan factory tool kit and directions for removeing the Sportbak are included!!!! Yes, Nissan intended for this car to be driven without the T-tops or rear hatch for that open air diriving pleasure!!!

LIke I said, this car is cool. It just needs a new owner in search of a project. I would be neat to restore it, or drop in a Northstar drivetrain and take it to the challenge with plenty of room to pack spares. Plus instant weight savings when you pop off the sportbak!!!

The car is in Orlando Fl. call or text me at four o seven- six 9 four- 7 eight 3 zero.

These pics were taken soon after I purchased this car in May of this year. It had not been lowererd when these pics were taken. Wheels are 14x6 et35 MB with dual bolt pattern (4x100, 4x114.3) Right rear is currently blown, but the car is sitting on a 13" steel wheel with an ok tire (not the spare that is included with the car)

slefain
slefain SuperDork
12/5/11 11:32 a.m.

Smurf Hearse!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
12/5/11 11:40 a.m.

I haven't seen one of those in ages. That would be fun to own.

alex
alex SuperDork
12/5/11 12:21 p.m.

Man, I thought these disappeared a while ago. Now there's one in my new neighborhood and one parked along one of my delivery routes (a half block away from a street-parked, ratty/mean looking 2nd gen Javelin). Evidently I hang out in weird neighorhoods.

Good luck with the sale. Somebody's gonna be into that odd little beast.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/11 12:49 p.m.

I doubt that I've seen more than three of those.

RogerB
RogerB HalfDork
12/5/11 12:50 p.m.

Wow! I've never seen one with the "Sportback" option! I knew they existed, but didn't think anybody ever actually bought one! A friend of mine bought one new in '88. I loved it then, and I still think they're cool little cars. GLWS!

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
12/5/11 2:03 p.m.

If it was closer, I'd be buying. I had the non-sport back as my first car and always liked these mini-wagons. I'm feeling all nostalgic seeing this one.

cleanone
cleanone New Reader
12/5/11 2:11 p.m.
slefain wrote: Smurf Hearse!

Good one! The one that stuck for me though was "Hot Tub Time Machine". A friend of mine dubbed it that and I have been calling it that ever since. I have also been told that it looks like the offspring of a Delorean and a Hearse! Anyway, I think it is cool, but then again I am a Nissan dork (obviously or I would not have purchased it in the first place). I wish I had the time and money to work on it because it is so unique.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/5/11 2:19 p.m.

So many Pizza delivery guys are drooling now

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/5/11 3:25 p.m.

There was one of these on my local CL a few months ago, but it didn't look nearly as nice as this one...I also don't remember that one as being in running condition. i'm in Fl. just not sure I need a car that's as old as my current driver and has MORE miles on it...but it is tempting.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
12/5/11 4:05 p.m.

Glad I'm far way!! GLWS . . .

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
12/5/11 4:38 p.m.

sweeto car. good luck in the sale

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 New Reader
12/5/11 5:03 p.m.

Awesomely ugly....

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
12/5/11 8:13 p.m.

WOW never seen one. COOL

cwh
cwh SuperDork
12/6/11 3:07 p.m.

What other engines can go in there? SR20DE?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
12/6/11 7:47 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Glad I'm far way!! GLWS . . .
cleanone
cleanone New Reader
12/7/11 6:00 a.m.
cwh wrote: What other engines can go in there? SR20DE?

SR20s have been done. There are also FWD varients of the CA18DET that would drop right in. Search for Nissan EXA forums, lots of good info there including links for the Factory Service Manual.

orry
orry
1/25/12 8:44 a.m.

Very nice looking vehicle, I recently purchased a 1989 nissan pulsar nx se. I belong to a car club here in Canada and am very interested in showing the car both as a coupe and as a sportback. If the sportback is still up for sale please let me know the price and how to contact you. let me know if it is already gone.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/25/12 11:07 a.m.

I'm very aroused....

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/25/12 11:41 a.m.

someone where I live actually uses a blue one to deliver pizza lol

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
1/29/12 2:24 p.m.

i want this bad!

zzyzxgirl
zzyzxgirl New Reader
12/23/12 12:48 p.m.

Now, Here's a "REAL SMURF HEARSE"! LOL ! ! ! Only in California...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
12/23/12 4:34 p.m.

Wow... zombie thread!

corytate
corytate SuperDork
12/23/12 5:16 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: Wow... zombie thread!

ahhhh! the end came! only 2 days late!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kjLr0azn7pilDctpVlepYcUUlUVIRhGT70DQdywk2JRd50sfbijgINvyquire0M6