Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/3/09 3:57 p.m.

Yes, you've probably seen photos of this bike before, but I have finally decided to put it up for sale.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have owned this bike for eighteen years. I have also owned CB400F and CB750F Super Sports, but this 550 has always been my personal favorite. It has classic looks combined with light weight and ample power. It's the classic 70's middleweight sport bike.

It is mechanically stock with the exception of the four individual K+N air filters. It has the original factory 4 into 1 chrome pipe and stock jets in the carbs. While the tires have lots of tread on them, they are dry and should be replaced. I have two fuel tanks for it. The original tank has a small dent in it where it fell over while being transported in a pickup (damn previous owner!) but I have a second tank from another 77 SuperSport that is in much better shape although it needs paint. The tank dent never really bothered me and has been there the entire time that I have owned the bike. The seat was recovered many years ago, but it has no tears in it and is in excellent condition. I bought a new battery for it today and just did a valve adjustment.

Original owners manual and tool kit included. I have the title to this bike as well.

$1800, which is a fair price for a nice old classic bike. It is located in Western Connecticut, convenient to I-84.

If you have any interest in it, I would encourage you to buy it before Wherethefmi returns from Afghanistan with all of his accumulated combat pay, as he clearly wants to own this classic bike.

Peter Egan bought a CB550 when they were new. 'Nuf said.

http://www.sohc4.net/index.php?q=node/7

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
6/3/09 8:08 p.m.

Hey Woody are you in the Danbury area? I know a guy in Richfield,and I could have him pick it up for me,and hold it til I get out there.

Woody
6/3/09 8:34 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Hey Woody are you in the Danbury area? I know a guy in Richfield,and I could have him pick it up for me,and hold it til I get out there.

Yup. I'm about 15 minutes from Danbury, 30 from Ridgefield.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/3/09 11:25 p.m.

Nice bike! I've been sitting on a barn fresh 75 SS for 4 years now. I just traded a utility trailer to my brother in exchange for labor on it, so I might finally get to ride it this year!

OrangeRazor
OrangeRazor New Reader
6/4/09 9:06 p.m.

Negative, sir. His wife bought him a new CB350 in 1973. He bought a well used CB550 in 1994.

Regardless, you have a pristine bike at a very nice price. Now where are those oil bonds I bought a few years ago...

Woody
6/5/09 6:10 a.m.
OrangeRazor wrote:
Negative, sir. His wife bought him a new CB350 in 1973. He bought a well used CB550 in 1994. Regardless, you have a pristine bike at a very nice price. Now where are those oil bonds I bought a few years ago...

I need to go back and check my sources (the stack of Peter Egan books). I remember when he bought the used one (I still have the article), and I know that his wife bought him the 350. But, I believe he did also buy a new 550K.

Damn. Now I have to spend the entire day on some thoroughly enjoyable reading. If I'm wrong, I'll issue a retraction.

Great bike, nonetheless.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/09 9:05 a.m.
Woody wrote: I need to go back and check my sources (the stack of Peter Egan books). I remember when he bought the used one (I still have the article), and I know that his wife bought him the 350. But, I believe he did also buy a new 550K. Damn. Now I have to spend the entire day on some thoroughly enjoyable reading. If I'm wrong, I'll issue a retraction. Great bike, nonetheless.

I think he's owned both guys.

I read Leanings and I seem to remember him buying a 350 and touring as a young guy. Then later he has some story about finding a well kept 550 later in life.

Shouldn't wikipedia have an list of motorcycles he's owned or something? I mean they mapped out the timeline for the Back To The Future movies. They should have this as well...

Just did a quick search. No one has documented this according to what I didn't find on google.

Woody
6/5/09 11:12 a.m.

Okay, I just spent a very pleasant morning flipping through copies of Peter Egan's Leanings and Leanings 2. The index of each book lists each bike he has written about.

I was wrong. His wife bought him the 350 new and then years later, he bought the same used CB550 twice.

He mentions the bike in both books.

This is from his column in the June 1994 issue of Cycle World:

"Often Overlooked In Favor Of Its Bigger Brother, The Honda CB550 Four Was (And Is) A Minor Classic In Its Own Right

All right, I've wanted one of these bikes for a long time. The Honda 550 Four was a motorcycle I missed during my meteoric rise through the displacement ranks in the early Seventies, having gone straight from a Honda CB350 Twin to a Norton 850 Commando. Nevertheless, I almost bought a 550 instead of the Norton, and spent many hours at Honda shops regarding the middleweight Honda from as many angles as possible and snagging brochures which could be pored over at home.

Why this enthusiasm for the 550 when the larger, faster and more famous CB750 sat nearby on the showroom floor and could be had for just a few hundred dollars more?

The magic word was Balance.

You heard it repeated over and again, in the road tests of the time, in editorials, from the mouths of owners and in the small but expanding band of American riders tuned into the cult of the cafe-racer. The 550 was not too big, not too small, lower and narrower than the 750, nicely proportioned and it handled effortlessly. Both Cycle World and Cycle remarked that it was probably the best handling Japanese bike you could buy."

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/09 2:26 p.m.

I have to agree with Mr. Egan. I had a TL1000S. It was a monster. Too much a monster as I never rode it to it's potential.

I'd say a bike that size would be a lot of fun if you're goal is to enjoy yourself. If you're trying to go Back To The Future on every ride you'll be bored and disillusioned pretty quick.

That bike owes a serious debt to brit bikes that came before it. Check out the seating position, seat design, exhaust shape, etc. It's practically an homage to Triumph. The difference being it may actually run without constant maintenance.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/10/09 7:28 p.m.

Shameless e-Bay plug:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270404219752&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

Ends Saturday evening.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
6/11/09 12:51 p.m.
Woody wrote: Shameless e-Bay plug: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270404219752&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT Ends Saturday evening.

Is your reserve what you were offering it for here?

Woody
6/11/09 1:54 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Woody wrote: Shameless e-Bay plug: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270404219752&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT Ends Saturday evening.
Is your reserve what you were offering it for here?

Yes, but both are less than what I have posted it for elsewhere. Call it a GRM discount.

Woody
6/13/09 8:07 p.m.

SOLD!

LHolmes
LHolmes New Reader
9/26/11 4:15 p.m.

Wow I missed out on this one. This is exactly what I am looking for. If the person who bought this bike wants to make a slight profit on it let me know. I would pay more for it. :o) In reply to Woody:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4J95OatX4GyJyEXgdHVj3G53f4KiMaObdwFcaLek6agmX71m83PIAoDKfGc9f1n