1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/10/12 3:04 p.m.

This is my Challenge car for this year, that I'm hoping to not have to tow back from the Challenge.

It is a 1986 Pontiac Fiero with a 500cu-in Cadillac engine and longitudinal transmission from a '72 or '73 Eldorado (the guy I bought it from didn't know which) swapped in.

Frame and body are in good shape. I've put new shocks and struts on all four corners and poly bushings on the front sway bar. Adding a rear sway bar is in the plans, as is some mods to the rear suspension to lower it. The small 1-row stock radiator has been upgraded to an aluminum 3-row aftermarket one. I've put a bigger carb in it too- a 750cfm Edelbrock- and am relocating the battery to the front.

My budget for the Challenge will be pushing the limit, but also includes a number of parts (mostly wheels/tires) that will not be getting sold with the car so I'm asking $1500 for it. Additional mods/improvements I make will most likely be included with the car in the sale, but will not be increasing the sale price. Unless it's something really expensive, it will just be included on the $1500 price. It has a fresh Kentucky title and is licensed and registered.

I have pictures of course, but no really good way to post them here, so if you're interested send me an email (rbabcock at gmail) and I'll get the pictures to you and I'll of course answer questions about it as best as I can.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/10/12 4:51 p.m.

I'm confused.

Is the motor in the front?

How did you start with a mid-engine transverse engine car, add the largest cu-in engine ever built and switch it to a longitudinal layout without moving the rear wheels 3 feet behind the car??

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
9/10/12 5:02 p.m.

I have no money or room for another car, but I'd love to see pics! I might just have to email.

alex
alex UltraDork
9/10/12 6:45 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I'm confused. Is the motor in the front? How did you start with a mid-engine transverse engine car, add the largest cu-in engine ever built and switch it to a longitudinal layout without moving the rear wheels 3 feet behind the car??

Given that his Eldo transmission comes from a FWD car, I'm guessing "longitudinal" was a brain fart and the motor's still in the back where God intended.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
9/10/12 7:50 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I'm confused. Is the motor in the front? How did you start with a mid-engine transverse engine car, add the largest cu-in engine ever built and switch it to a longitudinal layout without moving the rear wheels 3 feet behind the car??

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=fiero+th325+cadillac&oq=fiero+th325+cadillac

Generally speaking, if you can think of it, it's probably been done in a Fiero.

Bryce

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
9/10/12 9:27 p.m.

Kind of like this.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
9/10/12 10:19 p.m.

So the engine is behind the rear axle? WHEELIE MACHINE!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/12 12:12 a.m.

Actually, the way they originally were in Toronado/Eldorados (which were NOT TRANSVERSE) the axle was just about under the center of the engine.

Now, mind you, the transmission was behind the engine, and it probably weighed close to the weight of a small V8 engine...

blizazer
blizazer Reader
9/11/12 5:55 a.m.

Cadillac big blocks and Fieros, two of my favorite things!

I can't wait to hear how you do at the Challenge!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/12 7:07 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=fiero+th325+cadillac&oq=fiero+th325+cadillac Generally speaking, if you can think of it, it's probably been done in a Fiero. Bryce

With one of these.

The Turbo-Hydromatic 425

Ashyukun
9/11/12 7:56 a.m.

Toyman01 & the others are correct: the Eldo's used a TH425 longitudinal transmission, and that's what is in the back of this Fiero. The swap in this Fiero is a bit different than the one in HappyAndy's pic, but it does fill the bay up pretty similarly.

As for it being a wheelie machine... that is a definite concern, as I've not had it out after adjusting the throttle cable and putting the new carb on it to punch it and see what happens. I have no illusions that this thing is RIDICULOUSLY rear-end heavy.

I have to wonder though, are wheelie bars counted as 'safety equipment' and exempt from the budget? :P

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/11/12 8:27 a.m.

I can't wait to see this at the Challenge.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/11/12 11:24 a.m.

OK, so I'll re-phrase it.

Start with a perfectly good mid-engine transverse engine car, add the heaviest lump of iron Detroit ever made plus an equally stout transmission all behind the rear axle, then also mount the engine higher to raise the center of gravity as much as you can.

Is that close?

I don't get it. Somehow, even a Yugo with a Caddy 500 mounted in the rear seems to make more sense.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/11/12 11:25 a.m.

But, I agree. I can't wait to see it at the Challenge.

corytate
corytate Dork
9/11/12 12:12 p.m.
SVreX wrote: OK, so I'll re-phrase it. Start with a perfectly good mid-engine transverse engine car, add the heaviest lump of iron Detroit ever made plus an equally stout transmission all behind the rear axle, then also mount the engine higher to raise the center of gravity as much as you can. Is that close? I don't get it. Somehow, even a Yugo with a Caddy 500 mounted in the rear seems to make more sense.

BECAUSE RACECAR

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/12 12:19 p.m.

For what it's worth, tinypic.com is a nice free image host for one-off photos. You don't need to register. The only caveat is that images disappear after 90 days, but for advertisements, that's no problem.

Ashyukun
9/11/12 1:14 p.m.

For the record, I didn't do the swap myself- I had planned on getting a Fiero for next year's Challenge and doing a milder engine swap (forced-induction V6 or the likes), but my free time this year was completely obliterated by work travel and I wasn't able to get nearly done with the car I was working on, and I found this car for a Challenge-friendly price and figured that it would be a lot of fun (if not somewhat insane) to drive at the Challenge and grabbed it.

TinyPic didn't work since I'm on the road and am limited to my iPad/iPhone and work laptop (which I can't load the pics onto), but I was able to put a few up on PhotoBucket, so hopefully this will work...

Ashyukun
9/11/12 1:16 p.m.

Ok, so inline looks like it isn't going to work- here's the album link, hopefully it will work... Fiero Photos

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
9/11/12 3:38 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Start with a perfectly good mid-engine transverse engine car, add the heaviest lump of iron Detroit ever made

Actually the Caddy 500 isn't much heavier than a small block Chevy. Definitely not as much as a big block Chevy.

Now as to whether or not a Fiero was ever a "perfectly good" car, well that's up to interpretation. ;-)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/11/12 3:47 p.m.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
9/11/12 4:04 p.m.

Here you go.

Ashyukun
9/11/12 4:14 p.m.

Thanks!

The second-to-last one, the rear suspension with the wheel off, is the original state of it when I got it. I've removed the chain and second damper and am trying to get the rear suspension sorted out properly.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/12 10:41 p.m.

that is by far the coolest thing i've seen today.

but alas i am north of you so i can't help you by not wanting to bring it back from florida.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/12/12 8:19 a.m.

Those coils look pretty weird!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
9/12/12 8:22 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
SVreX wrote: Start with a perfectly good mid-engine transverse engine car, add the heaviest lump of iron Detroit ever made
Actually the Caddy 500 isn't much heavier than a small block Chevy. Definitely not as much as a big block Chevy.

It's about 50 lbs heavier than a SB and about 60lbs lighter than a BB.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VU2O5BS4R44oE79SJwXYpHh99IgvckUBP2QSPUhh6wDthwOm8QNZSsYcgelXUEuv