1 2 3
camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/4/11 10:21 a.m.

SOLD!!!

I am selling my Grassroots Motorsports Challenge / Autocross project. I have took a look at my current/future projects and realized that I don’t have time to finish this any time soon, and I have already pushed it off 2 years from its original completion date. This is a chance to build something truly unique, and have a fun/competitive car.

Car

1975 Porsche 914

Most recent picture, has since been put back together to the point where it can be rolled around.

Interior stripped of everything not necessary, and allowed by Grassroots Motorsports Challenge rules. The car overall is very solid. Rust in the typical place, below the battery. “Hell hole” repairs begun. Some rust in doors, and slight bubbling behind where the vinyl used to be on the hoop. (Removed after the picture was taken.)

Suspension

Front Koni adjustable strut inserts

Rear KYB Gas Adjust shocks

Coilover collars, perches, and bearings for front and rear (all brand new)

3, 400 lb/in springs, and 2, 250 lb/in springs

Polyurethane front control arm, and rear trailing arm bushings

New trailing arm shafts

Wheels/Tires

5, stock 914 “Mahle” wheels. One with a bent lip but still held air. Currently 4 of the wheels have 4 old “roller” tires

4, used 205/50-15 Hoosier SM (Spec Miata) compound DOT slicks

4, used 205/50-15 Toyo RA1 tires

Other

Cracked, but repairable fiberglass front bumper

Tie down hooks for use while towing front and rear (new)

Radio delete panel

4 gallon fuel cell (original tank is still in place)

Corbeau 5-pt Camlock harness, brand new, but too old for competition use other than autocross

See build thread for pictures. Most recent pictures can be found here

I think that is all, but I may be forgetting something.

Price: $900, FIRM, can deliver within one hour of Harrisburg, PA 17113

I have the title for the car in my name, so you could theoretically make it a street legal car if you choose to, depending on your state’s regulations.

SOLD!!!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/4/11 10:37 a.m.

an abundance of WANT has been located...

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/4/11 10:52 a.m.

omg. this hurts. a lot.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/4/11 10:58 a.m.

i read 'suburban' drivetrain the first time.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/11 11:22 a.m.

I kept saying "Don't be in Michigan, Don't be in Michigan, Don't be in Michigan!" PHEW!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/11 11:31 a.m.

Oh man, that is a cool project. Do want!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/11 12:15 p.m.

Do want!

Am in PA!

Step 1: Convince SWMBO to WANT

Step 2: Pickup project

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Profit!

DAMN YOU!!!

John Brown
4/4/11 12:18 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Do want! Am in PA! Step 1: Convince SWMBO to WANT Step 2: Pickup project Step 3: Build Step 4: Profit from fame and fortune! DAMN YOU!!!

Just clarifying.

Javelin
4/4/11 1:00 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Do want! Am in PA! Step 1: Pickup project Step 2: Apologize to SWMBO with something shiney Step 3: ???? Step 4: Profit! DAMN YOU!!!

Fixed.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/6/11 10:30 a.m.

Its nice being an enabler. I'm usually on the opposite side.

I would have really liked to see this one through, but to see what someone else can do will have to do.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/6/11 11:50 a.m.

Must resist urge....with all the subie stuff I have from project wartburg I could mix and match to finish the 'burg and build this. However I dont have time to finish one let alone 2 :(

John Brown
4/6/11 12:38 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Must resist urge....with all the subie stuff I have from project wartburg I could mix and match to finish the 'burg and build this. However I dont have time to finish one let alone 2 :(

Tell Mrs. Thw8 it is for HER and you could use it as the "Shiny stuff for SWMBO"!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/6/11 1:25 p.m.

Is the Porsche - Subaru adapter kit included?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/6/11 1:41 p.m.
John Brown wrote:
JThw8 wrote: Must resist urge....with all the subie stuff I have from project wartburg I could mix and match to finish the 'burg and build this. However I dont have time to finish one let alone 2 :(
Tell Mrs. Thw8 it is for HER and you could use it as the "Shiny stuff for SWMBO"!

She's just waiting for the 2.0T to go in the Wartburg so I can put its 2.2 NA into her VW Thing

DILYSI Dave wrote: Is the Porsche - Subaru adapter kit included?

Sounds like he has an FWD Subie trans and was planning on using that instead.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/6/11 2:50 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:

That is correct. Both the Subaru and Porsche axles are included. My thought was to machine, and sleeve them together. A friend does this for CSR and DSR cars, and was going to take a look at them. He also mentioned the possibility of machining the spline for inside the CV bearing on to the shaft if the shaft was bigger and the included angle made it possible, but we never got to looking into it that far.

Javelin
4/6/11 3:21 p.m.

I can't stop thinking about this car...

Realistically, how long would it take to finish? Is it rollable/boxed up enough to transport multiple states away?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/6/11 7:36 p.m.

It is back at a "roller" level. All parts but the tires and engine are actually in the the trunks or in the car. I would say it is very easily transportable.

With the right combination of know how and time, it would probably be possible to complete for this year's challenge, especially with help. I was working alone.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
4/6/11 10:27 p.m.
camaroz1985 wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
That is correct. Both the Subaru and Porsche axles are included. My thought was to machine, and sleeve them together. A friend does this for CSR and DSR cars, and was going to take a look at them. He also mentioned the possibility of machining the spline for inside the CV bearing on to the shaft if the shaft was bigger and the included angle made it possible, but we never got to looking into it that far.

Great car!

I'd reconsider that FWD Subie trans. It's gonna have a tough time putting 220 hp to the ground.

Either do the adapter plate and go Porsche, or use one of the stronger Subie AWD transmissions and block out the rear output.

Besides, FWD Subie trannies are rear linkage (which makes them really long in a mid-engine position by the time you hook up the shifter). AWD Subie trannies are top shift (easy to cable shift).

Just a thought- but not a showstopper by any means.

Good luck with your sale!

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/11 8:50 a.m.

thank god its not in atlanta!

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
4/7/11 9:46 a.m.

why cant this be farther away....

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/7/11 12:51 p.m.

Because it is meant to be

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
4/7/11 2:38 p.m.

how far down the e85 path have you gone?

is everything still 4 lug?

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
4/7/11 4:12 p.m.

Only far enough to know I need bigger injectors, and a tunable computer, which are both included. Not sure what else you might be referring to.

Yes, everything is still 4 lug.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/8/11 9:59 a.m.

damnit I wish I had some extra cash...this is one of 2 or 3 GREAT challenge paths Ive wanted to head down. Good luck and free bump!

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/8/11 3:00 p.m.
John Brown wrote: I kept saying "Don't be in Michigan, Don't be in Michigan, Don't be in Michigan!" PHEW!

Jmfnb, you know full well you and I have gone alot further for alot less of a car...

Joey

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cbf0rpEx7oQjFwDrXau8Dc914WX6oU8gIoZTfFB9tjbxC4dsaSWvN4xPkfqw6ENb