HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
5/24/15 3:32 p.m.

NMNA. found on Delaware CL. If I had $400 for a toy, I'd already be on my way to get it. Even if the engine is trashed, that's a smokin' deal if the rest is solid.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
5/24/15 7:16 p.m.

Now I've got to find an excuse to drive to delaware

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/24/15 10:32 p.m.

Damn....I've been looking for one of these and that's a steal. Sadly I made plans for tomorrow or I'd be on my way to get it. If it hasn't gone away already I'll hafta try to get it this week.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/15 6:06 a.m.

Vesta?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
5/25/15 8:10 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

The ad is so poorly written that I think you have a decent chance of it going unnoticed for a while.

I found it just by searching all in motorcycles and scooters under $1k. Vespa is spelled wrong, Italian, vintage and scooter are not in the text. The only way to find that listing is to stumble on it in a general search.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/25/15 10:23 a.m.

Yeah, I'm hoping so. I emailed him but no response yet. Its a bit further than I'm ready to drive the '66 yet so I wonder if I can strap it down sideways on the tow dolly.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/25/15 12:51 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

I tried to strap my Grom on my tow dolly but the wheelbase was just a little too short to fit sideways.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/25/15 3:57 p.m.
EvanB wrote: In reply to JThw8: I tried to strap my Grom on my tow dolly but the wheelbase was just a little too short to fit sideways.

Technically the platform on mine goes the whole way across so I dont have to get the wheels in the wheel slots I might just have to take the truck down there and hope all works well. Of course all of that assumes I ever hear from the seller, he only has an email address on there so I can't call him.

Wife has not vetoed the idea.

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
5/25/15 6:52 p.m.

From a friend who knows about these:

"It's an Indian/Asian bike, not Italian. It has the wrong speedo, and pillion seat pan. It could be a solid bike, but should be gone through to make sure its not more of a death trap then any other motorbike."

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
5/25/15 9:53 p.m.

In reply to Sil80redtop: I'm by no means an authority, but aren't the legit vintage Asian vespas built from actual Paggio/Vespa tooling? Also, aren't the early 2 cycle genuine Stella's legit Vespa clones?

I know about Chetak scooters too, they are more of a knock off than a clone, but that one doesn't look look like a Chetak.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
5/26/15 1:54 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Sil80redtop: I'm by no means an authority, but aren't the legit vintage Asian vespas built from actual Paggio/Vespa tooling? Also, aren't the early 2 cycle genuine Stella's legit Vespa clones? I know about Chetak scooters too, they are more of a knock off than a clone, but that one doesn't look look like a Chetak.

Stellia or Chetak its STILL cheaper than it should be

Pennintj
Pennintj New Reader
5/28/15 5:26 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: NMNA. found on Delaware CL. If I had $400 for a toy, I'd already be on my way to get it. Even if the engine is trashed, that's a smokin' deal if the rest is solid.

Nightmare.

If you're looking for a $400 conversation piece, this is your bike. It's a Bajaj Chetak "restored" with a Vespa badge stuck on them. The engines are usually comprised of tin cans and old bearings.

If you brought that into my shop to work on my initial quote would be $1,500 to look at it. And by that I mean installing a new replacement engine and going from there. And that's if it's an Indian-restored bike and not a Vietnamese or Indonesian one (they usually have clamshell speedometers)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HRrZnUmfasDPKKD6k6NOYaTWd8GlnlL8Po7Kdo6Udvmt9yOhShQoheFuKt3POsNK