1 2
Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/13 10:40 a.m.

Ok, last chance! I found a running, driving turbo miata locally for challenge money. Now I just need to clear the rest of the projects out. If someone on here doesn't take it I'm going to separate the motor/trans and body and sell them separately. I'm pretty sure I've got a local GRM'er that is interested in the tub if I do this so, SPEAK UP! lol As much as I want to finish it, SWMBO started Grad school last week, combined with her being laid off last month has seriously made me look at priorities. A running driving car, vs a fun car (maybe?)if I can get it finished and buttoned up with what seems like my entire family wanting my attention at the same time means I won't be working on it any time soon.

Video of the last time we got around to working on it is right here in this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/so-where-is-the-diesel-miata/54823/page1/

Pretty sure a pressurized fuel system and a healthy battery would get it started, a rebuilt/replaced turbo would have it running nicely. Put a driveshaft in it, mount a seat, button up a few things like oil cooler/radiator mount and drive it. it's already gutted.

600.00 obo? I part it out I'm sure I could make more but I would really like to see this thing finished. SO SOMEONE FINISH IT!!!!!!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/13 10:48 a.m.

Ahhh I want it but no way to get it up to Ohio.

Spinout007
5/20/13 10:53 a.m.

I can store it for a "nominal fee" till the challenge, but I've got a make a move very soon on the local miata.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/20/13 11:04 a.m.

Hummmmm me is thinking.. . . . . I need to figure out transport and weigh the options on asking permission versus forgiveness with the wife.

Spinout007
5/20/13 12:08 p.m.

LOL ok

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
5/20/13 1:23 p.m.

What's the story? How much has been done? What transmission and rear end?

Oh, and pics. Duh.

Spinout007
5/20/13 1:32 p.m.

300SD 5cyl turbo diesel, auto trans from said car, stock miata rear. It's mounted. Needs a driveshaft, radiator/oil cooler mounted, dash bar, and dash put back in, wiring sorted(most of the stock miata harness is there, PO of the shell cut a bit of the engine side as it was going to be a V8 swap car before we got our hands on it). Front suspension is solid right now, so it would need springs sorted out right now, (as in stock miata shocks with pipe over the shafts to hold it up right now) There is a video in the link above about 3/4 of the way down the page of the last time we played with it. Fairly straight body, few dings. top is starting to go. I'll get picks up of it later.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
5/20/13 2:05 p.m.

Regarding stock miata rear: What year? Or, was it originally fitted with a 1.6 or 1.8?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/13 2:09 p.m.

Does it have a title? Would it be ok on a tow dolly or should it go on a trailer?

Has anybody ever transported a Miata in the back of a moving truck? Seems like it would fit.

Spinout007
5/20/13 4:55 p.m.

Clear signed title in the PO's name, and its a 90 shell. I don't see why it couldn't go on a dolly with decent rubber on there. The tires look good but they're old.

Spinout007
5/20/13 6:54 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

Was thinking about the box truck thing over dinner, and all can add is I believe it could be done with the floor built up to clear the wheel "tubs" or inner fenders. I think I also remember the exocet guys using one to transport their cars. Size wise there is no reason it can't be done, the one I drove last summer to move my grandmother was rated for 10,000lbs of cargo.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/13 7:43 p.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

I have a truck and flat trailer but it would be about 1000 in gas to go to Florida and back. I was thinking about flying in and renting a truck. It might be a wash on money but would save a day. Still trying to figure out the logistics if this hair brained idea

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
5/20/13 7:51 p.m.

Damn. I'm in titusville, but don't have the cash to buy right now. Wife would kill me, but I would totally finish that thing. I know lots of merc guys, and fab guys. Trade for stuff maybe?

Spinout007
5/20/13 10:15 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

Fixing to answer your PM.

Jaxmadine, honestly would only be interested in something that can be sold rather quickly so I can jump on this miata. It's kind of a sweetheart deal as long as you don't count the hours of labor, nights without sleep, and marital speedbumps I've dealt with during the construction of the car over the last 5 years as it has bounced around various owners. something about buying a highly modified car that you've touched in intimate ways.... I'll stop there.

Edit: actually there may be some vintage Porsche parts, or 330i parts that may work as well. Gotta ask the seller.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
5/21/13 7:01 a.m.

I might be able to get ahold of some 356 parts. There's most of a whole car, but its not very useful, and I would have to talk to a friend about it. I would just want to finish it. I always have to have a project, andim fresh out. Lol.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
5/21/13 10:05 a.m.

I'll offer free hosting for whatever you want on dieselzoomzoom.com!

Spinout007
5/21/13 10:17 a.m.

Talked to the guy selling the car I'm looking at now this morning. He's not looking for anything atm, so I guess I'm not looking for anything trade wise unless it would be easily flipped.

Spinout007
5/21/13 10:19 a.m.

Oh and due to nasty weather last night, I will try and get pics up tonight.

Spinout007
5/22/13 1:47 p.m.

Diata

Sorry for the delay guys, my DSLR battery pack went AWOL so I was stuck with the cell phone. Lemme know if anyone wants to see anything else.

RossD
RossD UberDork
5/22/13 4:27 p.m.

Good luck with the sale!

(Where you actively jumping on one foot or where you trying to swat bees with both hands while taking those photos? )

Spinout007
5/22/13 6:09 p.m.

No, I shake horribly after and couple of years on seriously heavy pain meds jacked with my nerves.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/22/13 7:13 p.m.

I'm surprised this hasn't sold. Folks pay $600 for Miata shells routinely. This one happens to come with a motor and transmission that could be sold off to recoup some (all?) of that expense.

Spinout007
5/22/13 9:12 p.m.

Not to mention all the parts that come with it. Logdog passed on it, he couldn't justify the expense of getting it to Michigan. I'll give it till the end of the weekend, then I will separate them.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/24/13 9:02 p.m.

You forgot the periscope.

The owner's gonna need a periscope to see over that engine! Lol!!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/13 5:05 p.m.

So did this ever sell?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
itz6EBmb91m99HmyoPpQNR8vlu3Z1SV5HzQHDR0JDWnLy8loS2keOknJ1oOu7N0T