1 2
PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/2/11 1:03 p.m.

I have this listed for $2700 on Craigslist and other boards so already discounted GRMers. Yes, the 2nd photo is a joke.

1982 Ford E250 Quigley 4x4 Cargo Van Approximately 106k Miles (Odo says 6k but safe to assume it has rolled) 351 V8 with a 3-speed Auto True 4x4 Hi/Lo

This is a true Quigley 4x4 conversion from 1982 (Quigley build plate in the door jamb). There are no side windows in the back (only in the side door) so I assume it has always been a work or cargo van, which is how it is configured today (2 front seats only). I bought this van maybe a year ago, replaced a brake line and upper rad hose, got a new windshield, installed seat belts, a dash pad, new filters, blower fan, and tried to clean it up a bit, but I'm just ready to go back to a truck. The 4x4 with manual front hubs absolutely works and if you know Quigleys you know this has solid axles with Danas and Spicer hubs so you could easily install lockers for more off-road performance (I've never off-roaded this but I've used 4x4 several times in winter). This is a full-size (not the shortie van) so it's a big old monster with the 4wd setup underneath. It has no problem out on the highway other than being a noisy old cargo van with dual side-exit exhaust.

A note about the 351: I was told this is a 351 (rather than a 302) but I have no idea how to confirm. I've looked around and cannot seem to find a definitive method of checking. If 351 vs. 302 matters to you and you know how to check it for sure, I'm happy to do it.

Of course the van needs some TLC. It was repainted at some point and the paint job is just average. It does appear that brown was the original color so everything basically matches, but you can tell the exterior was re-sprayed. Most of the weather seals are tired so there is a lot of wind noise on the highway, the stereo does not work (turns on but the speakers seem to be dead -- I drive it so little I never even looked at the wiring), it needs a new temp gauge or sender, and it needs new door locks (I have them with keys but not installed). A couple of these should be easy fixes, but I own 7 vehicles and this one just needs to go. The interior is a true cargo configuration and the previous owner put down a large rubber mat that is still in fine condition. I've put maybe 1,000 miles on this as I literally use it just for trips to Home Depot or hauling a random piece of furniture and it has never failed to start or get me down the road even in zero degree weather.

It is inspected for another 8 months or so, but does not currently have an emissions sticker (never tried since when I bought it I was outside Allegheny county). The tires are decent and I would expect them to pass again. Previous owner mentioned a ball joint but it seems to track straight (maybe a slight pull under braking but not on my most recent drive...?). It does not smoke and the motor seems healthy, but as you might expect from a 30 year-old Ford V8 it does drip or consume a little oil. I can see that it at least needs an oil pan gasket. Anywhere I've looked the frame is in great shape and the body is showing some surface spots but this van is definitely not rusted out.

Bottom line this is a running, driving, inspected 82 Quigley cargo that needs some TLC. I don't want to waste anyone's time so please read the whole ad and ask any questions before you ask to show up with expectations. As you can see I have tried to disclose known problems as I'm not interested in fooling anyone as to what this vehicle is or is not. You are welcome to test drive if you show up with $2010 in your hand. This van is nearly 30 years old and it is not pretty inside or out, but it is a solid runner that will blow through terrain in 4x4.

I might trade this for a truck of similar value (will certainly consider a 2wd if it's in a little better condition) or possibly a fuel-injected 2wd van. I am available most evenings to show the Quigley.

Prefer PM's for now but I'm happy to discuss over the phone after initial contact.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
5/2/11 1:14 p.m.

There is something so hot about a 4x4 van. Must look away lest I offer up my 2wd Chevy dually for trade :)

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
5/2/11 5:03 p.m.
PoisonousBeef wrote: A note about the 351: I was told this is a 351 (rather than a 302) but I have no idea how to confirm. I've looked around and cannot seem to find a definitive method of checking. If 351 vs. 302 matters to you and you know how to check it for sure, I'm happy to do it.

Measure the width of the intake manifold. A 351W intake is wider than a 302, around 11" or so.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/11 9:28 p.m.

that van is awesome

sachilles
sachilles Dork
5/3/11 8:16 a.m.

I've always wanted one of these. Poor timing.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/11 8:31 a.m.
PoisonousBeef wrote:

Subtle.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/3/11 8:35 a.m.

My oh my is that tempting. Pretty sure this would get me more killed than either a Volvo or a Subaru.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
5/3/11 10:34 a.m.

Does it have a hitch or receiver?

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/3/11 11:47 a.m.

It does have a receiver. I've never had the need to tow anything so I haven't looked at it closely but I can try to get a photo and some details on it tonight or tomorrow.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
5/3/11 5:57 p.m.

My wife wants to know how you got the photo of you in the van at the playground. Did you offer a child candy to take the picture?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/3/11 6:48 p.m.

As I recall, 351 and 302 should have different firing orders, but I don't remember what they are.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
5/3/11 7:30 p.m.

yes 351's use a different fire order however the pistons are in the same locals so you can run a 351 cam in a 302 and visa versa just have to use the fire order for that cam. My speed shop once ordered me the wrong cam took me a week to figure what the hell was wrong.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/3/11 8:19 p.m.

Thanks for adding the info, but I probably won't try to check the firing order. I may go out and measure the intake manifold when I get a minute this week but I'm honestly not in a hurry unless the 351/302 issue becomes a deal breaker. We've got a nice cold rain going tonight and this thing doesn't fit inside my home garage.

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
5/3/11 8:41 p.m.

If you can see where the distributor goes in to the block, look and see if it is below or even with the intake. Below=351, even=302

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
5/4/11 9:43 p.m.

Damn you $4 gas

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/5/11 12:23 p.m.
Fit_Is_Slo wrote: Damn you $4 gas

You're in luck. This is van runs on hopes and dreams.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
5/5/11 1:21 p.m.
PoisonousBeef wrote:
Fit_Is_Slo wrote: Damn you $4 gas
You're in luck. This is van runs on hopes and dreams of children.

FTFY.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/5/11 2:46 p.m.

Can I get this as a vinyl wrap on it?

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/5/11 8:42 p.m.

Here are some more pictures I took this evening.

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/9/11 1:51 p.m.

Edit: I apparently can't count (and I don't add too good neither) Odometer reads 106k, not 160k.

Also confirmed that the speedo works just fine when the front hubs are unlocked. I drive so little I forgot to unlock them after winter but noticed it over the weekend and voila, speedometer functional.

failboat
failboat Reader
5/10/11 4:50 p.m.

thats a damn clean van for its age. i want but am in no position to buy at all, if you posted this 6 months ago i may have been all over it.

GLWS

PoisonousBeef
PoisonousBeef New Reader
5/19/11 10:27 p.m.

Chocolate Thunder is ready to ROLL!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/11 8:13 p.m.

youve got to be freaking kidding me that it has not sold yet.

wish i had something you wanted, like a 71 year old truck project on a stock car chassis. because i love this van.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Reader
5/20/11 10:31 p.m.

Seriously, what he said. ^

My girlfriend has even given her blessing to buying this behemoth, although that might be because she finds the playground picture hilarious.

Just wish I had a use for the thing, other than hauling our bikes around.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/20/11 10:51 p.m.

bitchin van. Too far for me though. I'd love a road trip...just don't have the time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UbG4HQHfK6qsJxl98HRemSfujx7XMjui7mPArTc4L2yamzlRdrPxGYcrqlJzHcm4