Treb
Treb Reader
5/25/11 8:16 p.m.

1995 Jetta, 2.0/5speed

GRM price: $500. Located in Lexington, KY.

207,000 miles

The last 100,000 or so are just about pure highway miles. I've used it as a DD on a long commute for over a year. Runs nicely, handles well enough, AC blows cold-ish.

Recent work: replaced ignition switch new front struts (KYB); new-to-me rear Koni reds. HR lowering springs... about 1" lower than stock. (Springs and KONIs from a GRM-er a few years ago) Rebuilt front suspension -- ball joints, bushings (poly), strut mounts (converted to VR6/late style) New rear wheel bearings Tuneup: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, K&N air filter. 200,000 mile alternator replaced with 80,000 mile alternator All of the common drastic oil leaks on this motor have occurred -- and been fixed -- in the last 8 months. Oil pressure sensors, oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket, breather tube seal. (I made huge smokescreens while I limped the car home, but you should be good for a while).

Everything in the exhaust from the exhaust manifold back is under 5 years old; the cat and downpipe less than 3.

I'm trying to remember what else I've done... the car is in not-terrible overall shape. I found a set of old brake pads marked VW in the garage this weekend, which would imply that I've put new brake pads on in the last 3 years, but honestly have no memory of having done so.

The bad part -- one big rust hole, on the driver's side front shock tower. The slightly-ameliorating bit: I have a patch panel, ready to weld in.

The body has a few dents -- it lived and parked in New York in its early years, and has been a winter beater since.

Occasionally runs slightly rough in cold or wet.

Will probably need a LF wheel bearing sometime soon.

Radio and cruise control are dead. (if you know MK3s, I did the cc fix with the external relay and it worked for a while, but haven't investigated the re-failure). I removed the alarm module because it would go off randomly.

Spares package, including: ss braided brake hoses (new) used AC compressor (alleged to work) used alternator (works but noisy) the not-yet-installed parts of the full poly bushing kit rear beam bushings, with poly inserts (see above) timing belt and tensioner

Have most service records back to about '98 or '97 from PO. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

I'll try to post some pics, but the good camera is on vacation with my wife, and the bad camera is... bad.

Matt

Treb
Treb Reader
6/6/11 7:02 p.m.

Still available...

Treb
Treb Reader
6/7/11 3:16 p.m.

PM replied to.

One other thing I thought of. These cars often have problems with the transmission jumping out of gear. This one is fine -- I've never had a problem with that.

Matt

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
6/7/11 5:48 p.m.

If I needed a car, or had any room for that matter, I'd be all over this.

Treb
Treb Reader
6/8/11 11:04 a.m.

It's close. It's cheap.

Come on, the GRM boards are full of enablers...

Matt

Treb
Treb Reader
6/10/11 7:54 a.m.

Forgot to add: new tires last fall. Good all-seasons -- BFG g-force Super Sport, which tirerack calls a high performance all-season. Based on the mileage out of the last set, should be 30k+ left in them. Cost more than half what I'm asking for the car now.

Treb
Treb Reader
6/15/11 7:55 p.m.

Sold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gf4DhlqaghSpeGsmjXH3OvSSkkYXUjowbvpk2HDc2T2v8Z8WBNWHzOpNhUwlCC6x