HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/20/12 10:53 p.m.

Thats right folks, a running and driving car for just $500! Its just outside Philly so its perfect for a last minute fly & drive for a BABE rally team looking to add a car or chickening out on the craptastic one that have now.

Its a black on black '94.SAAB 9000 with 250k miles. Non turbo engine with 5 spd manual gearbox. The gear box is good and the clutch is about 2 years old. The fuel pump was also replaced about 2 years ago with a new oem part. The AC works. The body is great looking from 25 feet. Its been our daily driver for about 5 years, its been dependable and hasn't cost us a lit if money to keep it going. But......now its pretty used up and we have a better car now so this one needs to get off my car ins policy!

There is rust in both rear wheel wells in the inner sections. It consumes a lot of oil, it doesn't smoke at all, and the slow but steady leak at the front crank seal doesn't seem to explain where it all goes, but its going somewhere . The interior is dirty and beat up. It eats tail light bulbs. The reverse light switch in the gearbox works only when it feels like it (reverse gear is fine). Its slow and has remarkably bad fuel milage for a 4cyl.

The single biggest problem with this car is that the drivers side upper shock mount is completely broken. Its fixable, but I don't feel like doing it myself. If someone really wanted to make a great repair I could obtain a doner shock mount & pass it along with the car at whatever its costs to me. Or you could go crazy with angle iron and scrap sheet metal and probably make something stronger than the original if your good at that sort of thing.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/20/12 11:08 p.m.

But wait! There's more!

I will also throw in a used, but working DI ignition cassette as a spare, along with my Haynes repair manual and any other spare 9000 parts I have laying around.

And, if someone buys it for BABE rally, I will change the oil and install a fresh set of spark plugs!

And for the modest price of $80 you can also buy not 1, but 2 extra sets of 15" alloy; rims with worn out snow tires and a very old but serviceable set of kumho exectas in size 205/50/15!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/20/12 11:15 p.m.

I will add pics as soon as I figure out how to hot link them from my photobucket account. Link to photobucket account, more pics to come soon

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
5/21/12 8:45 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I will add pics as soon as I figure out how to hot link them from my photobucket account. Link to photobucket account, more pics to come soon

Re-hosted the ones you sent me on my site as the were larger than the photobucket ones.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/21/12 8:52 a.m.

Thanks JThw8!

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/21/12 10:08 a.m.

Man that's a great looking car for $500.

SVreX
SVreX UltimaDork
5/21/12 12:50 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Its slow and has remarkably bad fuel milage for a 4cyl.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/22/12 6:26 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
HappyAndy wrote: Its slow and has remarkably bad fuel milage for a 4cyl.

I'm just being honest. I forgot to mention that it needs new P-brake cables too.

midknight
midknight Reader
5/23/12 8:44 a.m.

Like, how remarkably bad?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/23/12 8:53 a.m.

Was it born from Jets?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/23/12 10:41 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Was it born from Jets?

The thirst for fuel was.

15 to 16 mpg around town and maybe 24 mpg on the highway. Ironically the turbo version has about 75 more HP, and gets better mileage.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
5/23/12 11:47 a.m.

A reference book I have lists the EPA mileages as nearly the same for the turbo and non-turbo engine (about 17/18 city and 22/23 highway). Apparently, these were pretty dismal choices for folks looking to move from a "gas guzzling" luxury car....to something that was small and economical. The equivalent BWM during these years got much better MPGs....but it couldn't dream of producing the horsepower numbers that the Saabs did. Non turbo was rated at 150 horsepower and the turbo at 220-230 horsepower, about what V8 Mustangs produced at this time.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/23/12 1:06 p.m.

In reply to integraguy:

I can tell you from personal experience that a 9000 turbo with an an auto trans can flirt with 30mpg highway if using real gasoline (not E10)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
5/26/12 11:49 a.m.

Sold

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
okBeEbmQOliDfn6mUpa0s1lt4XMp7kv0j0bqpQT9ID8945MMQG7xua9XW9UhjRh2