Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/11 2:43 p.m.

Not mine...

http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2703108990.html

1971 Porsche 914 with a 4.3 chevy motor Renegade kit. Car has flared steel fenders, suspention, 5 lug wheels, extra targa top and doors needs some bodywork, floorpan,windshild, and battery. I have no time to mess with the car, and I need the garage space. If I get no offers the car will be going to a barn upstate for the winter. I want it gone!! Open to trades for motorcycles no Harleys Only sportbikes, duel sport,or a bike that can be made onto a cafe racer. I will add $$ for the right bike. NO JUNK!!! $2000 OBO Call or Txt 516 993 4947 David PLEASE DON"T WASTE MY TIME!!!

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
11/15/11 3:10 p.m.

And that, folks, is your Craigslist $2012 challenge contender of the week. Right on.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/15/11 3:16 p.m.

and if a 4.3 fits, so will a small block. and turbos in the trunk.

deveous9
deveous9 Reader
11/15/11 3:29 p.m.

This would be a smashing deal if it had the gmc typhoon 4.3 turbo engine!!! But still even the regular 4.3 is cool in that Porsche!!

corytate
corytate HalfDork
11/15/11 5:35 p.m.

supercool!
offer 1500 and use the change to boost it and finish it for the challenge!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/15/11 6:00 p.m.

BEWARE of Renegade Hybrids. Seriously folks. If I bought that car I'd remove the RH crap, copy the design and make my own.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/16/11 9:16 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: BEWARE of Renegade Hybrids. Seriously folks. If I bought that car I'd remove the RH crap, copy the design and make my own.

Really? I'm only a novice when it comes to Porsche conversions, but I thought they were one of the better ones out there. What's the issue with Renegade?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/16/11 9:34 a.m.

I drove a Renegade Hybrid 928 when I was out for SEMA and it was fantastic. I also got a ride in their V8 powered Porsche 914 and it was mighty impressive. An LS powered one is high on my list.

I'm not sure of any past issues with them, but they did have an ownership change a few years ago. The guys there now certainly are hard-core car guys and seem extremely knowledgeable. As hard as it may seem, the 914 with the V8 drove as if the V8 belonged there!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/16/11 10:57 a.m.
psteav wrote:
DrBoost wrote: BEWARE of Renegade Hybrids. Seriously folks. If I bought that car I'd remove the RH crap, copy the design and make my own.
Really? I'm only a novice when it comes to Porsche conversions, but I thought they were one of the better ones out there. What's the issue with Renegade?

Do some searching. You'll find out there are hordes of guys out there with failed welds, cracked headers, stuff that doesn't fit, and worst or all, a company that doesn't correct issues. They also went out of their way to buy up the forums that were dedicated to the LSX conversions so they could sensor the folks that were complaining about broken kits. Then, when the forum folks figures ways around it (like we use E36M3 and Berkley) they just shut the forum(s) down totally.
There are other players out there, but the gestapo has done a pretty good job and looking like they are the only game in town.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/16/11 11:12 a.m.

Why wouldn't someone who has a 914 with a Chevy 4.3L installed show a pic of a 914 with a 4.3L Chevy installed in it. That just looks like a E36 M3ty 914 with a bent front clip.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/16/11 11:37 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: That just looks like a E36 M3ty 914 with a bent front clip.

What makes it look bent?

I'm not familiar with Renegade, do they supply a kickass transaxle and the V-6 faces forward? Is it some other X-Axle that faces the engine backward?

No garage space, no engine, no money; just curious.

Dan

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/16/11 12:58 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: That just looks like a E36 M3ty 914 with a bent front clip.
What makes it look bent? I'm not familiar with Renegade, do they supply a kickass transaxle and the V-6 faces forward? Is it some other X-Axle that faces the engine backward? No garage space, no engine, no money; just curious. Dan

They supply an adapter plate from the 901 to a chevy 4.3 as well as the plumbing and radiators for water cooled conversion.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/16/11 1:03 p.m.
914Driver wrote: What makes it look bent?

From the pic it looks like the trunk deck is buckled and the fenders / decklid are in primer like there is some ongoing repair.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/16/11 1:55 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
914Driver wrote: What makes it look bent?
From the pic it looks like the trunk deck is buckled and the fenders / decklid are in primer like there is some ongoing repair.

Could be. From the angle it's hard to tell if the front lid is slightly open and hanging on the second release.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xSpmYGazB3mLXWA7TaH3Nfm8fUbwAdm35XPVSgqw3uwAK8Q8VbiDjUNf142urdLY