1 2
procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/13/12 9:53 a.m.

Not my car but I hate to see these things crushed. Someone pick this thing up:

http://www.saabrally.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2623

Seller said: Located in Toledo, OH just south of Detroit. This was an SCCA ITB car (though I can tell you it wasn't to the rules with all of the 900 stuff) since 1991. Dent free and the only rust holes are from where mud flaps were and where the little rubber pieces are on in front of the rear wheel wells. They were patched with tin, which I have removed. I have all nuts/bolts in labeled boxes. The car has run fine since resurrected in 2007. We've put 7 hours of track time on it, until the slave cylinder quit and my friend lunched the transmission. I put a 5sp in, but it needs syncros. I could shift slowly and it was fine. All of the gears looked good. The gas tank has been replaced by a fuel cell and external electric fuel pump. The water pump has been replaced by a full electric pump. In December 2011, I took it all apart up to the rear suspension with plans to patch the holes, paint it and make an interesting cheap driver out of it. I have a 900 sunroof panel, which is plenty of metal to do the patches. I'm looking for someone who wants to take all of my SAAB stuff in one shot. Maybe one of you PA guys would want to make the trip with a trailer. If not, I'll crush the shell and part it out over time. Here are the main points: Body: -I cut out the cage. I wasn't good anyway. My elbow literally went between the door bar and the door! -All of the body panels are good. -Straight and very rust free. No rust around any tailight/turn signal holes or fender lips. Doors only have a couple of spots around the lower trim holes (I still had to drill out the rivets). -Door and rear window glass good, but the windshield has a passenger side vertical crack. -Not really any good door/window seals on the car. Steering/Suspension: -Manual steering rack is good, with a good bushing in it and new tie rod ends. The front end was tight. -Pre '87 900 wheels fit, so It has 900 hubs or something on the rear. Not sure if the whole axle was fitted. -Has some short Bilstein shocks and stiff springs of unknown origin. No need for a spring compressor! Brakes: -Metric to SAE connections for all brake lines, brake master and booster are good. -'87 900 turbo vented front brakes (I just unbolted the upper/lower ball joints from the '87 turbo parts car and bolted it on, axles and all) -I welded in a 900 parking brake mechanism and have all of the cables and handle that all work. Drivetrain: -Original 2.0 engine with jetronic FI. We never had an issue with it starting or running. -Transmission and Axle setup is from a 1987 900 turbo. No issues with binding in tight circles and no vibrations at speed. Probably needs a rebuild, but I was just going to do sycros and call it a day. -I used the 4sp chain cover and used JB weld around a screw to make the 1/2 moon. No leaks. -It has an AP clutch kit with very little wear. The disc looks almost new. -Original radiator is good. I had it checked out and tested. -Most of the shifter was from the 900. I also have the 4sp shifter. Other stuff: -Steering column has a quick release welded on. I have the column and steering wheel out of the turbo that I was going to cut and paste on it. -I took the wiring harness out of the car. All connections have their switches attached or a diagram of where things plug in. I was going to replace with an aftermarket harness and build a new one for the engine. Could just be reused. -Driver side has a boxed tubing seat frame attachment. Passenger side is stock. -I stripped the driver door of everything and saved all seals to match to generics. -Some of the stock gauges worked, but no speedo cable so don't know about that. I know the tach and temp gauge worked. -BEST PART! All door, trunk and glove box locks work great and I have an original SAAB key and several copies. I added all good linkages for the door handles from a 900, so the doors work great. -All lights and remaining trim are in ok/usable condition. -I swapped in 900 inner door handles, but still have the 99 bars/handles -There is no interior, but I have all of the dash pieces. -I have a couple of boxes of spare parts I stripped off of a 900 parts car, suspension arms, wiring harnesses with turn signal and wiper stalks, steering column and turbo steering wheel, 4 good alloys, 4 good steels, good door panels and more I can't remember. -I have the front brakes/hubs/axles from the 4sp trans. -$$$ I have all but one panel (one of the fronts behind the front wheel), the wheel arches and most of the attachment hardware from a white Carlsson body kit (no bumpers) Anyway, I want it all gone. It's really too good to just scrap, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to use it. I know I can get some money slowly parting it out, but I'm going for the whole chunk first. I can put it back together for trailering, but it would need a new slave cylinder to be drivable. I'm thinking about $500 for it all. Any feedback is appreciated and I can take pics of most items. Feel free to call me to discuss. I'll get some pics loaded soon. Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bBMQYELRpA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdC3nkR_hX8 419 two one 5 11 five six Thanks, David

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
6/13/12 10:22 a.m.

AWESOME!!! All it needs is my Soviet Cop paint job and I'll be set!!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/13/12 10:33 a.m.

Why is that so far away!?!?!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/13/12 12:48 p.m.

Why is it so close!?!?!?!

EvanB
6/13/12 1:32 p.m.

I'm talking to the seller, he may be able to deliver...

Looks like I may have a Saab 99 soon.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/12 1:32 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I'm talking to the seller, he may be able to deliver... Looks like I may have a Saab 99 soon.

DO IT!!!

Powar
Powar Dork
6/13/12 1:37 p.m.

Please make it happen, EvanB. Remove the temptation from me.

EvanB
6/13/12 1:39 p.m.

I'll just bring it closer to you for when I decide to sell it

Powar
Powar Dork
6/13/12 1:49 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I'll just bring it closer to you for when I decide to sell it

toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
6/13/12 4:42 p.m.

I have a 99 windshield and some 99 turbo goodies that could be had for cheap if someone picks this up. If I had a place to put this I would have my third 99.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/13/12 5:28 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I'll just bring it closer to you for when I decide to sell it

Well at least it still isn't close to me!

procainestart
procainestart Dork
6/13/12 7:39 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I'm talking to the seller, he may be able to deliver... Looks like I may have a Saab 99 soon.

Hope you end up with it.

Powar
Powar Dork
6/14/12 10:52 a.m.
toad9977 wrote: I have a 99 windshield and some 99 turbo goodies that could be had for cheap if someone picks this up. If I had a place to put this I would have my third 99.

Details?

I have one and a friend is working on two at the moment.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
6/14/12 11:22 a.m.

So how are the talks going? If they fall through it could be very bad for my back, as in back ache due to sleeping on the couch for the next month. Inquiring minds need to know, my wife is trembling at the throught.

EvanB
6/14/12 11:37 a.m.

Going well, I am hopefully going to be able to meet up with him tomorrow to take a look at it. I can't see any reason why I won't buy it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
6/14/12 11:41 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Going well, I am hopefully going to be able to meet up with him tomorrow to take a look at it. I can't see any reason why I won't buy it.

Excellent, I hope you get it. $2013 entry?

EvanB
6/14/12 11:46 a.m.

Not likely, it's always possible though. I'll probably just get it road-worthy and see where it goes from there.

EvanB
6/15/12 6:43 p.m.

i checked it out...it's definitely a project.

It will be delivered next weekend.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
6/16/12 10:23 a.m.

Congratulations! I want a 99 in the worst way. My fear is that by the time I have a good place to work, all the cheap & salvageable 99s will be gone.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
6/16/12 2:21 p.m.

Nice, I drive to central PA for a project and this was in my backyard?

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
6/16/12 3:17 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: Nice, I drive to central PA for a project and this was in my backyard?

Didn't even notice this car was in Toodleydoo, or I may have been tempted to snag it.

Glad to see it go to a good home, tho. Enjoy the car, Evan!!!

Powar
Powar Dork
6/18/12 8:52 a.m.

Awesome. Congrats. Be sure to start a thread here...

EvanB
6/18/12 12:25 p.m.

As soon as you start a thread about your 96 and 99...

Powar
Powar Dork
6/18/12 12:39 p.m.
EvanB wrote: As soon as you start a thread about your 96 and 99...

If I start doing something with them, I will.

The 99 needs engine block crack repair and the 96 DeLuxe needs a dizzy. After I sell the '70 96 and the Caddy, I should be ready to start tinkering again.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/21/12 12:53 p.m.

Hmm... some things to do that may increase the value if/when you decide to sell:

The OP description about the cage is a bit confusing. Is it there or not?

Did the car come with a log book?

See if you can get it SCCA tech'd, if not for GCR, maybe for TT.

If it's legal for TT (Hillclimb), I could be interested.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ROYp9OJHipCv2B2Ewy2a3ZBOt4Ka3VjNv9V5XZetjNzdM0qkA6THN1X6l52As5AE