alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/23/17 2:39 p.m.

I wonder why there are no pictures... https://annarbor.craigslist.org/pts/6142780476.html

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
5/23/17 7:30 p.m.

I went to see that last night. The stump of the tree that fell on it was 6 ft. x 4 ft.. It's a 40,000 mile car that has been driven as a commuter every winter since new, and looks it. The drive train is fine, but all the front sheet metal is bent and the windshield structure is pushed down on the steering wheel. I offered $500 to use it as a donor for my Challenge build.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/23/17 7:34 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

I have a tough time picturing a 40k mile commuter being bad. Mine is 205k, and sounds like it's in better condition. But just 15 winters.

Too bad on the stump, though.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
5/23/17 7:38 p.m.

This one had the typical rear fender rust, rocker rust, and I didn't bother checking the front frame legs. Even the polished aluminum wheels show corrosion. It's a parts car. Interior has the usual wear on the leather seats, owner is a smoker, so it smells. Aside from a low mileage engine and trans it doesn't have much going for it.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
5/26/17 10:20 a.m.

Took a lookie at the Miata yesterday.....wow, that car is berkeleyed! The only salvageable body panels are the trunk lid and rear bumper.

Worked out a deal with the owner and I'll be picking up the car tonight

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
5/27/17 6:00 p.m.

In reply to Doc Brown:
..and your plan is.......???

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
5/29/17 1:42 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

I'm going to harvest the engine and the 3.90 Torsen for my project Miata. The leather interior will also be saved.

The rest of the car will sold off in parts and hopefully I'll break even or make a bit of profit.

The Miata being hauled off to Doc Brown's headquarters....

After a bit of wrenching the car was somewhat drivable again.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
6/13/17 1:10 p.m.

I may need a steering rack. Is the one in this beast usable and for sale?

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
6/18/17 9:23 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

The rack appears to be in decent shape. The hydraulic lines have a fair bit of rust though. The rack is free if you stop by and pull it. The engine and trans are already out so it should be fairly easy.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
6/18/17 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Doc Brown:
I may just have a leaking line, so I may or may not need it. I'll contact you if I need it. Should be this week. Thanks

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
6/19/17 11:42 a.m.

Ok, sounds good

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WEfH6zzaXMBb08mVnIQv1zktw7udFXAPuLjvXZ9Vzm4pkyz0AZTiCwVmz28ZlfDB