1 2
Durty
Durty New Reader
12/6/16 1:47 p.m.

all but sold, buyer paid large deposit

This is my 1996 328is 5 spd manual. Clean title. It is a great starting point for anyone willing to answer the call to restore her to e36 glory.

I bought it 4 years ago with a blown head. The car has a new head and all new gaskets on it, but has sat outside my house for 2 years occasionally getting turned over and driven around the neighborhood.

The car has been a project that hasn't gotten much love and I need to get rid of it for family reasons.

The transmission shifts very well.

The car has a M3 exhaust put on by the PO, M3 front fascia, staggered M contours, ZHP shift knob. The contours aren't in the best shape. The tires are Primewell PZ-900 (budget sport Firestone brand) and have ~ 7k miles on them.

The shocks are original and are completely shot. The front bounces a lot going over bumps.

The clearcoat on the black paint is peeling especially on the roof. The chrome trim around the rear window is rusting, but I haven't found any actual body rust. There is a small dent on the passenger door.

There are a few broken interior panels namely the sunroof switch square and the drivers C pillar cover. I have all the pieces, but they aren't currently able to be snapped in place. The radio was replaced by the PO and works.

The odometer says 59k which I was informed by the PO is not accurate. I'm not sure the full story on that whether there was a full engine swap in the history of the car or if it simply broke.

There is a full size spare.

Brand new Duracell battery. The PO wired some aftermarket HIDs into the washer fluid reservior which caused a small but constant drain on the battery. That wire was cut to stop the drain. This means the battery will now last, but the circle around the lights doesn't light up.

The trunk is drilled and wired for a wing. I have the wing, but one of the screws stripped out. I haven't re-drilled the mounting points or reattached it. After sitting in my garage for 2 years one of the leading corners broke off, which I also have.

The drivers side fog light in the bumper does not want to stay in place and it falls out. I can't see a broken clip on it, but the passenger side one stays in really well and I can't make that one clip into place.

The door cards have been re-glued as they de-laminated like all e36 cards do. Both windows go up and down without issue. The knee bumper/glovebox cover fell off and I haven't re-glued that one.

The car starts, but hesitates to do so. With the new battery the starter is strong enough to get it turned over after ~ 10 seconds.

Startup video https://youtu.be/cNOmBSoJdnE

Running video https://youtu.be/vb1kXrs8o9s

The intake boot was replaced after it had a crack in it with a non-ASC (stability control) boot. It is permanently disabled as the second throttle body was removed and as such the ASC light is always on.

There you have it. My automotive shame. I think it's a beautiful car. Would make a great car for someone who can put in the time and gain the knowledge required.

I'm asking $1350. I'm located in Greenville, NC and cannot deliver the car. I'll be happy to chat with any fellow GRM dorks and will help you however I can.

Pictures all in the link below. http://imgur.com/a/9ndAh

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
12/6/16 2:29 p.m.

This. This is all I want in life. Yet, NC is too far away.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/6/16 3:20 p.m.

ohhh.. sooo far

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
12/6/16 3:58 p.m.

Thanks for the honesty. That should find some love here. It needs more than I can handle. NOw, if the engine wasn't grumpy.....

Durty
Durty New Reader
12/6/16 4:50 p.m.

In reply to markwemple:

I may find a way or some time to help the engine. I'd rather pass it along to someone who needs a good deal since I clearly have trouble making time.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/16 7:54 p.m.

Ah, crap, you're 90 minutes away.

Apropos of nothing, is the LSD still grippy or have the clutches gone bad?

Durty
Durty New Reader
12/6/16 8:52 p.m.

Not sure Brett, sorry.

I'm an optimist so I'll guess that the LSD is so grippy you'll get flashbacks in a decade.

Edit: I'm also not sure that it has an LSD

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/7/16 8:32 a.m.

Unless I'm missing something, that car shouldn't have an LSD. 325is got an LSD, 328is did not.

In any case, that looks almost exactly like my old 328is and I loved that car. If it were OBDI I'd be seriously thinking about sticking my LS in there.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/7/16 8:51 a.m.
Furious_E wrote: If it were OBDI I'd be seriously thinking about sticking my LS in there.

That just sounds dirty.

Brett_Murphy
12/7/16 1:53 p.m.

Ah, I thought all E36 "is" models got the LSD. Thanks.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/7/16 3:18 p.m.

damn, I have a week off work between Christmas and New Years, I have cash, and I have a vehicle with a hitch.

I also have four plane tickets to take my family to Florida that week, which is going to get me way more points with the wife than another E36 would.

Durty
Durty New Reader
12/7/16 7:29 p.m.

Eschew family responsibility!

Stampie
12/7/16 8:25 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Send family to FL. The day before you leave MI to pick up BMW in NC. You make FL in time to pick them up at the airport. Bonus no car rental needed in FL. Day before family leaves FL you leave with BMW in tow to MI. Pick family up at airport. In 20 years smile as family repeats the crazy story about Dad and the BMW.

AngryCorvair
12/8/16 6:43 a.m.

In reply to Stampie:

No.

AngryCorvair
12/8/16 6:44 a.m.

Stampie
12/8/16 8:51 a.m.

Ok, I tried.

Durty
Durty New Reader
12/9/16 3:21 p.m.

I uploaded a few videos. I may have been a bit harsh in the initial description.

Startup https://youtu.be/cNOmBSoJdnE

Running https://youtu.be/vb1kXrs8o9s

AngryCorvair
12/9/16 5:40 p.m.

Does the AC work? Can you add some interior shots to the album?

Durty
Durty New Reader
12/9/16 6:08 p.m.

Hopefully I can get home early enough tomorrow that the sun is still out. What're you interested in seeing more of?

I have a new AC belt from the head gasket job that hasn't been put on but I honestly don't remember if the AC actually works.

AngryCorvair
12/9/16 8:51 p.m.

In reply to Durty:

Sorry, I must have been thinking of another car, I just went back to your album and saw all the interior pix. Like Forrest Gump, I'm not always a smart man.

Durty
Durty New Reader
2/2/17 7:39 p.m.

Bump. Somebody buy this thing.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/17 8:05 p.m.

Man, this looks like a steal. I'm surprised it's still available.

Brett_Murphy
2/2/17 9:26 p.m.

It is a steal.

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/17 9:44 p.m.

PM Sent

Very interested.

AngryCorvair
2/15/17 8:45 p.m.