cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
1/1/17 9:50 p.m.

Reposted with a new lower price for the new year. I'm located outside Boston.

One too many Miatas in my driveway means it's time for a new home for this one.

1990 (1.6 with the dreaded SNC, oh no!) with 204k on it. Runs just fine, this was my autocross car until getting the yellow one peeking into the picture.

DRIVETRAIN

Stock 1.6 and 5 speed manual, recent maintenance includes plugs and wires, valve cover gasket, CAS o-ring, and clutch hydraulics. Stock rubber clutch hose was replaced with a stainless line from 949. Open diff. Runs and drives great, I recently started it up after sitting for a few months and it had a hunting idle until it got warm. I had this issue before and replaced the throttle body and ISC with a used unit, which seemed to solve it, but who knows. I still have the original that you can try. The exhaust is an aftermarket muffler with stock-ish? piping. It came on the yellow car and actually sounds decent.

SUSPENSION

Currently on stock shocks and springs, and they are TIRED. Top hats are showing signs that they need to be replaced - I have another used set that I may throw on there, but that would require some effort, so.......

Poly bushings have been installed on all suspension arms, and all of the alignment bolts were replaced. This work was done about 5k miles ago. I would recommend installing grease zerks, I didn't when I put the bushings in and they're sticky. I put zerks in my yellow car and lubricating the bushings is now a lot easier.

Brakes are slotted/drilled rotors (LOL) with stock-ish pads, but they stop well. All of the brake lines were replaced with stainless, again from 949, and the fluid (RBF 600) is new and clear.

Wheels are 14s from a later car with all-season rubber, they still have some tread but are fairly old. I'd replace them if I were keeping the car.

BODY

Obviously has been repainted, as this is not a stock 1990 color. Clear is peeling badly. There is one rust spot in the front fender on the passenger side. The rear rockers look like they've been repaired at some point, probably when the repaint was done. Some paint is peeling on the front and rear bumpers showing the original blue. The top has a cracked rear window but is otherwise in decent condition. Overall, though the paint is ugly, the car is solid and has no major issues.

INTERIOR

Black leather seats in decent shape. Carpet is a little tired but not too bad. Steering wheel has a few scuffs in the leather. THE AIRBAG IS NOT CONNECTED. I had an aftermarket wheel in the car and cut the connector for the airbag. I still have the pigtail if you'd like to reconnect it but I'm not messing with that. The gauge hood has broken tabs so it flops around a little. Power windows, which are a little slow but still work nicely.

There's a stock RX-8 shift knob in there now, though the car is a 5 speed. It has a nice shape and weight. I can swap you for a Miata knob if you want. Also, there's no carpet in the trunk, thanks to a leaking oil container. Oops.

More pics can be found here Miata Album

I have a few things I can throw in with the car - like a new top and rain rail - for the right price. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. Questions, just let me know.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/4/17 10:56 a.m.

Who needs a Miata?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/5/17 11:30 a.m.

I found a cheap hardtop today. I resisted buying it, but it wasn't easy with this still in my driveway.

Please help.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/8/17 11:10 a.m.

I keep ignoring the emails that just say "give you $1000 for it" but maybe that's closer to market value in January?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
1/8/17 11:20 a.m.

Yeah, winter time is not a good time to sell convertibles. Try again in the spring.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/8/17 11:32 a.m.

In reply to Sine_Qua_Non:

Yeah. Oh well. I just reregistered it so I can have some fun in the meantime.... wish I hadn't sold the snows I had for it.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
1/8/17 11:50 a.m.
cmcgregor wrote: In reply to Sine_Qua_Non: Yeah. Oh well. I just reregistered it so I can have some fun in the meantime.... wish I hadn't sold the snows I had for it.

But that makes it even more fun!

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
1/9/17 10:55 a.m.

I bought a cheaper one with more rust and after a total of $1500 I think yours is still a little better. And doesn't have the rust. It's certainly priced right, maybe even priced well, but nobody's buying them now. Especially up by you.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
1/9/17 3:53 p.m.

If it makes you feel better, the top offer on my running driving ugly Miata right now is $300.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/9/17 4:00 p.m.

In reply to thestig99:

That's a bummer.

The upside is I don't desperately need to sell it - it's just temptation for me to spend more money with it sitting around. The official wife-approved plan was to sell this one when I bought the yellow one a year ago now, but then I didn't get my E36 M3 together to get it sellable before it was too late for this year. I might just borrow the yellow hardtop and put it in winter mode for when my Focus is too boring (and I don't have to drive the baby around).

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/17 8:29 a.m.

I don't need another Answer, but I did try to send you a PM on my other thread where you mentioned you were interested in the VVT head if I didn't pick it up (this thread).

Are you still interested in that head? I think I'm good to go, and you're closer to it anyway. Someone else was looking for one, so if you don't want it I'll point it out to them.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/10/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane:

Sorry about that - just replied to you. I missed the email somehow.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/26/17 9:53 a.m.

High today is 51, so I drove it to work. Honestly, it kinda made me want to keep it....and yes, it does appear that you could park 2 Miatas in that parking space. Maybe I should try it.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/28/17 11:16 a.m.

Another weekend, another "I'll come on Friday after my car sells" followed by dropping off the face of the Earth.

Current highest CL sight unseen offer is $1300, so we're moving in the right direction!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/17 11:30 a.m.

I have serious want. And I did sell the svt focus so I kinda have room. And every spring/summer I tell myself that next winter I will buy a Miata. And I really want a 1.6 na. And I don't have immediate plans for racing it, just want a driver. And I keep seeing nice miatas slip away cheap and I keep worrying that each one was one of the last ones. Urgh.

I'm going to drink on it tonight. We very well may be in contact tomorrow.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/28/17 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

It's not going anywhere fast, clearly. Let me know if you want any more pictures or anything.

Robbie
1/30/17 7:29 p.m.

pm sent.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/5/17 10:32 a.m.

I did a bad thing. I bought parts for it.

Used Koni STR.T shocks with stock springs and fairly new mounts for $78 shipped. Better than the crappy stock stuff that's on there. Now, for super low budget bumpstops.....

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/14/17 11:09 a.m.

Plans are in motion. This is leaving my driveway in the near future, so I wanted to give it a quick shakedown

Also I just really wanted to post this pic somewhere.

Robbie
2/14/17 1:56 p.m.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
2/15/17 3:12 p.m.

So it's sold?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
2/16/17 6:36 a.m.

Sold!

Robbie
2/24/17 10:46 p.m.

Link to write up of 1000 mile trip home! Took me a week to write it up, but better late than never.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/your-trips-and-adventures/and-then-in-the-darkness-theres-this-green-trail/126819/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aXLQcHp1PtKIoydPUAUOVgWfqkqBlYF9c4ALnKqBtBsCjch9KfQmnzD6K7F2jl1F