GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
10/24/18 11:34 a.m.

https://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/d/1971-ford-maverick/6727622043.html

I'm not sure if it's really cool that their 16 year old was driving a straight-6 '71 Maverick to school, or really bad. No way it doesn't have 4-wheel drum brakes.

Still, could be a good 2019 contender. Blah blah 5.0 swap, and later (77?) Mavericks can net you disk brakes and are a bolt-on swap from what I have heard.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/24/18 1:17 p.m.

No 5.0 swap. No. What that banana needs is an hot modern 4 banger. Maybe a Zetec SVT or better yet something from the Duratec/MZR family. Get too crazy and you need a FoMoCo control pack for the Ecoboost...

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
10/25/18 9:52 a.m.

^^^ Fox body SVO 4-popper turbo/ 5-speed swap. Upgrade the suspension with all the Mustang goodies and brakes you can find.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/25/18 10:04 a.m.

Oh. My. Berkeleying. God. Those were such pieces of E36 M3. My dad (I know, I'm convicting myself of something here) bought one new as his daily in '70. It was the car I learned to drive in right before I got my first Morris Minor. Even with the entire "I'm driving a car on my own" vibe we all got when we first got the license, I knew this thing sucked. And it was fairly new with the fairly new drivetrain and suspension stuff.

I learned later the reason it was a POS was that the chassis was based on an early '60's Falcon. Yeah, so was the Mustang but at least the 'Stang had a fairly rigid chassis. The Mav' (that's what we called it) did not so you're gonna hafta do something about that if you want it to get through the Auto-X course without taking out half of the cones.

Good Luck. You're gonna need it...

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
10/25/18 1:19 p.m.

wow,  that was MEAN.  lol,     I have v8 /air and Vinyl top car.  no not for sale for challenge.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/25/18 1:35 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

I think you are missing sight of the possibilities:  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
10/25/18 10:06 p.m.

In reply to TheRX7Project :

Or for wierd times, turbo the stock 200ci.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
10/26/18 6:18 a.m.

SPA Turbo in Brazil makes the manifold .!

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/26/18 10:15 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah, I know. I've seen a number of really nice Mav's out there that have seen considerable expertise and expense leveled at them. Trouble is, every time I see one, The Mav always comes to mind. I don't know how many people here remember reading Henry Gregor Felsen's books for boys about hot rods; there was a character in there that talked about a car he called "Stupid Six". That was The Mav.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
10/26/18 1:52 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

I recently stumbled across an ad for an older Falcon that had a 200ci Inline 6, with some sort of home brew draw-through turbo, fed by a Weber DCOE. I was thoroughly intrigued.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/26/18 7:23 p.m.
rdcyclist said:I learned later the reason it was a POS was that the chassis was based on an early '60's Falcon. Yeah, so was the Mustang but at least the 'Stang had a fairly rigid chassis.

They really didn't.  They were complete noodles, and after 50-odd years, if you find one that doesn't have a bunch of negative camber because the chassis is all warped, what you have is a completely rebuilt chassis, or a Mustang II front end swap.

Which is great way to open up the engine bay, incidentally.  You actually get room for headers!

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/18 11:38 a.m.

My sister had a Comet, maybe '76. The big bumper ones. I was allowed to drive it quite a bit in high school. We called it the Doots. 2 door, 200 6cyl, auto, kind of light brown/gold with the same color interior. 

I was offered the car for free, and replied that I'd rather walk. Some of this was because I was staring lovingly at my brother's 67 Mustang, thinking girls actually gave a damn about what kind of car you drove. I was a Hootus, I admit. 

Funny thing is, now, I love them. Great little fastback body, basically a Mustang underneath, cheaper than most CAM type cars. 

Make mine a skinny bumper Comet, please.

Then again, I used to hate Pintos, but would love a skinny bumper one now.

Silly me.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
10/27/18 1:44 p.m.

I know,  I also want a Stabber

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y6oQoyWe3M0K1S24oq5OqZYHXt1LAwoAEsVcXboBHAOo17ogf9BD4m0w4HwSsLiN