1 2 3
russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/8/15 9:29 p.m.

Edit: SOLD!!

Hi all, Time has come to sell my Porsche 944 as I have no time for it... and it's parked at my parents and they want it gone lol.

The Good: 1983 Porsche 944 NA 5 speed, 121K miles. Car is set up for autocross: Front camber plates, Koni yellows all around, QA1 springs on threaded collars up front, Sway bars, Fidanza lightened flywheel, remote oil filter, cold air intake, BMW projector beams replace factory fog lights, custom rear bumper. Motor, clutch, gearbox and differential all rebuilt or replaced 3 years ago (per previous owner). Good summer street tires (Direzza DZ101). Power steering delete. Pretty Good body/very little rust. As shown in the pictures, there was rust in the rear passenger quarter panel. I tried to amend the situation the best I could, but I lived in an apartment complex without many tools... that led to cutting out the rust, POR-15ing the area, and then adding fiberglass and bondo to fix it. The only other spot with surface rust was the outside of the spare wheel well, which I POR-15'd and both have been fine since.

The Bad: 1) I am having a problem with the charging system; new battery, new alternator, new wires between the two, and cleaned ground spots around the car (which seems to have been done by previous owner too). Even with this, the alternator won't charge the battery. However, the car does fire right up when the battery is charged. 2) I had a very bad backfire which caused the engine to shut down. Started right up after I had a good battery connected (long story short, I was taking it to the mechanic for the charging problem, got halfway there on battery alone, and when the engine backfired and shut off, I didn't have enough juice to turn it over again). Before I attempted to turn over, I checked the timing belt and everything seemed intact and in place. It runs and sounds/sounded fine afterwards with a charged battery. 3)I spilled a biodegradeable oil on the carpet in the well behind the passenger seat. It is now moldy. Pic of mold in gallery is of said spot. I'm sure any challenge takers will be stripping carpet anyway.

Logistics: Car resides in Delaware, Ohio. Clean title. Car will need towed, but we can fire it up in the driveway and drive up and down it (long driveway lol)

Picture Album: http://imgur.com/a/3Y8kz

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/9/15 7:18 a.m.

I would be murdered. There would be so second thoughts, no momentary pause, just my complete and utter deletion from existence. But man, that looks like fun. All except for the charging part, but we could call it sparky!

GLWS! Looks like a great car!

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
9/9/15 11:51 a.m.

What he said ^^^^ SWMBO makes more anyway...

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
9/9/15 12:15 p.m.

So. Much. Want

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/10/15 9:07 a.m.

I love that color. GLWS

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/10/15 5:58 p.m.

Thanks! Funny thing: My roommate's GF calls the car "the brown blob" lol. She doesn't like cars though haha.

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/14/15 12:23 p.m.

Someone buy this, for crying out loud!

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/15/15 10:57 a.m.

In reply to Egghead Racer: Right?!?

I forgot to mention that the car comes with a matched rattle can paint can, including primer and clearcoat, that I bought when I did my "pristine" passenger rear quarter panel repair, and comes with the original headers, which you can see in the pictures.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/18/15 11:24 a.m.

Bump bump, bump it up!

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/18/15 12:53 p.m.

Por-Sha! Por-Sha! Por-Sha!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
9/19/15 3:48 p.m.

This so needs a bump!

How is this not sold yet?

logdog
logdog SuperDork
9/19/15 5:07 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: This so needs a bump! How is this not sold yet?

Around here its because of 1 of 2 reasons.*

1. "Too far away"

2. "No money"

*results based on unscientific research obtained from reading the forum classifieds over the last few years.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/19/15 6:22 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

Haha, it always is one of those reasons! I've been following this forum for a few years; I love it and even though I don't post much, I trust you guys to see the car on my property. If it takes a little longer than craigslist, that's fine; I don't feel comfortable with random craigslisters out on my property lol. Maybe that's worded funny, but I'm sure you guys understand what I mean!

Slippery
Slippery Dork
9/19/15 7:34 p.m.

I love the color. This is a great deal.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
9/20/15 6:54 p.m.

For me it's no monies and no storage space.

Heck I even have a friend in Columbus that would help load it if we paid him cold Budweiser and let him heckle us while we do it!

logdog wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: This so needs a bump! How is this not sold yet?

Around here its because of 1 of 2 reasons.*

1. "Too far away"

2. "No money"

*results based on unscientific research obtained from reading the forum classifieds over the last few years.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/25/15 12:59 p.m.

Price drop: $1900!

Egghead Racer
Egghead Racer Reader
9/25/15 1:52 p.m.

I hate you so much right now...

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/25/15 5:16 p.m.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
9/26/15 8:05 a.m.

I need an interior donor for my car, but I'm not in the position to buy right now. Dang. Heck, I've driven that car for a trans for my 944.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/27/15 4:45 p.m.

$1600 this week only, if moved by friday! If not sold to a GRM'er it will be going on craigslist at a much higher price lol.

RedGT
RedGT New Reader
9/29/15 7:53 p.m.

So at this point does the alternator provide juice to the engine at all (so disconnecting the battery it still runs) or is the engine running solely on battery? It sounds like the alternator isn't doing anything but I figured I'd clarify.

RedGT
RedGT New Reader
9/29/15 8:02 p.m.

...what is with the 80s and pressurized plastic expansion tanks? Jesus.

markwemple
markwemple Dork
9/29/15 8:05 p.m.
RedGT wrote: So at this point does the alternator provide juice to the engine at all (so disconnecting the battery it still runs) or is the engine running solely on battery? It sounds like the alternator isn't doing anything but I figured I'd clarify.

Not a good test. It'll need the battery either way. It can't run on just the alternator. Guess how I know.

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
9/29/15 8:45 p.m.
markwemple wrote:
RedGT wrote: So at this point does the alternator provide juice to the engine at all (so disconnecting the battery it still runs) or is the engine running solely on battery? It sounds like the alternator isn't doing anything but I figured I'd clarify.

Not a good test. It'll need the battery either way. It can't run on just the alternator. Guess how I know.

Just put a voltmeter on the battery, remember number, start car, and check again. if the voltmeter is the same or lower, it is running on only the battery.

russ_mill
russ_mill New Reader
9/29/15 9:00 p.m.

In regards to the charging issue: I am not home right now but I can run that test tomorrow and report back. Pretty sure it's just running on battery at the moment though. I've gone through these tests but admittedly it was awhile back and I've forgotten the results.

1 2 3
VtfCqh81QnHkPq8u2KpyDPlbvyv3Nu7u