Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/14 5:37 p.m.

Not mine, etc...

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/4803599407.html

i have a volkswagon gti, its a 1.8 8 valve 5 speed, 106,000miles it is stock besides coil overs. the car is currently not running good, runs very rough, the cis injection system on these cars always funny, needs a battery, either can be replaced or switched to have carbs or swap a vr6 into it, has very little rust,has one broken head light, all the lights do work front and back, clean interior, the car will speak for itself, come take a look at it, it does have a ct tittle, open to all reasonable offers or possible trades

james 203 889 8527 call/text

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/15/14 7:58 a.m.

Vacuum leak probably.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
12/19/14 11:38 a.m.

In your opinion, just reading the description and looking at the pics what is this worth?

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/19/14 1:14 p.m.

Here, that'd be listed for $2000, so I think $1k is a reasonable starting point, depending on how it looks in person (I see some rust, not sure what's up with the passenger headlight, etc) and the coilovers are a crap shoot. The snowflake wheels are easily $100 each. Stock Recaros (that's what they look like to me anyway) can fetch up to $500 for the pair. It does run, so likely a torn boot and/or leaking hose (less than $100 fix). If it were local I'd have already checked it out.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
12/19/14 1:51 p.m.
chrispy wrote: Stock Recaros (that's what they look like to me anyway) can fetch up to $500 for the pair.

Those aren't Recaros. Not worth anywhere near $500 for the pair.

Also fwiw I just moved a set of super clean snowflakes this past year, and had a very hard time getting $250 for them. Not much demand for 14".

All that said, that car is priced well for the overall package.

A fairly clean mk2 with a 16V is hard to find, and if it does run but needs some TLC, it'd be worth the effort.

If I didn't already have one in my garage, and it was local, I'd check it out as well.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
12/19/14 2:02 p.m.

The ad says that this is an 8v, not the 16. Does that affect the price much these days?

I need to just get off my butt, get my own on the road and stop looking at everyone else's.

@chrispy and xflowgolf -- do either of you have 1.8 heads that you want to move cheap? Thats gonna be the fastest, cheapest way to get mine on the road, I think.

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/22/14 11:08 a.m.

Well, damn.... "Sport" seats, not Recaros, but interior still looks nice. Bummer on the wheels, I guess lack of 14" tire selection kills their value.

I don't have any VW parts. Given the same condition of the car, a 16V will command a premium over an 8V, since most 8Vs are bought as swap candidates - usually for 16Vs or ABAs.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
12/23/14 4:31 p.m.

There's currently a lot of interest (and a handful of projects already begun) among the Connecticut air cooled VW crowd in mounting those bodies on air cooled VW pans and running radical air cooled VW engine or Rotary out back.

They're using a build on SpeedHunters as the Bible.

A trend in the making and a cool one at that.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/11/a-bridgeported-party-in-the-rear/

maj75
maj75 Reader
12/24/14 7:40 a.m.

If this was local, it would be in my driveway, right now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AxR2MB7Hr8J7JFoslfsThXc02c8WHu1TddQCujuxhL5cWMB4AJVTLXHwWUpUhnjq