GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 7:22 a.m.

Purchased some years ago for unfinished Challenge project. Car is in 3 shades of primer, has leaky cooling system, all tires currently flat.

The good:

• if you connect a battery (not included) with new terminals (I stole the replacement ones from this car), it runs, but heat climbs rapidly.
  • It includes a rear seat from a different RX7 (blue, not gray)

The bad:

• Some damage / bondo (this was going to donate the drivetrain, not the body)
  • Interior plastic barely remains

Pictures to follow later today.

Planning to get rid of this car within about a week to scrap if nobody wants it or parts.

Located north of Waynesboro, PA. Post here or email greg at gregorywsmith.com for additional questions.

Don49
Don49 Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 7:31 a.m.

Greg, I'm nearby and definitely interested. Email me your # @ don49ataol.co, and I'll call you.

beans HalfDork
Aug. 26, 2013 10:01 a.m.

If this is 4-lug and has an aluminum spare... I want the spare.

psteav Dork
Aug. 26, 2013 10:51 a.m.

If it's five lug, I'm interested in the differential, brakes and master cylinder.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 11:12 a.m.

Don - email sent.

Beans / Psteav - Car is a 4-lug and yes, it currently still has the spare.

beans HalfDork
Aug. 26, 2013 11:13 a.m.

In reply to GSmith:

Aluminum?!? Please say yes...

psteav Dork
Aug. 26, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Alas, won't have what I need. Thanks anyway.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 11:14 a.m.

I also have:

• a separate "rebuilt" rotary short block
  • a separate transmission (with shifter extension broken in transit)
GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 11:17 a.m.

beans: yes.

Small, finned, looks very cool. It's an old aluminum one, so is not pristine, but no curb rash, just aging finish. I always thought a pair of these would be neat on a drag car.

wvumtnbkr HalfDork
Aug. 26, 2013 11:17 a.m.

how much for the transmission(s)? I assume this is manual.

Thanks,

Rob R.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 11:19 a.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-RX7-RX-7-1986-2nd-GEN-SPARE-TIRE-/130939146594?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7c94d162&vxp=mtr

This design, definitely NOT this pretty. Auction is not mine, is just for photo purposes.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Manual, 5 speed.

Local pickup, or shipped? If shipped, do you want me to remove the (broken) shifter extension?

wvumtnbkr HalfDork
Aug. 26, 2013 11:36 a.m.

I would pick it up.

From the way you described the car and parts, I assume you have 2 of them (1 in the car).

Would you sell both?

Thanks!

Rob R.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 11:48 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Would prefer not to disassemble the one out of the car (but you could pick up the car and the additional transmission). Yes, there's one in it, and one in my garage.

Don49 has not gotten back to me yet, but for an offer over salvage value, the car is his. Otherwise, you're welcome to pick up both. I think I paid $50 for the transmission.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 3:10 p.m.

beans - wheel is set aside for you. Once I pulled it out of the spare tire well, it's surprisingly clean. Please contact me for

wvumtnbkr - 5 speed trans is set aside for you. Please contact me re: pick up or if $50 seems unreasonable.

As far as the rest - the local auto recycler will take the car for ~$350. I'd prefer this to go to someone who will actually use the parts, but looking to clear the driveway by this weekend.

I still have the 13B additional short block and intake as well. Same thing applies. Give this drivetrain a happy home!

wvumtnbkr HalfDork
Aug. 26, 2013 3:23 p.m.

DAMN! I kinda want the entire thing. however, i have one of these that needs to go to the scrap yard as it is. That, and I am going to Tennessee this weekend.

poop!

I do want the trans. I will figure a way to get it.

Thanks,

Rob R.

GSmith Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 3:41 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Keep me posted !!

moxnix Reader
Aug. 26, 2013 10:44 p.m.

If it has the stock 4 lug wheels and whoever ends up with it wants to sell them let me know.

Aug. 27, 2013 8:13 a.m.

what year is this additional short block?

GSmith Reader
Aug. 28, 2013 8:17 p.m.

It has the stock 4 lug 'phone dial' wheels.

How would I tell for the short block? All I know at this point is it's a 13B...

GSmith Reader
Aug. 31, 2013 8:32 p.m.

Based on reader interest - it looks like a number of people want parts, but we're still getting details worked out:

beans: Alloy spare wheel Mark Albers: Rebuilt short block (and possibly rear end) wvumtnbkr: Transmission (or possibly entire car) moxnix: Phone dial alloy wheels (?)

Guys - keep me posted. My wife's getting itchy and I need to find room for the BMW from Jersey, assuming that works out.

GSmith Reader
Sept. 3, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Moxnix has the wheels & the exhaust downpipe (removed from car). I have a set of old steel Spitfire wheels that I'm going to enlarge the holes and use to roll this around for about another week.

beans: Still holding the alloy spare in my garage.

Mark - engine is in the garage. with the car up in the air, I can have the rear end off pretty quickly.

wvumtnbkr: one transmission is in the garage awaiting you!

redhookfern Reader
Sept. 3, 2013 12:51 p.m.

It's true, someone needs to take this, or my e28 will only continue to disolve in a scary back lot in Paterson NJ.

GSmith Reader
Sept. 4, 2013 4:38 p.m.
redhookfern wrote: It's true, someone needs to take this, or my e28 will only continue to disolve in a scary back lot in Paterson NJ.

Not to worry - worst case, I pull the worthwhile bits (computer, back seat, etc) and recycle the rest. There's not much of value beyond that unless someone needs glass, etc.

redhook... I'll make the space for whatever overlap time. Looking forward to picking up Black Betty.

nocones SuperDork
Sept. 11, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Axle halfshafts? If you pull it down that far. My MG needs 1. They should ship fine ziptied to a 1x6.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

1 day ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

2 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

2 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

3 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

4 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

4 days ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

4 days ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

5 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

6 days ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

AMX-Cessive

1 week ago in Articles

If you’re going to host the search for the ultimate street car, perhaps you should drive one yourself.

Chris Albin’s Flying VW Golf: What Really Happened?

1 week ago in News

What really happened to send Chris Albin's VW Golf flying?

Drive Cars From the Lane Motor Museum Collection

1 week ago in News

Love older, maybe slightly weirder cars? This event is for you.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
MkabUMcKhqs4rpelukFLbRVRHqMxhPiZ