1 2
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/8/17 11:55 a.m.

GRM SPECIAL PRICE $2017...or what do you have to trade? Located in Milwaukee, WI.

More pics here

Selling my 1987 Toyota Pickup. 2WD 5-speed, 204k miles. 7-foot long bed. Runs and drives great. I got it in a trade and used it for remodeling projects for a few months, now I don't really need it so it's up for sale.

Truck was brought up from California, cab and frame are rock solid, bed has some minor rust but still solid. Very quick and fun to drive. Lots of modifications and recent work including:

At 198k:
New timing chain
New head gasket
New oil pump
New water pump
New rocker assembly
270 cam & upgraded valve springs

At 180k:
LCE de-smog
Offenhauser dual plane intake
Weber 32/36 carb
LCE plug wires and billet holder

Other parts:
Belltech drop spindles and blocks
Belltech shocks
Tubular exhaust header (unknown brand)
Morimoto Sealed6 headlights with Hella relay harness
Corbeau Sport seats
Cube short throw shifter
Softopper
Curt trailer hitch
3 sets of wheels and tires

Truck has a few minor problems, mostly cosmetic:
Paint is rolled-on Rustoleum Safety Red, looks good from 20 feet but really needs wet sanding and has some orange peel
Seats are beat up
Windshield trim is missing
Minor exhaust manifold gasket leak
Rides just like you would expect a lowered minitruck from the 80's to (quite harsh)

Overall though it is a good little truck and looks really cool, I just don't need a truck anymore and would rather spend the money on my other projects. You couldn't buy all of the parts on this truck for $2017!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/17 12:27 p.m.

Whoa. That is cool!!!  You never see those anymore here in the rust belt. 

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/8/17 1:54 p.m.

Beautiful truck! Too bad the efi is gone.

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
10/8/17 7:03 p.m.

Love it, especially the wheels on there. Good luck selling, I wish I could take it off your hands!

pointofdeparture
10/9/17 5:55 p.m.
markwemple said:

Beautiful truck! Too bad the efi is gone.

Having driven these with the EFI before, I'm actually pretty convinced this carb is better in every way aside from dead cold starting. It's tuned really well, very good fit for the truck.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/11/17 7:11 p.m.

If only there was an economical way to get it to the event in time...

that said I like the looks of the truck. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/11/17 7:31 p.m.

You want to take a 1967 Triumph 2000 project in partial trade? Hehe

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/12/17 10:58 a.m.

If this doesnt sell before the challenge, i would honestly raise the price.. I think both your prices are too low! Sweet truck!

pointofdeparture
10/12/17 12:05 p.m.
Vigo said:

If this doesnt sell before the challenge, i would honestly raise the price.. I think both your prices are too low! Sweet truck!

I know, right? I have had almost zero interest from pretty much anyone anywhere, other than the Craigslist louts offering ridiculous trades or less than half of my asking price. This is an insane amount of truck for the price and you couldn't buy all of the performance stuff itself for what I'm asking...

I think a problem is that it's not rugged enough for the truck guys, yet it's not sporty enough for the JDM guys. So the right buyer is someone who sees the value of a well-built 2WD sport truck...which is probably not a whole lot of people. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/12/17 1:01 p.m.

I'd be on a plane right now to buy this if I had the money.  Being broke sucks. 

That's exactly the kind of pickup that I'd love to own.

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
10/12/17 5:41 p.m.

I like it but at 6' tall I'd only be cramped for a SWB reg cab that was less than 1500 miles from me.  And all I have is a ridiculous trade or half the asking price.  I'd LOVE a 22r/5 speed/Weber RWD ANYTHING but you're a long way from Bama

pointofdeparture
10/12/17 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Yeah, that's a lot to overcome. For what it's worth I'm 6'3" though and fit just fine (though it obviously doesn't ride like a Caddy).

Nicklovin
Nicklovin New Reader
10/13/17 3:02 a.m.

Ooo I love some Toyota, cool little mini truck. Too bad it's not here in Cali 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
10/15/17 3:56 p.m.

So what's the chances of this being around when tax refunds come in? I'd love to own this.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/15/17 9:10 p.m.

I am interested, how is the towing ability affected by the lowering? 

pointofdeparture
10/16/17 8:40 a.m.

In reply to jimbob_racing :

Who knows, I'll be parking it under a tarp in my yard if I can't move it before the snow flies. I'll probably also want more money around tax time though, since everyone seems to have a lot more to spend...

In reply to pilotbraden :

What are you trying to tow? I don't know how much the lowering affects it, being a 2WD 4-cylinder truck it was never all that heavy duty to begin with. You will need a draw bar with a big rise if nothing else.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/16/17 11:44 a.m.

I tow a Hobie Cat trailer under 1,000 lbs regularly and occasionally a 3,000 lbs boat 10 miles. My Nissan pickup truck with the 2.4 L would do either one easily I did not know about the lowering kit if that changed the tow rating

pointofdeparture
10/16/17 11:54 a.m.

I would think you would be fine with those, just making sure you aren't trying to tow a car on a flatbed or anything.

Some Googling seems to indicate that lowering may have slight effects when you are near max payload and towing capacity, but tons of people seem to tow with lowered trucks just fine. They do say that a weight distribution hitch bar setup is HIGHLY recommended though.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/16/17 12:22 p.m.

If I can sell something this week I'd be interested in coming over next week to pick it up I have a Ford F-150 with the straight six if anyones  interested.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/16/17 12:30 p.m.

I do prefer Straight Sex Myself,  But I'm a Man that love's woman.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/16/17 12:49 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I agree, I thought that I editted my error before anyone caught it, I guess that I was caught with my pants downdevil

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/16/17 1:39 p.m.

Any interest in the Civic?

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/16/17 1:40 p.m.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/16/17 4:32 p.m.

What are the other wheels and what are their sizes? What are the tire sizes?

pointofdeparture
10/16/17 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock :

That is a sharp little car but not really what I'm looking for right now.

Two sets of steelies, one original to the truck with generic truck tires, the other is an uglier set with Altimax Arctics mounted for snow duty. Will have to check on sizes but I want to say they are all 15"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DmRuw2hvIdGVFgjyR6B4fyKhd0NWtOxTmYBCyDCwCZdzKU6CKP2rg12eH1BPx3gX