1 2
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/6/13 10:29 a.m.

SOLD!!!!!

This is definitely mine, so ask away.

Price: $old What you get: 1 car, 2 engines, 2 CT26 turbos, 2 sets of wheels (stocks without tires) Location: West Palm Beach, Florida Contact: PM

1989 Celica All-Trac ST165 117k miles

One of the last ST165s produced. I am the second owner and I would love for this car to go to somebody that will finish it and enjoy it ... I would hate for it to get parted out.

Lets get the bad out of the way first:

• Does not run. I removed the turbo last year to have it rebuilt and never sent it out.
  • Paint is faded. All original except half of driver's fender
  • No cats. First cat is gutted, I dont remember if the second is there or not.
  • No head unit. Infiniti speakers front/JBL back and an Alpine V12 will be included and wired with Monster cables all on factory locations.
  • It will have to be towed
  • Rust:
  • Passenger side rear fender by the wheel (this has been like that since the late 90's.
  • Sunroof, very rusted and I have a clean rust free replacement.
  • small spot started developing on the roof by the sunroof, very small.
  • Current engine in the car is not the original, its a real ST165 that came from a friend's wrecked ST165. I have the original engine and is part of the deal.

The good:

• 2 owners and VERY little has been modified. Its mostly as delivered from Toyota.
  • A solid car to start with that is worth bringing back to life and enjoying.
  • Comes with a set off Scion Tc wheels, factory ones are included also and in good shape.
  • Dash is not cracked
  • Interior is mint, except from what looks to be a cigarette burn on the back seat ... it was like that when I bought it.
  • Every single piece is there + some extra stuff.

I have owned this car since the mid-late 90s. I was very attached to this car, but I have come to the realization that I will never finish it and it will not get any better. I stopped driving it in early 2001 after the headgasket failed on the original engine, I fixed it and drove it to Virginia from Florida but the car burnt a lot of oil and decided to just park it. I then installed the spare engine, and drove it a few times, probably once a year. Last the car was driven was in 2012 before removing the turbo.

I could go on and on telling you stories about the car, but I am sure not many people care. If you are really interested in it, PM me and I can type the whole story since probably 1998 when I think I picked it up.

I can take as many pictures as you guys want, just let me know ... here are a few current ones:

Rust:

Replacement sunroof

J

corytate
corytate SuperDork
4/6/13 5:32 p.m.

awwwww that is lovely
I want it bad, definitely dont have the money for it.
Maybe it'll miraculously still be here a few months from now (very unlikely given this crowd) =]

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/8/13 9:15 a.m.

"AVOID SUDDEN RACING..."

Toyota obviously never meant for a GRM reader to own one of these...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/9/13 6:49 a.m.

For us up here in NE that is rust free. Very nice car to bad it is 1500 miles away

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
4/9/13 12:52 p.m.

If that were up here in Michigan I'd paint it some Toyota Team Europe rally scheme and throw on some aggressive tread tires. Next winter would be fun hooning around on some local back roads.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/9/13 2:41 p.m.

If that were in my garage, Id paint it a new color, in my dreams every night when I went to sleep, then Id throw on some 16x8 RPF-01s wrapped in RA-1 meats that I bought when I won the sleepy-time lottery. The next morning would be a real bummer when I realized it was still the way it was when I went to bed.

But then Id be all silly happy again when I realized I FREAKING OWN A REAL CELICA ALL-TRAC

Slippery
4/9/13 9:15 p.m.

Both of the engines coming with the car have a Toyota Team Europe 1.2mm metal headgasket :D

I drove this car all the way to Maine from Florida back in the late 90's ... right in the middle of January and it was a blast. Had some good times with it.

J

corytate
corytate SuperDork
4/9/13 9:38 p.m.

god I want it

Slippery
4/10/13 8:28 a.m.
corytate wrote: god I want it

Roadtrip?

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
4/10/13 8:43 a.m.

Yeah, up till I saw the sunroof panel I thought "here in Michigan they had more rust than that when they were delivered!"
GLWS, it's a nice looking car.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
4/10/13 10:31 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
corytate wrote: god I want it
Roadtrip?

if it's still here in a couple months=]
Gotta pay for two speeding tickets and taxes.

So what do ya do after paying to get two speeding tickets taken care of? buy a much faster car of course!

Slippery
4/12/13 4:47 p.m.

I got a speeding ticket doing 129mph on a 65 mph stretch of I-95 on that car .... Back in the late 90's when I was younger and more stupid. The trooper was the coolest cop I have ever dealt with, but the ticket was expensive.

BTW, the car has:

• PI lowering springs (UK made), stock ones are included
  • KYB AGX adjustable front struts
  • I am sure there is an extra CT26 turbo laying around
  • A Lotek gauge pillar pod new that I never used as I did not like it
  • front euro turn signals
  • a few spares I accumulated over the years.
NuJrzRedline
NuJrzRedline New Reader
5/2/13 2:53 a.m.

Does it just need the turbo to be set and good?

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
5/2/13 3:32 a.m.

I can't believe this is still available. Wish I could swing it.

Slippery
5/2/13 7:36 a.m.
NuJrzRedline wrote: Does it just need the turbo to be set and good?

I will reply to this in detail tonight when I get home.

I have had a couple of people interested, but the car is still here. I have also had a few people tell me I was crazy on the price, but I thought being crazy was a requirement for becoming a forum member.

J

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/2/13 7:38 a.m.

sweet sweet mother of jebus I want this car...

beans
beans New Reader
5/2/13 7:54 a.m.

I have a love/hate relationship with these cars. I love them because they're so damn cool. I hate them because I'm a Honda/Jeep/Miata guy and these are a goddamn nightmare to work on with instructions written in klingon.

I traded a '97 Civic for one earlier this year. The Civic sucked. The Celica dumped fuel and ran like E36 M3, but was super clean inside and out. I worked on it for 3 days straight in a failed attempt to get it right. Couldn't get it running right/stop dumping fuel(100miles to a TANK), so I had to let it go to one of my friends.

He called me 2 days later to tell me it had bad injector seals. That's it. I now own another Honda.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
5/2/13 8:44 a.m.

Yea, if I had the money just sitting around...

NuJrzRedline
NuJrzRedline New Reader
5/3/13 12:18 a.m.

Waiting on update

Slippery
5/3/13 5:35 p.m.
NuJrzRedline wrote: Waiting on update

Sorry, I came home late last night and got caught up doing other things. I will paste a few conversations I had with some people that asked me about the car, it might seem repetitive but it will answer most questions. Anything else, please feel free to ask.

The main reason I am getting rid of this car is that at this time I have at my house:

• S2000
  • e36 M3
  • e30
  • Miata
  • Acura RDX

All this and the Celica is too much, the S2000 is next. I wish I had the space to keep it indoors, if I did I would keep it. But I hate to see it deteriorate outside in the Florida heat.

I would love for this car to go to a person that will bring it up to running condition and enjoy it like I did.

Also, ALL of the AC system was bought new from Toyota back in early 2000. Even the stuff behind the dash. I unfortunately disconnected the compressor when I swapped the engine, but it should work fine.

Here it goes:

I honestly do not want to sell it, but I need the space.

I have tons of receipts from Toyota from me buying parts and doing the maintenance, but it only went to the dealer once since I bought it. I took it back in the late 90's and had a radiator recall done, a new radiator along with the new metal overflow tank was installed.

I still have plenty of Toyota oil filters, probably 10 or so. I usually changed the oil every 3 to 4k miles.

Regarding rust, just what I showed. You can get under the car and undo every single bolt without worrying about it breaking. Its clean, except those spots. The previous and original owner lived on the Florida intracoastal, I am guessing thats were its from. He then went to Connecticut for a school semester and came back to North Miami. I bought the car in '97, I believe and all it had was the rear wheel rust ... The rest started under my ownership. The worst is the one on the roof by the windshield.

Honestly, its a very clean car to start from. It is also probably the last or one of the last '89 imported to the states. If you look at the pictures, the rear wiper stays upright whereas on all the other ones it stays down ... That along with a few other things that are similar to ST185s on it ... Some of the wiring coloring is different

Body corrosion, there will be zero except what I highlighted. The rear fender has been like that since I bought it ... does not seem to be getting any worse. The one that developed during my ownership is the sunroof, I would forget about it and just swap the extra one I have. You then have that spot near the windshield, its there and I dont like it ... I would probably see about getting this one taking car off if I was you and buying the car. Its very small.

The car was ALWAYS stored indoors except for two times. Back in 2008, the car was in the garage and my Honda S2000 was outside, some shiny happy person stole my seats and I stored the Honda inside for 3 months and the Celica outside. Then in December of 2012, I purchased an M3 and the Celica was moved outside again ... it remained outside until today. I wish I had space in the garage, if I did I would keep it.

The headliner looks great, it has some stains from some minor water intrusion, but its not bad. The passenger seat has a stain too, from the water too ... very small. I am sure you will never find an ST165 AllTrac with such a clean interior ... its great. I also have a spare antenna, my wife broke the one on the car.

The hell hose is "new". I swapped it in 2009 when I bought a new house and swapped the engine. I put literally less then 200 miles on the car since then. When I put that engine in the car, I did: new seals, new valve seals, TTE headgasket, adjusted the valves, new timing belt and I believe ARP headstuds.

The turbo is a single entry CT26. I have a rebuilt CT26 with a cracked hot side, I will give you. I never wanted to use it because of the crack, but you may be able to swap the hot side from the one in the car now.

Brakes, I should have all new seals if you want to go ahead and rebuild the stockers. If you do ST185, I am not sure what all is needed and you probably know more than I do.

Title is clear, I bought the car cash a long time ago.

IN ORDER TO GET IT TO DAILY DRIVER STATUS:

The car has been pretty much parked since 2001 or 2002, so you will have to do some work. I drove it last year around my neighborhood, and this are a few things I remember:

• brakes calipers need to be rebuilt. I am pretty sure I have Toyota rebuilt kits. The fronts are 2 piston calipers, so somewhat tricky.
  • the rear shocks are gone, its very soft. I am 90% sure I have an extra set of struts that you can cut and fit shocks to. The struts are AllTrac specific
  • flush the coolant probably.
  • clean the gas tank and the injectors. I cleaned the gas tank in 2009 as I was moving and it would not start. I then had the injectors cleaned. The gas tank is simple to remove, the injectors are a royal pain in the ass; intercooler, throttle body, valve cover all have to come off.
  • no radio. I might have one I can give you.
  • new tires. They hold air but they are old and dry rotted.
  • new battery

When I removed the turbo it was because the car was smoking. I thought it was the rings, but I did a compression test and cant remember the exact number but came out good and all within a few psi. The turbo is the factory one, so I went with that.

I also did the timing belt back in 2008 or 2009,so that should be ok. Water pump was done then as well.

I don't want to scare you off, but I want to be very upfront with what you are getting. You will not fix it in a weekend, this is a few weekend projects away from being safely driven.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/10/13 9:54 a.m.

Still available

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
8/10/13 10:31 a.m.

Wow. I can't believe this is still available. I'm not even a Japanese car fan and I want it. Understand though that I can NOT bring another car home.

Slippery
8/10/13 10:49 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Wow. I can't believe this is still available. I'm not even a Japanese car fan and I want it. Understand though that I can NOT bring another car home.

I know. I understand that its a lot of money for a car that does not run, but the two 3SGTE engines alone are worth some money.

I have had a lot of offers on trades, but I am looking at thinning down the herd.

Slippery
8/10/13 3:44 p.m.

Organizing the garage, I found:

• new Toyota clutch hose
  • new Toyota front caliper rebuild kit
  • new Toyota rear caliper rebuild kit
  • most of a Toyota headgasket set. Maybe its complete, but I am not 100% sure.

Needless to say, all this will be included with the car.

Slippery
9/14/13 6:59 p.m.

$old anyone? I feel like I am giving this away ...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jLmofowqK85rPlXJR40VSScrMj6d72HVfBir8DiDReSdyDLB5xSN2cN8a2GEg0dY