1 2
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/20/15 1:48 p.m.

I just bought a Subaru and have too many projects as it is so I am putting this back up for sale. I haven't done much with it since I bought it and drove from Chicago to Columbus. Here is the original for sale thread.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/il-1990-volvo-740-turbo-wagon-4spd-man-w-working-od-1000-obo/91503/page1/

Asking for the same $600 I paid. If nobody wants it I suppose I will just have to keep it and make it a pickup when I have time.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/20/15 2:00 p.m.

Put the red block in the subaru to increase reliability GLWS!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/20/15 2:07 p.m.

I can attest that the turbo makes neat noises and the thing returned about 30mpg on the highway when I borrowed it, despite me doing the big-turbo (Doowhttttttthhh - PAH) thing every half mile or so

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/20/15 2:09 p.m.

I have been considering needing a pickup truck with a cap for "around the house" type hauling.
Is the heat working? In the other thread it mentions heater core issue.

I have not chosen a Challenge car yet. Maybe it is choosing me.
Sadly, I will not be able to convert it to a pick up bed style.

EvanB
5/20/15 2:18 p.m.

The heater core is still bypassed (with a brass nipple now since the plastic elbow exploded).

The only gauges that work are the temp, boost and voltage.

I considered putting the drivetrain in my Opel but that needs a lot of other work before I get to an engine swap.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/20/15 2:23 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

The heat will work once the leak in the heater core is fixed. There is a plastic elbow that connects to the core which can be accessed in the driver side footwell. It's a common failure on these cars. I did not diagnose the leak or track it down. I bypassed it because I had spent enough time working on this car.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/20/15 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

The $100 turbo I threw on there is probably one of its best attributes!

EvanB
5/20/15 2:37 p.m.

I did some more digging and unfortunately the plastic elbow isn't the issue, the heater core needs to be replaced.

Edit: unless there is another plastic elbow that I didn't know about.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/20/15 3:05 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

I'm not really sure if there is another elbow. All I can say is the heat WORKED. Even while leaking. It was just a bit more humid than I would prefer.

EvanB
5/20/15 3:22 p.m.

I was thinking of the plastic bypass valve, after some searching it looks like there is another one.

If it doesn't sell I might put a little effort into fixing it.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/20/15 3:27 p.m.

The heater core on it is totally doable. I did one.

Good luck with the sale.

EvanB
5/20/15 3:44 p.m.

It also does rallycross well.

Cooter
Cooter Reader
5/20/15 5:49 p.m.

I should have bought this when it was on the other side of town.

Still not far enough away yet.

garaithon
garaithon Reader
5/21/15 5:05 p.m.

Super interested! Let me see if I can get wife approval. I need a beater to haul crap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
5/21/15 7:53 p.m.

When you say rust... how bad are we talking?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/21/15 8:39 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: When you say rust... how bad are we talking?

Knurled says it's cleaner than any car he owns, including his '02 Volvo.

Knurled was drooling at how clean it was. Clearly not a NE Ohio car.

EvanB
5/22/15 7:03 a.m.

I started stripping out the rear interior in preparation for pickupification but I have everything to put back in.

I took out the gauge cluster to reflow the solder joints but that didn't fix anything. I'm thinking the sensors for the speedo and gas gauge are bad.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/22/15 8:18 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: When you say rust... how bad are we talking?
Knurled says it's cleaner than any car he owns, including his '02 Volvo. Knurled was drooling at how clean it was. Clearly not a NE Ohio car.

The funny thing is it's been a Chicago car it's whole life. Volvo rust proofing has to be the best out there.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/22/15 8:26 a.m.

I just had a thought after seeing the gutted pictures. If turned into a pickup you could pull the jump seats out and mount the hinges to a panel separate from the rest of the bed and have spare tire access or lockable storage area. OR keep the jump seats in there so you could pop them up and have a Volvo version of a Subaru Brat!!

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
5/22/15 9:18 a.m.

Are you interested in trading for a bike at all? My bike

EvanB
5/22/15 5:18 p.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

Not really the style of bike I would be interested in right now.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
5/22/15 7:51 p.m.

So I am interested, seeing as how my search for a whale has turned up nothing. Let me consult the powers that be and get back to you.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/25/15 10:21 a.m.

Not interested in a trade? Long shot but I see you have a miata, I have a set of 1995 miata m 15" bbs with, worn but still autox okay, hoosier sm6 mounted

EvanB
5/25/15 12:49 p.m.

Not really. I have some things in mind to use the cash for and already have plenty of Miata wheels.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
5/25/15 5:38 p.m.

Thats cool, I just had to ask...I crushed my 90 740 turbo almost a year ago and although I still have a turbo 245 I still miss that box of right angles 740

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ayTmhdDm2sMXPtJss0M5vu8cpkoH54MFIvnSGbQelIQHYLVQhacIm8h79TysOlPM