MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/16/11 10:09 a.m.

SOLD!!!!!

1990 Volvo 745 Turbo I have owned since 1997. This is a rust-free southern car, bought by us in Atlanta, taken to Portland OR, and then back to Florida for the past 11 years. Pewter (dark silver) exterior with oxblood (dark red) interior. Used to be pretty well kept up, but has fallen behind in the last few years, particularly the paint and interior. Mechanically good and reliable.
Automatic transmission (manuals were hard to find even back in 97).

The biggest problem is the interior. The headliner was drooping as usual in these cars, and when we removed it the cardboard backer was in bad shape, so we got rid of it assuming we would get one from a junkyard one day. Needless to say, that never happened, and the car has no headliner. In addition, the driver’s seat is pretty well shot and the rest of the interior is faded. On the outside, the paint is looking pretty bad, and is faded and scratched pretty badly as are the bumpers.

Mechanically, as I said up until a few years ago I was pretty good about replacing things, so it has had new hydraulic motor mounts, ball joints, radiator, timing belt, tires, etc. in the past few years. The problem is that cosmetically it has gotten to where my wife doesn't think it is worth putting any more money into, and we are moving out of the area soon.

Asking $750, and have some extras for the right offer. Located in Clermont Florida, about 30 miles west of Orlando easily accessible from the Turnpike. Contact me at daveinpdx@yahoo.com.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/11 11:00 a.m.

I can't believe Donalson hasn't already bought this... he is certainly slipping.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/17/11 12:36 a.m.

lol... I want it thats for sure... just saw the post... wheels are a turnin in my head...

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/17/11 8:49 a.m.

Got a couple questions, here are my replies:

Miles? Odometer stopped working at 188k a few years back. This hasn't been a daily driver, but more of a second/third car since then, but assume it is at least 220k.

Known issues? It has an intermittent charging issue. I blame it on the cheapo Advance Auto alternator, but when I brought it back to them, they put it on their machine and claim it's fine. In any case, it is fine to drive around in the daytime, but if you tried to run the headlights and wipers you may have a problem. This could also be a bad ground, I really haven't messed with it too much. I drive it during the day and don't have any issues.

A/C? Nope. System is all still there and maybe you could charge it back up, but definitely not working at the moment.

How soon does it need to go/wiggle room on price? Any proceeds from this are going directly into my MGB-GT, which I need to have running good by mid-August. And if you get yourself here, I will certainly talk to you on price. I have some cool extras like the timing belt tool that might make it easier to meet in the middle (on price).

Any other questions, let me know. Thanks!!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
7/17/11 10:34 a.m.

hmm need any gt parts ? pm

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/19/11 10:40 a.m.

Anyone interested? I wanted to try to sell it here before I offered it up to the hoi polloi on Craigslist.

dabird
dabird New Reader
7/19/11 4:08 p.m.

In reply to MCODave:

I'm interested but you're in FL and I'm in Louisville, KY.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/11 10:12 p.m.

I have to say I would love to put that engine, a 5 speed and some grip in a MGBGT ;)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/19/11 10:13 p.m.

I want it but thats not going to happen...

might try it up on turbobricks.com

on a side note... this would be a great one to get... it has the later LH2.4 jetronics... the volvo community has come so far with it... can make some serious power with a chip and the add on parts... also has the newer style manifold...

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/20/11 7:17 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is now on Turbobricks. Didn't know all that stuff about this model year - remember it was only a 7-year old car when I got it...

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/22/11 8:34 a.m.

Come on everyone. Wife is ready to see this gone this weekend. First one to Clermont with cash/MG parts or a combination of the two is gonna be really happy.

This is a rust-free, straight bodied, running example of a really cool car, and I'm asking rusty Hyundai money!! How can you lose?

skunkman
skunkman New Reader
7/23/11 11:11 p.m.

$750 for a Turbo Volvo. That is insanely cheap. Especially so close to the $2111 challenge location. Pick it up, drive it over and win.

Sweet deal.

I'm not in Florida.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
7/24/11 10:50 p.m.

I REALLY wish I had the money to pick this up.

MCODave
MCODave New Reader
7/25/11 12:22 p.m.

Just in case you didn't notice the edit up top, it is SOLD. Thanks for all the positive replies!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4cyrspcZOgTpLrEI6idmYkEsm0Y2zj0q01WvNrto9rGNlmxuPRzY0ok41diT1M0Q