1 2
WayMotorWorks
WayMotorWorks New Reader
8/28/16 10:29 p.m.

2003 MINI Cooper Non S. Car has no drivetrain, was an automatic but engine failed so drivetrain was removed. Is complete car otherwise with NO sunroof so it is lighter. Car is bright yellow with white roof. Have clean title in hand. Would be cool to see someone stuff a big engine in for challenge. Asking $1600 Located in Atlanta GA. email info@waymotorworks.com if interested.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/29/16 8:17 p.m.

What could you stuff in a mini. The original was bursting at the seams.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/29/16 9:20 p.m.

Motorcycle engine!

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 7:30 a.m.

And what trans? And to what benefit?

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 7:37 a.m.

Not to be a jeek but there are high mileage s coopers available, running and driving, for under 2k.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/30/16 8:46 a.m.
markwemple wrote: And what trans? And to what benefit?

Really?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
8/30/16 10:26 a.m.

You know, internet lore* when the MINI hit our shores was that it basically used the same motor as the European Neon. Which by deduction would mean an SRT-4 motor would fit. Lots of people poo poo'd it because the setups on the two cars were too different. This could be an opportunity to prove them wrong.....

*By lore I mean a bunch of uneducated internet mechanics who probably never picked up a wrench in their life.

markwemple wrote: Not to be a jeek but there are high mileage s coopers available, running and driving, for under 2k.

I've been watching them down here in Texas and have yet to see one that cheap. They keep coming down in prices, but are all over $3k if not beat to hell. My son keeps going back and forth between a Cooper S and a Miata as his first car, so I've been watching them. But, both cars seems to be more expensive down here than in other places.

-Rob

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 10:47 a.m.

Think of the hassle of trying to work out the ecu, engine and trans situation vs an enhanced super charged mini unit.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
8/30/16 10:50 a.m.
markwemple wrote: Think of the hassle of trying to work out the ecu, engine and trans situation vs an enhanced super charged mini unit.

So don't buy it. No need to E36 M3 all over the thread.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/30/16 11:13 a.m.

In reply to markwemple:

I think you're confused. We're on a forum where someone is swapping the body of a minivan onto a Pontiac G6 chassis. "To what benefit?" and "Think of the hassle" don't enter into it.

"Because it's there," and "I'll be sure to think of the hassle when I'm ankle deep in wiring harnesses."

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
8/30/16 11:38 a.m.

Wow. I have a big ol 'lectric motor that would be great for this.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/30/16 11:40 a.m.

In reply to markwemple:

Just think of all the time you would save if you only posted in threads where you have something helpful or positive to impart.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 1:38 p.m.

So it's OK to buy a car to run in the 2017 challenge that is slower than stock and took a boat load of time to build, will never be remotely as reliable and will bugger you every time you have to think about which part went with which vehicle when you do a tune up or....? I get enhancing a vehicle but to go backwards just because?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/30/16 1:45 p.m.

It is way more OK to do that than it is to constantly crap up other people's threads with negativity. This is not a one time thing with you, what is your issue?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/30/16 1:47 p.m.
markwemple wrote: So it's OK to buy a car to run in the 2017 challenge that is slower than stock and took a boat load of time to build, will never be remotely as reliable and will bugger you every time you have to think about which part went with which vehicle when you do a tune up or....? I get enhancing a vehicle but to go backwards just because?

If you are having fun, of course it's ok. I fail to see the problem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/30/16 1:47 p.m.

So it's OK to write a post to put in the $2016 classifieds that is worse than useless and took some amount of time to type, will never be remotely as useful and will bugger you every time you have to think about which word went with which thought when you do a review or....? I get posting a thought but to go backwards just because?

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 3:21 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Logic, I guess.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 3:26 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

How is it pointless or worse than pointless if it has a valid point? A mini cooper's engine bay is miserably small. If you put a bike engine in there, you'll mount it longitudinally, so how do you plan on driving the wheels? Most any other choice and how do you plan on fitting it. I'm far from against stuffing a bike motor in a car. I regularly think of putting one in my 60 BE. And I can even understand, for craps and giggles, putting a super charger or a turbo on a riding mower. Just not this. Just my 2c, that's all. FWIW, there's a 2007 in the Albany area that's just a little more incomplete for $500.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/30/16 3:27 p.m.

I know of a guy that put a Geo Metro engine in an original body Mini; lighter engine, more power, you can break down anywhere.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
8/30/16 3:28 p.m.

Now, that I get. Especially a turbo motor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
8/30/16 3:31 p.m.

In reply to markwemple:

You know that was just your previous post with a few words changed right?

I think the general disagreement is not with your point, it's that people are annoyed that you've taken it upon yourself to be the first to drop by and be dickish about anything and everything. Add something constructive or funny every now and then to even it out and people will probably stop getting annoyed.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/30/16 5:02 p.m.
markwemple wrote: A mini cooper's engine bay is miserably small. If you put a bike engine in there, I assume you'll mount it longitudinally, so I am curious how do you plan on driving the wheels? How do you plan on fitting it? I'm far from against stuffing a bike motor in a car, I regularly think of putting one in my 60 BE. And I can even understand, for craps and giggles, putting a super charger or a turbo on a riding mower. Just not this. Just my 2c, that's all. FWIW, there's a 2007 in the Albany area that's just a little more incomplete for $500. **link would go here**

With only a few modifications done to it, this could be by far the best of your 7 posts in this thread. The tone is now a little friendlier, and with a link to the example mentioned, might even be considered helpful (not to the OP, but for someone near Albany looking for most of a Mini) Which is kind of the point of this forum. To help and encourage our fellow GRMers to follow their hearts and create what they want to create. You can present your logic in a way that is not antagonistic or demeaning. If not, this may not be the forum you are looking for.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/31/16 6:41 a.m.

I believe that for a Challenge mini the correct location for the bike motor is where the passengers seat used to live. Add tiny driveshaft to an upside down rear diff in the front and appropriate lightness.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/4/16 3:12 p.m.

My 2003 MINI Cooper S (Challenge car- purchased for $1500 in very good condition) was extremely heavy for the wheelbase. They weigh about 1100 lbs more than a 1st gen Mini (that's nearly double!)

I really doubt a motorcycle engine would have enough torque to get it moving.

But the cars are a total hoot- definitely an adult go kart!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
9/4/16 3:31 p.m.

There are factory electric drivetrains that surface occasionally.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
slcHBNuJzeSLIMVUVvL00AjS7HignidT