cincicliff None
Jan. 20, 2011 10:10 p.m.

I noticed this 600SEL on craigslist in cincinnati. Pretty amazing deal for $400. I talked with the owner's grandfather who answered the phone and it does sound like it might be real. Non-runner - wiring and some sensors are fried (I suspect this is the result of owner replacing the battery and maybe reversing the polarity?)
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2170616622.html

Am I the only one who thinks a $400 6.0L V-12 would be really fun to play with? 389 stock hp in a 5000 lb yacht - nothing a little powered downforce can't solve!

Anyway my wife reminded me I have way too many other projects right now. Could be a really interesting donor for a Challenge car or a really interesting Lemons tank? Might look great with some diplomatic flags from an out of favor country. I hope this is useful for someone!

I have no relation to the seller and have not inspected the car in person. Proceed at your own risk!

carzan HalfDork
Jan. 21, 2011 5:52 a.m.
cincicliff wrote: Non-runner - wiring and some sensors are fried (I suspect this is the result of owner replacing the battery and maybe reversing the polarity?) http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2170616622.html

Nope, I don't think it is anything the owner did. As he stated in the ad, these have wiring that is insulated with biodegradable material. It may have been a well-intentioned idea for the time, but it has been a nightmare for owners. Many 90s era Mercedes get junked because of this. It is just more expense and trouble than the car is worth, for most people. A megasquirted MB V-12 in a challenge car would be sweet, though.

carzan HalfDork
Jan. 21, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Here's a link to a thread he (I'm assuming) started on BenzWorld: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1565802-ripping-my-hair-out-13-000-a.html

Grtechguy SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 6:32 a.m.

hmmmm....does painless make a kit for this car?

92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 7:00 a.m.

I'm thinking a Megasquirt or two? (can they run V12s yet?)

And then two turbos.

patgizz SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 9:49 a.m.

universal harness + ? = big car cheap? probably not, i'd like to dump a v12 into something though.

fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
Jan. 21, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Put a carburetor on it?

pinchvalve SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 10:07 a.m.

Guy sounds like a real penis however.

16vCorey SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 11:40 a.m.
carzan wrote:
cincicliff wrote: Non-runner - wiring and some sensors are fried (I suspect this is the result of owner replacing the battery and maybe reversing the polarity?) http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/2170616622.html

Nope, I don't think it is anything the owner did. As he stated in the ad, these have wiring that is insulated with biodegradable material. It may have been a well-intentioned idea for the time, but it has been a nightmare for owners. Many 90s era Mercedes get junked because of this. It is just more expense and trouble than the car is worth, for most people. A megasquirted MB V-12 in a challenge car would be sweet, though.

My dad's '95 S420 had ZERO problems in the years that he owned it, until he bought the replacement, a '00 S500. I drove it to work to put it on our lot after he got the S500, and it died on me on the way to work. It wasn't getting a cam signal, then I noticed that there was no insulation on the wires going to the cam sensor. Pretty much the entire engine harness was cracked and VERY brittle. Other than that, it had 230k trouble free miles on it, and still looked new.

914Driver SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 11:48 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Guy sounds like a real penis however.

Nah, just cranky.

Is he really selling it for $2 or is that a come on? He didn't say in the body of the ad. If he's cranky AND selling it for more than the advertised $2, I'd happily flag the penis.

Dan

914Driver SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 11:49 a.m.

SBC & Ron Frances wiring.

fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
Jan. 21, 2011 12:16 p.m.

Geez. I'd never heard of this problem. $4,000 for a new wiring harness? Hum. I'm sure it would take some time, but really, couldn't you make or adapt a wiring harness for just a few hundred bucks? In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson "how hard can it be?"

I'll get my hammer.

fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
Jan. 21, 2011 12:25 p.m.

Okay, google found this thread on another forum:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1490475-1995-s600-main-wiring-harness.html

If that info is accurate, you need two wiring harnesses and can get them for about $3,500. Which is still a lot, but, you know.

Xceler8x SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 2:49 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Okay, google found this thread on another forum: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1490475-1995-s600-main-wiring-harness.html If that info is accurate, you need two wiring harnesses and can get them for about $3,500. Which is still a lot, but, you know.

Funk that. I'd get a roll of wire and wire the whole car WITH THE SAME COLOR WIRE FOR EVERYTHING.

mndsm SuperDork
Jan. 21, 2011 2:58 p.m.

SOLD! Will delete in the next day or so.

You took the time to mark it sold, why not delete it right now?

ansonivan HalfDork
Jan. 21, 2011 3:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote: SOLD! Will delete in the next day or so. You took the time to mark it sold, why not delete it right now?

Because he's a penis?

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

10 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

10 hours ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

12 hours ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

13 hours ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

14 hours ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

16 hours ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

2 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 days ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 days ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

3 days ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

4 days ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

4 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
9fCHcfBFyuJGrBfUnq7qufPvEVr99NZh