dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 10:23 a.m.

I don't know why but this talks to me.

Link

Never heard of this but it would be cool.

I think the challenge needs a "elbow grease" class. Basicly it would be clean it add safety related parts only like brakes or steering components fuel lines. And you run it. No questions about budget because you don't have one. Only the purchas price is counted.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 10:29 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I don't know why but this talks to me. Link Never heard of this but it would be cool. I think the challenge needs a "elbow grease" class. Basicly it would be clean it add safety related parts only like brakes or steering components fuel lines. And you run it. No questions about budget because you don't have one. Only the purchas price is counted.

I don't really like the car, but I think that you have struck upon a great idea. Sort of a Classic Motorsports version of the Challenge.

dean1484
1/21/17 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

It would promote the kind of stuff that many of is do. We go out and clean polish and most importantly refurbish what we already have.

Things would have to be hashed out like say would you be able to rebuild carbs and tire replacement. Only dot legal in the stock size with say a 350 min compound?

The point being it should reward hard work and attention to detail and a good story and history. Kind of a classic motorsports meets Lemons challenge class.

The concourse (or lack there of) would be the primary event. The drags and autocross would be purely for the entertainment of it. Voating a winner be 80% GRM (This is after all an editorial event) with 10% anyone in attendance and the last 10% from the other participants in the class with you not being allowed to vote for your own car.

128racecar
128racecar Reader
1/21/17 1:27 p.m.

I like the idea of this type of class. Bring something weird that you bought for under $2017. Stock rebuild or replacement type parts only, no performance upgrades with no budget limit. No restorations, just survivor/rat rod like. Maybe a reasonable refurb budget-say 3-5K. Invite only, with GRM ability to not accept entry if it didn't sound like purchase was a legit 2K- documentation required, and ignored if looks bogus. This is about a weird as it gets, so automatic entry if it drove in under it's own power

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
1/21/17 1:37 p.m.

The biggest problem with linked Lloyd is you can buy a perfect one for @$4k

128racecar
128racecar Reader
1/21/17 2:24 p.m.
MDJeepGuy wrote: The biggest problem with linked Lloyd is you can buy a perfect one for @$4k

Where?

MDJeepGuy
MDJeepGuy Reader
1/21/17 3:14 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar:

There was one at Carlisle this year at the import show. I could have driven it home for $3500.

dean1484
1/22/17 12:21 a.m.
MDJeepGuy wrote: The biggest problem with linked Lloyd is you can buy a perfect one for @$4k

Ya but it does not then fit I the challenge purchase price restriction.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/17 7:50 a.m.

Two Grand and Make-It-Safe

128racecar
128racecar Reader
1/22/17 8:35 a.m.
Woody wrote: *Two Grand and Make-It-Safe*

I like this

dean1484
1/22/17 3:16 p.m.