B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/11/18 2:46 p.m.

This car is so stinking cool. I so wish I could snag it up. 

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/72-volvo-p1800es-race-car/6489219262.html

From the Owner: 

This is a car that I used to race. It has the following:
LSD differential
5 gal tank
Kirkey seat
full cage
dome top pistons
double valve springs
nylon front bushing
koi adjustable shocks
400# springs in front
full race cam
spare block and head
steel crank gear
aluminum flywheel
4-2-1 header
Trailer rides straight
probably a few things I forgot to mention

I won first place in SCCA Solo2 the second year in EP in this car. It comes with the trailer. 

Now the not so good:
little rusty but still solid. Cracked block. Been sitting for several years. Probably needs new rings. Trailer need 4 new wheels

128racecar
128racecar Reader
2/11/18 3:58 p.m.

If that was local, I would be all over it like a wet blanket. 

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/11/18 8:43 p.m.

In reply to 128racecar :

RIGHT!?!?! Epically awesome. And it comes with a freaking trailer 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/18 9:00 p.m.

I texted it to Stampie.  His trailer kinda sucks so maybe he will buy it and give me the car and keep the trailer

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
2/11/18 9:16 p.m.

Cool as heck but that car is TOAST. crying

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/18 11:01 p.m.

Damn! So cool

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/18 5:53 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I didn't even realize it was on a trailer until I read the ad. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/12/18 6:07 a.m.

The 4 new tires you have to put on the trailer would be it’s greatest asset.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/12/18 6:18 a.m.

Holy Berk - that is a Steal.  Seriously.  The LSD alone is worth the asking price.  Damn, I wish there was some way I could get this. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
2/12/18 7:43 a.m.

I didn't need to see this. Ill be in Jacksonville friday.....

hobiercr
2/12/18 8:50 a.m.

Look at the back corner. One of us?

hobiercr
2/12/18 12:00 p.m.

Car is on eBay now. Emailed seller asking to call. All I got was the ebay link back...

Ebay link

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/12/18 12:06 p.m.

eBay makes the most sense.  He probably got inundated with calls at $750 and suspected his asking price is too low.  I wouldn't be surprised if it sells in the $2000 range.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/12/18 12:15 p.m.

Cracked block ... probably needs new rings

Really?

hobiercr
2/12/18 12:24 p.m.

Got a call back. I'll try to put in details.

• FI car with stock Jtronic system
  • Crane ignition system
  • Car parked when pushrod bent when valves floated from over rev
  • 4:10 tru track LSD
  • trailer wheels are 5x5 Ford (wheels on trailer are rusted through)
  • No ramps
  • 14' deck on trailer
  • 400 lb front springs, stock rears
  • Drivers A pillar rusted through, rockers rough, rear lip under glass rough
  • No log book. Cage never certified as it ran Solo2

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/12/18 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Seller is probably referring to the rings on the dome-top racing pistons in the cracked block, assuming the re-builder would try to swap them to the new block.  Hard to know without taking it all apart and taking measurements. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/12/18 1:23 p.m.
Ian F said:

Holy Berk - that is a Steal.  Seriously.  The LSD alone is worth the asking price.  Damn, I wish there was some way I could get this. 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/car-shipping-101-because-you-cant-drive-every-proj/

Had a feeling you would have the hots for this thing!  If it rolls it aint no thing to get it shipped to your garden plot.

The open window makes me shudder as to what is there for a floor.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/12/18 1:57 p.m.

E36 M3, if he paid me $500 I might would haul it off.  I could buy tires for the trailer, sell the LSD and one or two decent items and keep the trailer.    

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/18 7:11 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Interest, yes - but not to the point of adding to my already overloaded project list.

Since it doesn't have an interior to hold water, I doubt the floors are too bad.  

Looking at the ebay listing, the car is a bit less enticing...  all of the glass is gone and replaced with plastic.  The hood is gone.  The rear fenders have been chopped for tire clearance.  While it could be resurrected as an Prepared car again, even getting it to vintage race condition may be tough.  As a street-car project, my rusty ES looks like an easier project.

After looking at the eBay listing more closely, I reduce my number down to about $1000. Without more knowledgeable eyes on it, there are just too many unknowns.

hobiercr
2/13/18 11:01 a.m.

Stampie is putting eyes on this tomorrow. As much as I'd like to get this and build/play with it in Rallycross it would most likely be acquired for the parts and to clean up and flip the trailer.

Talking to seller, supposedly the floor has some smaller holes in front of the seat but worse behind it. The fact that it has an un-qualified cage and no log book makes it's future as a vintage racer a tough road.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/13/18 2:55 p.m.

Knowing what I know now, and knowing that the P1800 is just a pretty 122, I would follow in this guys footsteps and drop the shell over a 3 sereis BMW chassis.

Sell all the P1800 giblets that you dont need to zero out the cost of the body.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=333984&page=3

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/13/18 5:30 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

That's part of the problem.  Other than maybe a few mechanical bits, I don't see many usable 1800ES parts.  The floor pan and frame bits might be of use to me if they aren't too rusty.  The car looks like it was stripped to the bone for E-Prepared autocross rules, which are quite a bit different than any Vintage racing rules. 

And my god an E30 would be the last berking chassis I'd want to waste a Volvo body on... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
awalJJdMQV34bECUNrdS9nKcDR2IKJjUytsLMlHAMwf6z9fSUuYwiWlXGkT0F0yF