bluescooby Reader
May 4, 2016 11:32 p.m.

Sold, thanks!

Klayfish UberDork
May 5, 2016 7:22 a.m.

You're only about 10 minutes from my office...I'm in Lawrenceville. If the wife wouldn't kill me...

bluescooby Reader
May 5, 2016 7:58 a.m.

Nope, I get it. Mine didn't kill me but she did threaten to roll it into the street and light it on fire on several occasions...

spitfirebill UltimaDork
May 5, 2016 10:07 a.m.

What's the situation with the clutch? OK or need replacing?

crewperson New Reader
May 5, 2016 10:36 a.m.

Do you think it would be okay for a fly and drive? Say 800 miles.

bluescooby Reader
May 5, 2016 11:09 a.m.

I was told by the PO that the clutch had been replaced a year or so prior to me purchasing it, but the PO had no records of it. I haven't had any issues, it holds well with no slip or chatter.

As for the fly and drive, I'm not 100% sure, just because I've not taken any road trips with it. It left me stranded once but it was a charging issue; I replaced the alternator and it's been good since. I also addressed a radiator leak that caused it to run hot when sitting in traffic. So in theory all the hiccups it's had that might prevent a road trip have been tended to, but I've not tested it out...

May 5, 2016 11:19 a.m.
crewperson wrote: Do you think it would be okay for a fly and drive? Say 800 miles.

Only if you're planning on replacing the timing belt before you leave or if there is documentation of the belt being replaced recently.

They need to be replaced every three years or 30-40,000 miles, otherwise they'll launch valves into the pistons.

Klayfish UberDork
May 5, 2016 11:29 a.m.

Any idea when the timing belt was last done? Is it leaking, smoking? Suspension in good shape?

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
May 5, 2016 12:03 p.m.

"Other things that need some TLC: motor mounts are shot (have replacements), power steering is disconnected (have a replacement pump and seal kit), timing belt (have belts, water pump, and flywheel lock), and the front seats have covers (could stand to be reupholstered)."

AWSX1686 Reader
May 5, 2016 12:10 p.m.

If you were't so far away I would definitely consider this. It looks pretty clean aside from the seats and front bumper.

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
May 5, 2016 3:27 p.m.

I sent you an email.... I'm working on permission.

spitfirebill UltimaDork
May 5, 2016 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Imjosh:

Easier to just ask for forgiveness

Stampie HalfDork
May 5, 2016 6:42 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

Just tell her that you bought it for her.

Cooper_Tired Reader
May 5, 2016 7:05 p.m.

That's a killer deal.

So glad I'm forbidden to buy another car right now.

crewperson New Reader
May 5, 2016 7:40 p.m.

Permission?? What is this permission stuff?

May 5, 2016 8:38 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Permission?? What is this permission stuff?

It's something adults have to sometimes get from their significant others before making a large investment of either time or money.

A cheap Porsche falls into both categories.

Mine still hasn't forgiven me over the 924 I bought. In my case forgiveness hasn't happened.

bluescooby Reader
May 5, 2016 10:02 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Any idea when the timing belt was last done? Is it leaking, smoking? Suspension in good shape?

Nope, the PO didn't do one and the car didn't have any service records. I've got belts and such but just haven't found time to hunker down and change them. Suspension feels fine. No smoking but it looks like it might be leaking a little from the front main seal... haven't been able to get in there to check it out. The oil level hasn't decreased noticeably since I changed it. Most of the crud on the engine and undercarriage is the power steering fluid that evacuated from the pump when the PO forgot to use the correct stuff...

And as far as asking forgiveness goes, that only works once or twice in my experience. My wife wised up pretty quickly. I've tried it with cars and guns, with limited success...

Cooper_Tired Reader
May 6, 2016 7:40 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Permission?? What is this permission stuff?

Yeah I just brought a Miata home, and still haven't sold the car the Miata is replacing.

No way I'd survive bringing home a Porsche

Imjosh
Imjosh New Reader
May 11, 2016 7:34 p.m.

Asking permission turned to begging..... Begging worked.

Thanks Bluescooby

bluescooby Reader
May 11, 2016 7:56 p.m.

Ha ha! Enjoy it buddy, thanks!

paranoid_android74 SuperDork
May 11, 2016 9:41 p.m.

In reply to Imjosh:

Well played sir, well played!

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

1 day ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

How Ben_Modified Wows the Crowd: 1 Part Imagination, 2 Parts Fabrication

1 day ago in News

Ben_Modified's build combines some of our favorite things.

2017 Audi A8 L

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

2 days ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

3 days ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

3 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

4 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

5 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

5 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

1 week ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 week ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
y3sU7NvhiGefCiR0Yq9UzskFq3ttztBf