Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/6/10 8:05 p.m.

I bought the mustang about a month ago from Jacksonville with plans on putting the motor into a BMW convertible. I have been unable to find a suitable canidate for the swap and decided to go forward with turboing the RX-7 so the funds will be redirected.

The body and interior are rough but it runs and drives well. It made the trip back from Jacksonville with no problems. It would make a great project car, canidate for a V8 swap into a 4cyl mustang, ranger or any car for that matter. I did not do any of the work to the car but it has several modifications done to it.

Modifications:

Performance Products upper and lower intake manifold Cold air intake MSD Billet Distributor and MSD coil Equal Lenght Headers H-Pipe (no exhaust after this) Unknown Cam (nothing radical) Unknown Roller Rockers and Springs E-Fan Pro 5.0 Shifter Unknown Aftermarket Clutch (said to have under 5k on it) 3.73 rear end (done at the same time as the clutch)

Issues:

As I said the body and interior are rough. There is some rust around the sunroof and on the drivers side door. Also rust on the drivers side floor. The rear spoiler is missing and the holes filled with silicon. The interior is rough with missing trim pieces etc. The drivers seat has the common broken mount.

The only drivetrain issue is the common second gear grind. Still shifts fine just grinds.

$1500. Pretty firm on the price. Maybe a bit cheaper to a challenger. Has a clear title. Interested in interesting trades. (I am not a FWD guy but try me)

Some pics from my craigslist post http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1537444469.html

Greg

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/6/10 9:52 p.m.

Any idea if it would pass emissions? Could I drive it to Atlanta? I will be down for Daytona, might be cool to drive it home from there.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous New Reader
1/6/10 10:32 p.m.
Greg Voth said: Equal Lenght Headers H-Pipe (no exhaust after this)
maroon92 said: Any idea if it would pass emissions?

I'm thinking the answer is no.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/7/10 6:36 a.m.

my bad, I guess I get excited and miss a few words in descriptions when I want a car....still might consider it.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/7/10 11:00 a.m.

No way it would pass emissions. I drove it from Jax to Daytona (90 miles) with no problems.

I hope you are not looking for a DD. It would best serve as a donor or race car.

I can't promise it will make it anywhere. I am stupid enought to buy a $1000 79 RX-7 sight unseen and drive it from KC to Daytona. Daytona to ATL doesnt seem too bad aside from the loud exhaust and 3.73s.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/7/10 11:16 a.m.

Greg, If you saw my current DD, you would consider this a vast upgrade, I am sure.

(Thanks John Brown!)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 12:02 p.m.

Remember many companies sell converters for long tube Fox body headers. Depending on testing station some may only need you to pass the sniffer and may ignore the visual questions.

1: Make sure there is no CEL present

2: Make sure there are converters present

3: Make sure the car has good tread and is not falling apart.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/10/10 9:27 p.m.

OK I found another car I want but this needs to get out of my driveway first. Silly wife thinks five toy cars is too much.

How does $1200 sound? I need it gone this week if possible.

New CL post http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/1546796909.html

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/11/10 1:56 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: Greg, If you saw my current DD, you would consider this a vast upgrade, I am sure. (Thanks John Brown!)

Hey! Thats a 2000 dollar aspire you get there!

Joey

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/11/10 6:57 a.m.

sorry Joey. I do greatly appreciate the car, in an underapreciated sort of way. It still keeps trucking along, and gets me to work every day!

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/11/10 8:53 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: sorry Joey. I do greatly appreciate the car, in an underapreciated sort of way. It still keeps trucking along, and gets me to work every day!

It's ok. I'm still mad at myself for buying that car in the first place. I bought it in a hurry and didn't realize all it's issues.

Joey

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/11/10 12:16 p.m.

So far it has only had to have a new front right wheel bearing, new brake pads, a "readjustment of the front alignment", a new key from when the other one disappearated, a couple sets of crap tires, a new front right caliper, two new CV axles, and now a brake booster. YAY! Oh well, I have almost had it for a year now...

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/14/10 9:42 p.m.

So anyone want to buy this thing? How about a grand? I found another car I want and need this gone first.

John Brown
1/15/10 7:05 a.m.

Oh Greg you are killing me. I really can't right now. I want it but it is logistically impossible.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/17/10 9:00 a.m.

Im not killing anyone. Silly Craigslist people are killing me. I dunno what people expect for $1500 (and now $1000). Hell its got more in aftermarket parts than what I am asking for.

Only two people have actually showed up.

I am getting a sensible station wagon to replace it. A sensible station wagon with a V8 and 5 speed

John Brown
1/17/10 9:58 a.m.

Volvo wagon?

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
1/17/10 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Greg Voth:

Give it up, what is the wagon?

BBC

dmidknight
dmidknight New Reader
1/17/10 11:56 a.m.

Deleted, so does that mean it is sold?

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Reader
1/17/10 4:55 p.m.

Nope I just update the ad to reflect the new price. Pics dont do much good its a beater. He is the new ad.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/1556641110.html

The wagon is a 84 Volvo with a 5.0 and T-5. Swap done by Converse Engineering. IDP suspension, AC works. Everything is great but it has rust. Not quite challenge friendly but worth it. Doing the math I couldnt realistically put the 5.0 in a BMW or RX-7 for less than I am buying this for. A little less than $1000 over the challenge budget.

The guy is selling it b/c he has a supercharged 99 miata for a toy and a 5-speed E46 wagon as a DD he just bought.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/18/10 3:16 p.m.

Wow... I can't believe nobody has picked it up for a Cobra donor... maybe post on one of those forums?

I'd be interested if it wasn't 1000+ miles away...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NUcOxyaiGccyMmuQPshe9GlVM8NlyCo6qgVaPieVZg5tWp7ol0FgLJItUF1GlgJ0