EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 6:20 p.m.

My Montero is up for sale, discount for GRM folk.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-mitsubishi-montero/6714306123.html

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/3/18 7:36 p.m.

Really like the third row seating....

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
10/4/18 6:34 a.m.

If only I needed a winter beater, it's, just, so, perfect.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
10/4/18 11:35 a.m.

Dang.  That looks like such a better tow vehicle for the beetle than the V8 S10. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/4/18 11:48 a.m.

Damn. This should move quickly. GLWS!

EvanB
10/4/18 12:22 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Dang.  That looks like such a better tow vehicle for the beetle than the V8 S10. 

I did tow the Miata to nationals with it and towed a RX7 home from Nashville with it. It does well with a tow dolly. It can handle a full size trailer but I would want to put new shocks on it before towing often like that. It is just redundant now that I have the GMC for towing and I am attempting to pare down from the 20 cars at my house. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/4/18 4:52 p.m.

I literally was talking with my wife about building a expo rig for us and the kids last night..

literally.

Literallly.....

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/4/18 5:04 p.m.

Considering I've looked a Pajero's in the great white north to bring back home for a mail route vehicle that is HIGHLY tempting. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/5/18 7:58 p.m.

I shouldn't be asking these questions, but does it have the 3.0 or 3.5 liter engine?  also, what kinda gas mileage do you see with this thing?

EvanB
10/6/18 9:28 a.m.

It has the 3.0. Gas mileage is around 16 city and 20 highway. 

A few things not mentioned on craigslist:

The steering has some play, I checked over the front end and everything seems tight, I believe it is the steering box. I have driven it like that for around 25k miles and it hasn't got any worse. 

The fuel tank leaks from the top if you fill it all the way up, I assume it is the seal around the pump/sending unit. It will smell like gas if you fill it up or leak if you fill it up and park on an incline. I just don't fill it quite all the way. 

I replaced the rear pads and rotors and replaced the front pads. I did not have the socket to remove the front hubs and replace the rotors so I just did pads, it does have a bit of a pulse from the front under braking when it sits for a bit. I still have the new rotors for the front that can go with it. 

There is a small exhaust leak, I believe in the area of the left exhaust manifold. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/18 12:36 p.m.

I thought the steering felt great, for what it's worth.  When I rebalanced the front tires after I got it home from Michigan (long story...), I did a thorough front end check and all the steering linkage and ball joints are good.

The brake pulsation disappeared while it was in my care, as well.  I didn't keep track but I think I drove it about 2500 miles, mostly delivering tofu to the top of Mt. Akina.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kXJ0mwS29CVC7LSZrITiQ0aHgMSkXldIrGGAeyZJANmSegQYNTkVTcJzeVFafJjR