The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
7/21/12 5:25 p.m.

Yes, it's a GTS. I had to google it too...no affiliation, though I have checked it out. It has just over 181,000 miles. No death rattles or ticks and I didn't see any smoke.

http://peoria.craigslist.org/cto/3152061648.html

It's not as stock as he thought, it has tubular rear control arms and lowering springs that felt kind of soft. It had the typical old Mustang detached-from-the-road-feel (compared to my Brighton) and, of the forward gears, only 2nd had a bit of a crunch. Reverse felt like it had a tooth missing or something. The owner said there must have been a faulty ground because the gauges were doing some strange stuff but, "If it was actually doing what it said it was doing the motor would have popped a long time ago.". It needs tires, an alignment and a new battery. The underside of the floor is a bit rusty but FROM WHAT I COULD SEE there weren't any cracks around the torque boxes.

The gauge weirdness and reverse are what scared me off. He said he was willing to come down to $1,800 but I had only grabbed $1,500 out of the bank so no dice.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
7/21/12 9:40 p.m.

In the past 16 - 18 years, I've only ever seen these (GTSs) advertised for sale...maybe twice. I suppose some of that could be folks who didn't know what they had. And, when I see a '94-'96 Mustang, I always look to see which engine it has...at least 85% seem to be 4.6s.

I guess because Mustangs are "a dime a dozen" and they seem (?) to get better with each passing year, I don't feel it's necessary to look for cars like this GTS. Still, good luck.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/22/12 10:55 a.m.

I really wanted to order one of these when they were new. That was primarily because I could afford a GT...of course, I couldn't really afford a new car at all, at that time.

I'm glad I didn't do it.

Cuda
Cuda New Reader
7/22/12 5:57 p.m.

The 5.0 only came in the 94-95 GT or Cobra. The GTS's were basically stripped down GT's ( no power windows/locks). I would grab it for 1800 if I had the cash.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/23/12 10:07 a.m.

I have NEVER seen a legitimate GTS that wasn't Black with Black/Tan cloth interior.....I've seen about 8 or 9 in black over the last 10 years, but never in a different color.

Basically, its a V6 body and interior with the GT's suspension and drivetrain(hence the gts...)

Also, integraguy, the 4.6L 2v was in gt's of this bodystyle from '96-98....the 5.0L from 94-95

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/23/12 10:47 a.m.

That car screams "FFR donor!"

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
7/23/12 5:57 p.m.

Kinda regretting not hitting the ATM for extra cash and pulling the trigger on this.

Parts are ridiculously plentiful and cheap, unlike my Scoob...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
7/23/12 6:32 p.m.

You should've waved the cash you had on you . . . .You never know. . . .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aDzuITpYNvEYUPlF8H8nKAV11AfwjaQ7yKYINCoKm663KZLz8Y3n3JEEuhlNrqco