Matt_P
Matt_P
7/10/18 8:36 a.m.

For sale is my 98 V70 T5 with a manual transmission. It has 195,490 miles on it but still drives well. The clutch does not slip and the transmission shifts smoothly through all of the gears. I bought the car about 6 years ago. I did a lot of work on the car over the years and I love the car but I was ready to move to something newer. I think the price is pretty fair for a running and driving car. Given the mileage, it may be worth more in parts if someone is interested in buying it just to part out. I tried to disclose all of the various issues to the best of my knowledge. The car is located in Philadelphia (Fishtown). I have this car listed on some Volvo enthusiast forums as well.  It is probably best for someone who knows these Volvos but I always see some obscure stuff on these forums so I figured I would give listing it here a shot.  Email is the best way to get a hold of me, billabond1@gmail.com. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pics can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NF...RcH4flyXzfidif

Good:
• Head Gasket replaced at about 150k. No issues since.
• Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, idler and serpentine belt done at the same time.
• Front left wheel bearing around the same time
• Steering rack from Rack Doctor replaced about 10k miles ago
• New radiator within last 15k miles
• Redline MTL in the transmission
• IPD front and rear sway bars
• 16" Meteors with Conti DWS (less than 15k miles)
• Spare set of 15" Antlias with Michelin X-Ice snow tires (at least one or two seasons left on them)
• 99 v70 seats in pretty good condition. Just a little wear on the driver seat bolster
• No delamination on any of the door panels
• Rear spoiler with built-in third brake light
• Rear cargo cover in excellent condition. I never installed it.
• Volvo 440 side markers
• VDO boost gauge
• Older Eclipse head unit with AUX
• PA inspection and emissions until 12/18

Bad:
• Fair amount of exterior cosmetic damage. The car has lived in Philadelphia and has been bumped, scraped, and bruised. Front left corner of the bumper is cracked and badly repaired.
• ABS and Tracs lights are on. Speedo works fine.
• Driver's door hinge is broken so it does not stop at the notches
• Oil leak, not terrible but not great either. Not exactly sure what it is, but I think it is the oil cooler lines.
• Small exhaust leak. The exhaust on this car has been repaired many times. This may need some attention.
• Sometimes clunks when putting the car in first after coming to a stop. This is a common issue with the m56 transmissions caused by slack somewhere in the driveline. 
• Intermittent issues with the interior map light switches.
• Broken trim piece on rear passenger seat.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
7/10/18 8:59 a.m.

Cool! I assume this was manual swapped - these never came to the US as a manual from the factory, right?

Matt_P
Matt_P New Reader
7/10/18 11:56 a.m.

It is a factory 5-speed.  98-2000 T5s could come with a manual but there weren't many.  In 98 there were something like 125 delivered to the US. That number when down every year.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/18 10:15 p.m.

Aren't these turbo? This is a wagon class contender.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/10/18 10:15 p.m.

The rarity of the mtx makes a good concours talking point.

corytate
corytate UltraDork
7/11/18 8:28 a.m.

Unff when I got my xc70 it was only because I couldn’t find one of these. Good luck with the sale, I wish I could take it off your hands!

Matt_P
Matt_P New Reader
7/11/18 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

It is turbo charged and is pretty quick. Brand new they made 236 hp @ 5100 rpm and 243 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm. I feel like mine has retained a decent amount of that power.

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Marketing Assistant
7/13/18 4:06 p.m.

If someone brings this to The Challenge I’d probably buy it from you on the spot once you’ve had your fun. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
7/14/18 6:21 a.m.

I'll ask around and see if I know someone who might be interested in this...

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/14/18 6:54 p.m.

My Volvo buddy (collector, hoarder?) Mark may be contacting you soon.  Lmk if I can facilitate in any way.  He's in Atlanta tho

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/17/18 4:36 p.m.

Anybody have a phone number for Matt?

Matt_P
Matt_P New Reader
8/24/18 12:24 p.m.

Car is sold. Thanks for the interest.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tbn26panYEIjYvhYwhC9LWyvtDO7f8zbQFfPbKQPTYIHTbM5h70svQpbSzdCRxue