dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/15/18 9:14 p.m.

I got a deal on more 3" heat shrink tubing than I will use in three lifetimes. It's this stuff:

https://buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/diesel-resistant-heat-shrink.php

Diesel / oil / jet fuel resistant, but unknown if it's gasoline resistant. (It's not listed, at least.) 1/8" wall, shrunk diameter is max 1.5". It is without a doubt the heaviest and largest heat shrink I have ever seen. It would work great for protecting fluid hoses and lines, main wiring harnesses, children's arms, etc. Actually I think a car's wiring harness shrunk inside this stuff would look incredible.

It is in 82 foot spools. It's usually ungodly expensive (something significantly higher than $30/ft or $1000/spool). I have multiple spools of it but am willing to sell sub-spool quantities. I was thinking $3/foot or $100/spool of 82 feet, plus shipping. You can guarantee you won't see stuff of this grade for that price elsewhere.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/15/18 9:51 p.m.

I have to ask, what in the world did you order that for? 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
6/15/18 10:25 p.m.

Man I'm wishing it was 3.5" bit I'm still in for 10 feet. How do you want to be paid? 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/15/18 10:45 p.m.

@spoolpigeon: stuff happens. ;)

@jumper: PayPal, check/mo, cash in a pneumatic tube, anything is fine. Email me at my user name at gmail dot com and we'll figure it out. 

MrMSB
MrMSB New Reader
6/16/18 12:44 a.m.
dculberson said:

I got a deal on more 3" heat shrink tubing than I will use in three lifetimes. It's this stuff:

https://buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/diesel-resistant-heat-shrink.php

Diesel / oil / jet fuel resistant, but unknown if it's gasoline resistant. (It's not listed, at least.) 

for what it is worth, clicking on the specifications link gives this page, under which it lists “fluid resistance (gasoline)”, an iso number, and “pass”.

https://buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/diesel-resistant-dimensions.php#dimensions

So in theory it’s good to go. The specs on the 3m interchange part for it says excellent resistance to petroleum based products. 

-MSB

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/18 10:05 a.m.

Hmm, I could probably use that for something... Have to think about that...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/19/18 12:36 p.m.

I've used big heat shrink tubing to encase brackets or other various things that I don't want making metal to metal contact. That stuff is super useful to have around. Think outside the box a little bit and I'd bet you could find many things to do with it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/19/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Awesome idea, for some reason I didn't think of that. It would work well as an insulator since it's ~1/8" thick after shrinking.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/18 5:51 p.m.

Did anyone else think of this Link when they saw the thread title?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/25/18 9:05 p.m.

Jumper K got his; he can tell you how awesome it is. Anyone else want/need some??

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/25/18 9:46 p.m.

Im in for some. Think it would work instead of buying silicone couplers for intake tube on the challenge car. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/25/18 11:16 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

That would be an innovative use for sure. I doubt it would hold up long honestly. It’s not made for pressure and unsupported (not wrapped around something) use. But there’s only one way to find out! Let me know how much you want at my user name at gmail dot com. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
6/28/18 9:56 a.m.

I sent you an email. However I'm not sure it actually came through. Did it?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sLfNy5ONGXYxnBmMu1FRf8rQkX1lUW5beZ9UuwVQovyBwYki7nhCfeiQyTCzU6So