akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/3/18 9:06 a.m.

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/d/classic-1989-mazda-rx-7/6434390309.html

This appears to be a slick top five lug GTUs...that runs.  

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
1/3/18 12:49 p.m.

I love me some FC, but I think if you want one, the extra $1018 would be well spent here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/201x-classifieds/1986-rx7/135387/page1/

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
1/3/18 1:04 p.m.

but but but the sunroof...

I can't tell with the fender badge but I wonder if that is a GTUs instead of a GTU... which would make it a 4.3 rear end

holy E36 M3 it is a GTUs! turbo 2 wheels. this is an excellent start to a race car.... must resist temptation but this is an ideal parts car for me...

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
1/3/18 1:11 p.m.

Updated with an s.  I thought the slick top, crank up windows and five bolt wheels meant something.  Says GTUs in the add.

I think it is with in 20 minutes of me if anyone needs enabling.  I may even have access to a spare fuel pump relay to drive it home.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
1/3/18 1:51 p.m.

Pasted from WIKI because I had to look it up:

In 1989, with the introduction of a face-lifted FC RX-7, and to commemorate the RX-7's IMSA domination, Mazda introduced a limited model labeled the GTUs. Starting with the lightweight base model GTU, which came with manual windows, no rear wiper, the sunroof and A/C was dealer optioned, the GTUs added items found on the Turbo model such as four piston front brakes, rear ventilated brake rotors, vehicle speed sensing power steering, one-piece front chin spoiler, cloth covered Turbo model seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, 16 inch wheels, 205/55VR tires, and a GTUs-only 4.300 Viscous-type limited slip differential (all other FC LSD's were 4.100). This allowed quicker acceleration from the non-turbo powered 13B. Mazda built 1100 GTUs in 1989, with the last 100 re-stamped as 1990 models. There were 100 1990 GTUs made in 1990 this can be verified by the vin stamp L the 1989 restamped GTUs were k then restamped with an L.

Cool find. I am not in the market for another project. I am not in the market for another project. I am...

Sparkydog
Sparkydog New Reader
1/3/18 1:53 p.m.

Not to mention its got that lazy bedroom eye! 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
1/3/18 2:49 p.m.

Seems expensive I’d offer low.

typical craigslist add “runs great” “won’t stay running” 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
1/3/18 3:23 p.m.

Like the first gen miata AFMs, these trigger a 3 second fuel pump burst when you first crank the car.  After it gets running, the AFM is supposed to trigger the fuel pump to stay on.  If it didn't start, the fuel pump will turn off after 3 seconds.

If this is the problem, a paperclip jumpering the fuel pump test switch (black, two-prong connector on the drivers' side shock tower) will bypass that AFM "test" and keep the fuel pump running all the time that the key is on.  Not terribly safe in an accident, but it'll get you home if that's the problem.

I wouldn't expect a fuel pump relay to allow it to work at all..

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/3/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

Holy crap- and it's only over in St. Joe.  Sooo close!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
1/3/18 6:15 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

In reply to fidelity101 :

Holy crap- and it's only over in St. Joe.  Sooo close!

Go get it already!!

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/4/18 5:40 p.m.
akylekoz said:

https://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/d/classic-1989-mazda-rx-7/6434390309.html

This appears to be a slick top five lug GTUs...that runs.  

ALL GTUs were non sunroof.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
1/5/18 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

I'm still licking my financial wounds from Christmas.

Our Preferred Partners
iwsuYPLnqlqcurrNSZqwQ9HPLtvQ7qLQYFJbdxp7FJqUQVQyBWS1nVuTTZe5MDCt