1 2
NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/27/14 11:07 a.m.

My tow rig is for sale- I'm switching to racing on two wheels for the immediate future, so this is kind of overkill now. GRMers can have it for sub-challenge price, and probably have something in their backyard I would trade it for

Craigslist link

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/27/14 11:13 a.m.

good looking rig, should be an easy sell.

saruken
saruken New Reader
9/27/14 2:56 p.m.

Info I've found online suggests this beast has a towing capacity of something like ten thousand pounds. Also it appears you could fit three people and a fridge inside.

I generally stick to hatchbacks and kei cars but I'm feeling powerfully inspired by what I could accomplish with a rig like this. And the price is certainly right. If only you were in the southeast, I might risk the Wrath of Wife on this one.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/27/14 3:01 p.m.

I have the 2003 version of this with the 454's son the Vortec 8.1l. I can attest to the stoughtness of these trucks. They tow good!

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/27/14 3:06 p.m.

In reply to saruken:

Pay for gas and a plane ticket, and I'll drive it to you! I've driven this thing 14 hours straight before, I'd love one last long road trip to deliver it to it's new owner

saruken
saruken New Reader
9/27/14 5:11 p.m.
NONACK wrote: Pay for gas and a plane ticket

Not sure which one would cost more with that thing

Seriously, I will bring it up to the Powers That Be tonight. Maybe she'll be enticed by all the antiques and gardening stuff it could haul...

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/29/14 7:25 a.m.

Help... I keep going on Expedition Portal- now I'm trying to figure out how to put a Westfalia top on this thing

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
9/29/14 11:24 a.m.

Wish I saw this before buying tires for my wife's van.

OhioMark
OhioMark New Reader
9/29/14 12:16 p.m.

I have a 05' 2500 and it pulls great with my 6.0L, so this thing should have no problem with anything short of a 5th wheel.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/29/14 1:25 p.m.

with the 16.5" rubber the tow rating would be even higher as that rubber is the limiting factor in the OEM rating

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/29/14 1:52 p.m.

I'm glad you aren't closer. That is a fine deal on a fine automobile.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/29/14 3:33 p.m.

Good deal

saruken
saruken New Reader
9/29/14 4:09 p.m.
saruken wrote: I will bring it up to the Powers That Be tonight. Maybe she'll be enticed by all the antiques and gardening stuff it could haul...

Well that did not go well. She may or may not have used the phrase "Why don't you just burn a berkeleying oilfield?"

GLWS anyway man. Someone's getting an awesome rig at a great price.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/29/14 10:23 p.m.

I may be interested. I will see what the wife thinks. I just got her an H2 so I am not sure how this will go over.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/30/14 6:51 a.m.
saruken wrote: Well that did not go well. She may or may not have used the phrase "Why don't you just burn a berkeleying oilfield?"

That's the plan baby, that's the plan. One massive tank at a time.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/30/14 7:02 a.m.

42 gallons at a time!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/14 8:04 a.m.

I don't have that problem my wife wanted the H2 so she has no say with respect to MPG. On a side note the H2 gets better millage than the Expedition that it replaced.

The issue is that the "fleet" is rather large at the moment so I am sure that at a minimum I would have to ditch at least one car (was going to do that anyway) Would you be interested in a 94 Mustang? Nothing special V6 very early production. Yes there is some rust. I have replace the motor with an 97 it has about 80K on it now. Recently did head gaskets. While the heads were off I had them decked. The reason for the HG was the electric fan went and it got up to 250 deg. Upon inspection of the gaskets I found that it was not the HG that went it was the intake manifold gaskets and they looked to be defective (over torqued) from the factory. The car is a good appliance with a rousch front and rear wing. I have replaced a bunch of stuff over the last couple years. Rad, all the brake lines, new rotors, calipers, It has the upgraded GT front calipers. New fan new gas tank and pump. New alternator and battery. new inner and outer tie rod ends. New frount tires. Rears with about 50% tred. COmes with extra set of GT 16" wheels and wide sporty tires that are about 70%. Wha tit needs I think is either the caster adjusted or a new rack and or a new PS pump but I would no hesitate to drive it down to you. All around a decent beater appliance car that looks a bit sporty. Forgot it is an automatic. Interior is nice. AC does not work (don't use it so could just need a recharge). And get this it is "low millage" LOL it "only" has about 160K on it. For a 20 year old car that is something like 8K a year. I always chuckle at this as it seems when I get cars with high millage by the time I get rid of them they have low millage for there year. I would be willing to trade plus cash your way.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/30/14 8:58 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I will have to repectfully decline. I had a Mustang- once was enough.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/14 9:32 a.m.

i had a 96 big block 2500. everything is beefy. the rear leaf springs weighed over 100# each.

awesome trucks for sure. even my 94 half ton towed well, except it would sag in the back with 6k of trailer.

i kept the 3.73 g80 locking 14 bolt from the 96.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/14 10:26 a.m.

WHY DID I CLICK THE LINK!?!?!?!?!

OH MAN, I like that. but I'm trying to downsize the number of vehicles. Though it would come in handy when it comes time to move next year. Our 7 dogs could ride in the back seat, and still have half the house packed in the back.

EDIT: do I dare ask what kind of mileage you're getting out of that monster?

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
9/30/14 10:31 a.m.

12.5 is my best tank (carrying a DRZ400). 7.2 was the worst (towing a heavy trailer in the mountains of WV). 10mpg is typical for it if you're not on the highway.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/30/14 10:47 a.m.

()

Though that's what my future brother in law claimed he was getting out of his 1500 pickup with a trefitty in it. I still think he was just pedal to the floor wherever he went.

Gotta think on it, I swore I was done buying 20+year old cars after the SVX. This one at least has a cup holder.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/30/14 12:13 p.m.

Good "bugout for the apocalypse" machine. Filling the 42 gallon tank is so much fun these days. North of $100 every gulp.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/30/14 12:13 p.m.

In reply to NONACK:

Do you have any pictures that show the extent of the rust?

markwemple
markwemple Reader
9/30/14 12:21 p.m.

FWIW, my 02 1500 suburban gets about 19 hwy (lets not talk about around town mpg). I bet that beast gets better than he thinks. He's being conservative. And, its a great price to boot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hvCc867Jo0o8CK2L0farwKqabIsV6fGaHTm7qsTa4TViRe0OxNu0vkPtJePZjKAE