Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
5/18/12 7:23 a.m.

Not mine . . .cannot haz

1990 BMW 535i 5-speed - $1600 (Charlotte)

CL Seller said: 1990 BMW 535i 5-speed - $1600 (Charlotte) Date: 2012-05-17, 5:29PM EDT Reply to: kn7r7-3021804089@sale.craigslist.org BMW 535i sedan -- the so-called "Big 6 motor." Factory 5-speed. 278k miles. Cirrus Blue with blue interior. I drive it to and from work during the week. Sold as-is, where is. Yes, you can drive it away. PROS: Runs, drives, stops. Difficult to find 5-speed with good clutch. New, quality tires (not off-brand crap) New lower control arms New coolant temp sensor (for fuel injection system) New crank position sensor New center support bearing and flex disc/guibo (driveshaft) New exhaust hangers Valve adjustment about 1k miles ago NO LEAKS Body seals are good. AC/heat works well Winter package - heated seats and limited slip differential in the rear Power windows Power locks Fog lamps High Function OBC No rust Runs nice and cool Fresh oil change <1k ago No emissions test needed on a car this old! ORIGINALLY SOLD RIGHT HERE IN CHARLOTTE if you can believe that. The original manual has a slot for a dealership business card. It's still there. Cons: No rust, but hood and bootlid have been resprayed (poorly) at some point in the recent past Shifter bushings are pretty worn - lots of play, but not hard to find gears Door panels delaminating (it's an E34, after all) Radio sucks Center console inlay is aluminum, not the stock woodgrain Dings, dents Exhaust leak (the exhaust system is what the Brits would call "perished") Seat belt sensor inoperative (airbag light on, but again, it's an E34) Issues that need fixing that I haven't addressed: Needs tie rods (which I have and will include with the car, but haven't got the time to install) BAD shimmy when braking from speed, 50mph+ (I know it isn't the control arms - those are new - but it could be the play in the tie rods or warped rotors. Has no problem with lower speed braking.) Occasionally throws "brake linings" warning in the OBC - brakes look fine, so it's probably the pad wear sensor Can be a stubborn starter when warm, but hasn't failed to start on me. Cold start is just fine. I think it could use new o2 sensors, but it's not throwing dummy lights. Interior isn't great, but it's comfortable enough HVAC control dials aren't lit at night with the lights on I bought this to give to a family member to drive, but as I was fixing it up, their need for a car went away. So I've been driving to and from work. If you know anything at all about these cars, you'll know that the stuff I've put into it is what you're buying and the car is basically free. Keep your $500 offers, please. I'd rather keep it and use it to absorb miles that would otherwise go on my wagon. It's not showroom fresh by any means, but it gets me around fine. Viewed by appointment only, and contact by email only. Location: Charlotte it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests PostingID: 3021804089
integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
5/18/12 1:17 p.m.

Beautiful looking car (at least in the pix) and the owner seems to know what is what with the car (very refreshing).

But once again, I would buy if I had a place to park and/or work on it. I'm not really looking for a car like this, but hope someday to find a newer AND lower mileage 535 with a manual transmission. Right now, the local market is "flooded" with budget 540s with automatic.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/18/12 3:43 p.m.

Nice car. I even like the color, somewhat.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
5/18/12 9:02 p.m.

In reply to mrwillie:

My first E30 was that color. It shines up real nice.

In reply to integraguy:

Usually a budget 540 + automatic = needs another transmission.

If I didn't have an E34, this would've been in the driveway today!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RaYPW933HAF67kq2BMQtEhFaIdFvjCLS6Fpu5mLqsWhv9QpV71MIhoDfAFFKCppD