Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
6/30/15 11:42 a.m.

Not mine, but totally affiliated.

Car: 1975 Datsun 280Z

Price: $150

Condition: Rough and rusty but runs and drives.

I'm throwing this up for my dad who, well, let's just say he's not really tech savvy. This Datsun 280Z has significant rust issues but runs and supposedly drives. (When I used to work in his shop I thought there was a clutch problem that kept it from driving. Maybe he fixed that issue since then)

This car belonged to my dad many years ago and he took very good care of it. Then he sold it to a friend who parked it out in front of his house without touching it for a few years. My dad saw it was wasting away and bought it back. But when he got it back there were some major rust issues. He gutted the interior except for the dash and cut out the worst bits but it'll need new floor pans.

The dash is cracked and pretty much destroyed. Seats are in good condition. I'm not sure if the carpet is still around.

It's a '75 4-speed with about 150,000 miles on the clock. Drivetrain is stock. Suspension is stock. Everything is stock, even the rust.

Bodywork that is not on the car right now comes with it. Fenders are rusty. It's sitting on Panasports right now but he said he wants to keep them (for what, I don't know) so a buyer would have to bring wheels to roll it out on.

Not sure if anyone would be interested, but figured I'd throw it on here for him. He says if he doesn't get a buyer by the end of the week he's just going to pull the engine and transmission and scrap the rest.

The photos may belong in the "More Awesome Craigslist Photos" thread, but after a few texts telling him I need better pictures, I've still got these.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
6/30/15 12:20 p.m.

Wish this was in MA. Looks cleaner then my current Z.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/15 12:38 p.m.

More than worth it for the parts alone!

Ed Higginbotham
6/30/15 12:40 p.m.

It would be awesome to see someone get this thing back on the road or even better: $2015 Challenge. You know you want to. Looking for some good welding practice? you've found it.

I remember him driving me to little league games in it back in the day.

Ed Higginbotham
6/30/15 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Yep, he's pretty much in the mindset of giving it away. Wants someone to love it more than he can. In that same shop (and parked just outside) are: A Porsche 944 race car with a crunched up nose (airborne at VIR), an Austin Healey 100-6 that doesn't run and has no bodywork attached, an E36 race car that hasn't seen a single lap on a track yet, a 1st generation mustang that he and my brother are restoring, a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II and an old Mercedes land yacht. I think he's finally starting to see that there are just too many projects.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/30/15 1:29 p.m.
Ed Higginbotham wrote: In reply to Tom_Spangler: Yep, he's pretty much in the mindset of giving it away. Wants someone to love it more than he can. In that same shop (and parked just outside) are: A Porsche 944 race car with a crunched up nose (airborne at VIR), an Austin Healey 100-6 that doesn't run and has no bodywork attached, an E36 race car that hasn't seen a single lap on a track yet, a 1st generation mustang that he and my brother are restoring, a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II and an old Mercedes land yacht. I think he's finally starting to see that there are just too many projects.

You come from good stock . . . . .

markwemple
markwemple Dork
6/30/15 1:49 p.m.

I hate seeing cars like this. Especially when they are so close.

Ed Higginbotham
6/30/15 2:24 p.m.

In reply to markwemple:

Do it! Do it! Do it!

markwemple
markwemple Dork
6/30/15 3:52 p.m.

I am already trying to sell projects in the anticipation of a move. This would be sooooo counterproductive.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
6/30/15 4:17 p.m.

RATSUN RATSUN RATSUN.

That is what I have been dreaming about building for the last month or so.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
6/30/15 4:20 p.m.

Paging Volvoclearinghouse

Ed Higginbotham
7/1/15 8:23 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

That would be awesome. I'm really rooting for this thing to survive.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
7/1/15 8:54 a.m.

Besides the floors what other rot does it have? I assume the rockers and dog legs are bad too.

roadsportusa
roadsportusa New Reader
7/1/15 9:02 a.m.

I am interested in saving this car. Call me Ron cell 267-230-8579

Ed Higginbotham
7/1/15 9:15 a.m.

In reply to PseudoSport:

Honestly, I'm not super sure and I wouldn't want to mislead you. But the last time I saw it, the floors were toast. I actually don't remember much rust around the doglegs, but I could be wrong. The lower front fenders were rusty. And the frame rails are probably an issue if the floorboards are. At one point he was talking about tubing the chassis so that's probably the case. I'll get a better answer if I can get him on the phone.

Edit: Glancing at the interior picture in the lower right hand corner, it looks like the frame rails are indeed berked.

In reply to roadsportusa:

I just sent him your name and number. Hope you guys can work something out!

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
7/1/15 9:44 a.m.

Man...I'm in Baltimore. If I only had room at the Inn...

peej410
peej410 New Reader
7/1/15 2:54 p.m.

How are the rear wheel wells?

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
7/1/15 4:04 p.m.
roadsportusa wrote: I am interested in saving this car. Call me Ron cell 267-230-8579

You should buy it. Because if you don't, I might. And for me that would be incredibly irresponsible. I mean, if it would just be irrational instead of irresponsible...well, I'm okay with irrational every now and then. But please buy it and save me from trying to justify an irresponsible purchase. You dig?

CamaroKeith
CamaroKeith Reader
7/1/15 4:06 p.m.

Seeing this makes me realize I am glad I don't own a farm. I would start out growing corn and soybeans but end up looking like I am growing rusted-out hulks of 70's and 80's sports cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IpmfRtxSITGIL0ZHQEhzE5G0eCZeuq0ykAaDcMFnVMeKUzexXobmkwmqtGwnb99B