1 2
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/26/18 4:13 p.m.

I'll see if I can get him to allow me to take pics by next weekend in exchange I'll charge the battery for him.  He mentioned $500 but I want him to try for at least a grand or I'll end up buying it.  I haven't seen it but I know it needs a new clutch hasn't been driven in a while but still registered until January on the street.  Interior question elicited an embarassed smile.  Exterior has few dings apparently.  Any places I should take pics of or because it's galvanized just take lots of crappy CL stylay shots?

Oh and btw he's gonna get a Corvette to replace it in the future.  I said something about a crazy corner of the internet extolling the virtues of C5s and he seemed cognizant.  smiley

Now he says the title went to his old address.  Yes.  Yes.  I know but I'll try to prod him to get that pronto.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/26/18 8:01 p.m.

I want a P car bad but I don't know why. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/26/18 8:39 p.m.

If he wants $500 - give him $500.   

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/18 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Yup then sell it to one of us for $600

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/27/18 8:29 a.m.

What year and wherezitat? Yeah, pitchers would good.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 8:44 p.m.

Year and options are important. Pre 85.5. It is not worth much at all unless it is an 83 as those motors used all forged internals.  An 83 short block with a ported head and an 89 cam is a great combination.  Post 85.5 and it has some value for parts. If it is an S or an s2 it has more value. 

Unless you fix the clutch the cost to have that done by a shop is probably more than the cars value if it is just a regular 944.  Again an S or an S2 would change that and if it is any varriemt of 951 that is running it is probably worth fixing. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/27/18 10:29 p.m.

I doubt he could have afforded one of the more desirable ones but I don't know yet.  However I did just spend the last half hour down the rabbit hole of 944 internet lore.  But first a clutch kit seems to be in the $500 range give or take.  That got my attention real quick.  If he works tomorrow I'll set up a date to look it over.  Probably Sunday or Saturday depending on when I can coax the keys from him to remove and charge the battery.  Hopefully I can take phone photos and get them up here.  But yeah I'd only give him $500 at this point.  smiley

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/18 5:47 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

If there’s no history of timing belt replacement, you may not want to crank it over. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/18 11:03 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

Check out http://www.clarks-garage.com for service info and a buyer's guide, etc.

Timing belt breaking will send the pistons into the valves and then things get expensive (and many look very closely at LS swaps at that point, heh).

So if the belt hasn't been changed in 3 years or 60,000 miles, don't try to start it.  Crank it over manually to verify all is working there.

Clutches and other parts are expensive, but they typically don't need to be replaced all that often.  Quite a few basic service parts are available on rockauto/autohausaz/pelican/porsche, etc. for reasonable prices.  If you look at the basis of the car, you'll realize that it is a VAG parts bin vehicle, so reversed MK1 Golf front end, Super Beetle rear end (kinda, Porsche played wth the geometry and their own castings after 85/86), Audi FWD transaxle, etc.

The engine itself is pretty robust and will go 300K or more with routine maintenance and aside from some aspects of service being expensive, its not terrible to work on.

The chassis is quite balanced and makes for a really fun car to toss about.  Lots of them racing to this day in various classes.  The hatchback helps it be a bit more usable than other, similar GT's. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/29/18 7:25 p.m.

Year is the magical number '83.  He hemmed a little and said it was started about a month ago so let's say within the last six to be sure.  Claims the timing belt was done but he threw out all the receipts yet thinks he can get them from the guy who did the work.  I guess I must have woke him up a little as he said he's gonna list it for $1k but would be happy with $800.  

Stampie is currently second dibs but really most likely first in line but we'll all see when I can get the location of the car for a quick drive by photo shoot maybe even a keys and pop the hood look.  

BTW he has been quoted $3,500 for the clutch job which is why he's done putting money into it.  smiley

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
8/29/18 8:59 p.m.

I am just a little over an hour away

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/1/18 7:39 p.m.

I just found my first one of these in a U-Pull-It last week.  I was surprised at what parts for these go for, to say the least...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/2/18 11:52 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

Year is the magical number '83.  He hemmed a little and said it was started about a month ago so let's say within the last six to be sure.  Claims the timing belt was done but he threw out all the receipts yet thinks he can get them from the guy who did the work.  I guess I must have woke him up a little as he said he's gonna list it for $1k but would be happy with $800.  

Stampie is currently second dibs but really most likely first in line but we'll all see when I can get the location of the car for a quick drive by photo shoot maybe even a keys and pop the hood look.  

BTW he has been quoted $3,500 for the clutch job which is why he's done putting money into it.  smiley

Pretty sure my fat behind won't fit in the pre 85.5 interior. I was hoping for a newer one.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/3/18 1:53 p.m.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gF1sg76FwwW2aDnT9

Let's see if this link works.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/3/18 2:01 p.m.

Well it works on my Android phone and Chromebook as it should they're both linked to my Google account.  I'll put another link in just a moment.

Sorry for the quality or lack thereof in the pictures.  I was in a hurry sort of and didn't really care about rising above the CL bar.  Couldn't get any of the interior as he was at work but I did attempt to take some.  It looks like there is some alien/swamp type thing going on in there however.  Very bad looking.

In all the photos you'll see how it looked before I gave it a simple foam and rinse then towel dry and after.  Before it would be a stretch to call it a $500 car.  Maybe with a further detail interior/exterior it could be whatever the market will bear.  Certainly he should get $800.  

I'm gonna see if he will sit on it until January when the registration/inspection expires so I can give him no more than $500.

If he wants to move I'll keep you guys updated but I don't know where he's at since I've cleaned the exterior for him. 

Link below to follow. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/3/18 2:03 p.m.
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/3/18 2:06 p.m.

Oops looks like I left the tag on there.  Sorry friend ( he doesn't know about this site however ). blush

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/3/18 2:10 p.m.

lol.  I see both my 200s got in on the action. laugh

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
9/3/18 9:14 p.m.

My brain told me it was black or red.  Those look really good in gold.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/3/18 9:24 p.m.

Just between us, those Fuchs rims are worth a grand on the open market.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/3/18 11:28 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Good to know!  One thing I noticed when cleaning the mulch out of the cowl was that it felt through the surgical glove what seemed to be the bottom lip of the windshield so it seems there is a significant piece of plastic missing from there which would also explain the wobbly nature of the wiper arms.  That might be very expensive unobtainium which is a thing with neglected low production classics unfortunately. indecision

Any opinions on the underbody shots?  I took those simply by lying down on the ground. Seems like a lot of rust.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/4/18 12:27 a.m.

16 hours for a clutch change.  Gulp!  No wonder they quoted him thirty five hundred dollars.  indecision  

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/4/18 8:34 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

clutch job basically involves either pulling the engine, or pulling the entire rear transaxle/torque tube. It's not *difficult* per se, just time-consuming and cumbersome, which is why the labor quote is so high. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/4/18 8:40 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Good to know!  One thing I noticed when cleaning the mulch out of the cowl was that it felt through the surgical glove what seemed to be the bottom lip of the windshield so it seems there is a significant piece of plastic missing from there which would also explain the wobbly nature of the wiper arms.  That might be very expensive unobtainium which is a thing with neglected low production classics unfortunately. indecision

Any opinions on the underbody shots?  I took those simply by lying down on the ground. Seems like a lot of rust.

it's not unobtanium. There are tons of 944s sitting in enthusiasts' yards for parts. For my 924S (which is basically an early 944 without fender flares and a couple other things) I've had zero trouble finding anything on the used market via facebook, forums, etc. There are a ton of 944s sitting around, and I know at least two people who have something like 10 of them for parts/parting out etc. 

Not sure offhand what piece of plastic you might be referring to though.

Shouldn't be a lot of rust under the car, seeing as these cars are galvanized and pretty much don't rust unless it was an extreme salt-state car. The only place they really rust is the battery tray (due to battery acid). The one I bought had sat for 2 years with a foot of water in the floors and had no rust lol.....Only rusty stuff under the car could be brake lines, fuel lines, and other ancillary items - but not the body itself. 

As to cost of parts, I've found that you can get most of the stuff on Rockauto for no more than the price of any other car. Parts for my WRX generally cost more than the same parts for the 924/944, with a few exceptions. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/4/18 8:44 p.m.

I see the car has DC plates.  I just happened to look for 944s on CL today, and ther's one locally for $1800 that's in pretty nice shape, and is a late-interior car. Only kicker is it's an automatic. But if you have to do a clutch anyhow, not the end of the world to swap....

Much nicer than the gold one, honestly...

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/porsche-944-for-sale/6689122227.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3JOFZxAXMv5JbOatoQhsPI0Ad293uXXw1XeEs2lAwMTqyEO4TXzGePF7FcTgZVqF