dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/09 1:10 p.m.

Again, not mine.

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/1013240779.html

I need more space for future projects and I have decided to sell this one. This is an 1985 omni glh turbo. !!! GO ON YOUTUBE AND SEARCH FOR GLH !!! This is the first year for the glh turbo, punderstand this: 1800 lbs and around 180 hp ITS THE ULTIMATE SLEEPER!! This is not an idea commuter car and its probably best for the drag race\autocross crowd. YES it runs, and no its not currently drivable. YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE IT TOWED OR TRAILERED There is something wrong the shifter linkage so shifting is difficult. It also has a broken boost pressure sensor so it runs very rich. The latch mechanism for the hatch is rusty and needs to be fixed. This is a 24 yr old car and it has a dodge paint job which fell off in 87 hahahha. Some of the exterior door handles are broken and it has a busted driver mirror. These are not difficult fixs I just have lost intrest. ok now what you wanted to see , The interior is in outstanding shape clean title 2.2 sohc aluminum block turbo 1 motor 5 speed close ratio tranny 4 new 195\50\15 nitto drag radials 2.5 in to 3 in exaust with some flowmaster type muffler SOUNDS EVIL NEW MOPAR PERFORMANCE PARTS IN BOX mopar performance computer mopar performance cam mopar performance injectors mopar performance intercooler mopar performance valvesprings new front brake rotors in box extra wiring harness why have you not looked on youtube yet extra turbo valve cover and a non turbo 2.2 intake im throwing in after market boost gauge installed its stored in my father-in-laws garage so the weather stripping is in good shape I can show it to anyone on weekends and you can hear it run but dont waste my time. These go for sale on ebay with no motor for 2500 all day long but they are getting scarce. Email me if you are intrested.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/9/09 7:40 p.m.

1800 lbs <-- hahaha maybe if you filled the interior up with helium! Stock curb weight is around 2400lbs if memory serves...

"aluminum block" <-- Wrong again. iron block, alum. head/intake

And if these things sell for $2500 without an engine, i'm going right outside and pulling the engine and putting the shell up on eBay!!! I'm sitting on a gold mine and don't even know it!! hehehehe

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
2/10/09 2:30 p.m.
problemaddict wrote: 1800 lbs <-- hahaha maybe if you filled the interior up with helium! Stock curb weight is around 2400lbs if memory serves... "aluminum block" <-- Wrong again. iron block, alum. head/intake And if these things sell for $2500 without an engine, i'm going right outside and pulling the engine and putting the shell up on eBay!!! I'm sitting on a gold mine and don't even know it!! hehehehe

He's right; these Omnis are not as light as they appear. I had an '86 that was completely gutted with a roll cage, had one seat, a TON of rust and all options removed. That car still weighed 2180 lbs. with < 1/4 tank of fuel. Keep in mind, however, that these cars can make really great power, though! And a 2200 lbs. car with 200 fwhp would do well at the Challenge......................until you get to the concourse.

-Les

bamalama
bamalama Reader
2/10/09 3:06 p.m.
fastasleep wrote:
problemaddict wrote: 1800 lbs <-- hahaha maybe if you filled the interior up with helium! Stock curb weight is around 2400lbs if memory serves... "aluminum block" <-- Wrong again. iron block, alum. head/intake And if these things sell for $2500 without an engine, i'm going right outside and pulling the engine and putting the shell up on eBay!!! I'm sitting on a gold mine and don't even know it!! hehehehe
He's right; these Omnis are not as light as they appear. I had an '86 that was completely gutted with a roll cage, had one seat, a TON of rust and all options removed. That car still weighed 2180 lbs. with < 1/4 tank of fuel. Keep in mind, however, that these cars can make really great power, though! And a 2200 lbs. car with 200 fwhp would do well at the Challenge......................until you get to the concourse. -Les

Please. That thing had to be worth 5 grand, easy.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/10/09 3:10 p.m.

I had no ideas Omnis were that heavy. I woulda pegged them at 2100-2200 tops, and would've found 1800 to be fairly believable.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
2/10/09 4:25 p.m.

I think people underestimate the weight of a vehicle. Really, ask Andy Nelson what his entries have weighed. You may be shocked at the answer. Interestingly, a Dodge Caravan turbocharged minivan weighs <3400 with no options and a full tank of gas. I weighed mine on the way back from Illinois at a CatScale. It seems it would be heavier. Our '95 Eagle Talon AWD with nearly no interior? 2960 lbs. with a 1/4 tank and nitrous kit.

-Les

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
2/10/09 4:31 p.m.

True. I just somehow thought an Omni would weigh in somewhere around a Rabbit.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
2/10/09 4:52 p.m.

I thought that as well before I had one. I don't know why the Omni has so much more weight than the Rabbit, but it does. I can tell you that the 2.2/turbo/5-speed trans. combo is not a light one, especially compared to the 1.7/4-speed combo (I don't remember if the '86's cam with a 4- or 5-speed). I'd say that along with safety equipment additions and options additions could cause a significant difference. ?? Dunno what the largest cause for the difference is. Mike??

-Les

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/09 8:34 p.m.

They certainly don't feel any more well built due to the additional weight...

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
2/11/09 4:59 p.m.

Open and close the doors on an Omni and a Rabbit and you will instantly feel the difference. The rabbit will make you think, Gee, I hope I don't break it. The Omni will be, wow this little car is beefy.

fastasleep
fastasleep New Reader
2/11/09 8:09 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: Open and close the doors on an Omni and a Rabbit and you will instantly feel the difference. The rabbit will make you think, Gee, I hope I don't break it. The Omni will be, wow this little car is beefy.

The doors on my Omni were gutted and rusty; probably still twice the weight of the Rabbit's doors though.

-Les

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eGgNdhOXhjocczn7T99pz0tt6pE4y62C3zbcmUjX92Vq8GVwqPqOlZwrWoswt2tn