Treb Reader
May 25, 2011 8:16 p.m.

1995 Jetta, 2.0/5speed

GRM price: $500. Located in Lexington, KY.

207,000 miles

The last 100,000 or so are just about pure highway miles. I've used it as a DD on a long commute for over a year. Runs nicely, handles well enough, AC blows cold-ish.

Recent work: replaced ignition switch new front struts (KYB); new-to-me rear Koni reds. HR lowering springs... about 1" lower than stock. (Springs and KONIs from a GRM-er a few years ago) Rebuilt front suspension -- ball joints, bushings (poly), strut mounts (converted to VR6/late style) New rear wheel bearings Tuneup: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, K&N air filter. 200,000 mile alternator replaced with 80,000 mile alternator All of the common drastic oil leaks on this motor have occurred -- and been fixed -- in the last 8 months. Oil pressure sensors, oil cooler gasket, valve cover gasket, breather tube seal. (I made huge smokescreens while I limped the car home, but you should be good for a while).

Everything in the exhaust from the exhaust manifold back is under 5 years old; the cat and downpipe less than 3.

I'm trying to remember what else I've done... the car is in not-terrible overall shape. I found a set of old brake pads marked VW in the garage this weekend, which would imply that I've put new brake pads on in the last 3 years, but honestly have no memory of having done so.

The bad part -- one big rust hole, on the driver's side front shock tower. The slightly-ameliorating bit: I have a patch panel, ready to weld in.

The body has a few dents -- it lived and parked in New York in its early years, and has been a winter beater since.

Occasionally runs slightly rough in cold or wet.

Will probably need a LF wheel bearing sometime soon.

Radio and cruise control are dead. (if you know MK3s, I did the cc fix with the external relay and it worked for a while, but haven't investigated the re-failure). I removed the alarm module because it would go off randomly.

Spares package, including: ss braided brake hoses (new) used AC compressor (alleged to work) used alternator (works but noisy) the not-yet-installed parts of the full poly bushing kit rear beam bushings, with poly inserts (see above) timing belt and tensioner

Have most service records back to about '98 or '97 from PO. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

I'll try to post some pics, but the good camera is on vacation with my wife, and the bad camera is... bad.

Matt

Treb Reader
June 6, 2011 7:02 p.m.

Still available...

Treb Reader
June 7, 2011 3:16 p.m.

PM replied to.

One other thing I thought of. These cars often have problems with the transmission jumping out of gear. This one is fine -- I've never had a problem with that.

Matt

16vCorey SuperDork
June 7, 2011 5:48 p.m.

If I needed a car, or had any room for that matter, I'd be all over this.

Treb Reader
June 8, 2011 11:04 a.m.

It's close. It's cheap.

Come on, the GRM boards are full of enablers...

Matt

Treb Reader
June 10, 2011 7:54 a.m.

Forgot to add: new tires last fall. Good all-seasons -- BFG g-force Super Sport, which tirerack calls a high performance all-season. Based on the mileage out of the last set, should be 30k+ left in them. Cost more than half what I'm asking for the car now.

Treb Reader
June 15, 2011 7:55 p.m.

Sold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

4 hours ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

6 hours ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

7 hours ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

1 day ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

2 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

5 days ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

5 days ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

What's the Plan, Man?

6 days ago in Articles

Thoughts on our racing plan for the year.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

1 week ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

Up for Auction: All of Level 5 Motorsports's Hardware

1 week ago in News

It's a pro race team part out.

Can You Really Live With a Low-Buck Porsche 911?

1 week ago in News

For the past two years, on of our forum regulars has been chronicling his life with a Porsche 996.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Autocross Abomination

1 week ago in News

Classic British styling with a rotary engine?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
udn0UzNGpnY8VRxyipI5RigNiMETTSD8