borf42
borf42 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/3/18 8:24 p.m.

Price drop: Make it yours for $1000!

So I sold the Miatas in an effort to pick up a Mustang. I succeeded in buying the cheapest manual Mustang GT on Craigslist. It worked fine for a couple of weeks, then it didn't. What is happening is the PCM stops functioning. Odometer blanks, and that's it. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes you have to tow it home. I am dealing with way to many stressful things in my house, mostly surgery related, and I don't think I want to work with this car anymore. So here we are, selling it for way less than I paid for it.

Specs:

1999 Mustang GT

Car has 212,xxx miles or so, and the previous owner said they replaced the engine with one that had 50k, but didn't give me a time when that was.

When it ran, it ran great. Shifted smooth, although I feel it needs the clutch adjusted.

Dark charcoal interior is practically mint. I don't think it is original, as the leather seats are nearly perfect. Only odd thing is a couple of small holes in the dash for the GIANT tach that was there. I took it out, but you are welcome to it if you want.

Has a really nice Magnaflow exhaust, sounds very good.

AC blows ice cold

Short throw shifter, I think it is a Steeda Tri-Ax. Works well.

No stereo, but is has the Mach 460 speakers, and they worked pretty good. I may be convinced to throw in the Kenwood headunit I bought for it.

The car has been hit from behind and not really repaired perfectly. It has body filler, which I discovered well after the purchase. It looks great from 20 feet though.

Things I have tried to make the engine computer work properly:

Uninstalled the poorly installed HID headlights and repaired the harness

Cleaned and dielectric greased all grounds I can find

New headlight switch and plug

New ignition switch

Installed new alternator.

Checked all the fuses and relays

Replaced the relay module in the passenger fenderwell

Replaced all of the battery cables and engine to body grounds

Replaced PCM with another PCM (did the exact same thing)

Checked all connections for the PCM and engine harness for corrosion

I have spent so much time and money trying to get it to work and I am done. My loss can be your gain and all that.

I paid $2700 for the car, bought a bunch of stuff to try and make it work, along with a few other cosmetic things as well.

gmail account is borf42. Shoot me an email.

All this can be your for $1000 obo. I have the title. 

borf42
10/3/18 8:26 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
10/4/18 8:41 a.m.

I don't need another nice looking $1500 mustang. repeat

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/18 10:07 a.m.

Last night i read something about the fuel pump relay and needing new one or cleaning the contacts in relation to no start/blinking odometer.  Maybe that helps?

borf42
10/4/18 10:26 a.m.

I did have to resolder the odometer in the instrument cluster, as it wasn't even lit up when I got it. I also replaced the module that houses most of the relays, and sadly it made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though Patrick. :)

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/18 10:29 a.m.

Oh well maybe it’s just possessed 

borf42
10/4/18 12:19 p.m.

Maybe. It just may hate me, and the next owner will be fine. laugh

borf42
10/11/18 9:18 a.m.

Would anyone be willing to take on this project for a whopping $1000?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/18 10:00 a.m.

Have you checked the O2 sensors?  I had a crazy issue with my Dodge Ram where the engine would randomly stall out after replacing a bad O2 with a Bosch one.  Replaced the Bosch sensor with an OEM one, and I never had the problem again.

I'm trying to save myself from buying this, I'm in CT and have an affinity for high-mileage New Edge Mustangs (mine just rolled 302k).

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/11/18 10:10 a.m.

That is a good deal, heck someone buy it and show whatever flavor LS you want into it, or Ecoboost 4 or V6, etc.

Unfortunately I don't have space, time or money for another project.

borf42
10/11/18 10:13 a.m.

I have not checked the O2 sensors.... Yesterday I did check the voltage drops across all the grounds, and all is good there. Basically the CCRM is just freaking out and not providing power to the PCM. I have a feeling the wiring harness is just fried, as I also discovered that the previous owner welded the ebrake to the floor. I bet it also melted some wires somewhere. It is good for parts at this point. If anyone knows of a CT or MA Mustang GT with a bad motor, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I am cutting my loses and moving on. My poor wife is sick of hearing me complain about it. indecision

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
10/11/18 10:22 a.m.

I wish I was closer! I've been looking for something like this for my next project. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/18 10:29 a.m.

I was going to look at a '00 with a bad motor a week ago, but it sold as I was hopping in the car to check it out.  I'll keep an eye out for you!

borf42
10/11/18 10:38 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

Thanks!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/11/18 11:11 a.m.

Someone please pick it up and do this to it before I do:

dan0
dan0 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/18 4:16 p.m.

Ahh man you just tempt me with all these cars damnitt!

borf42
10/11/18 4:29 p.m.

In reply to dan0 :

Swing by and check it out. Maybe it will be nice and fire up for you. It starts sometimes, and that Magnaflow exhaust makes a sweet burble at idle.... The rest of the time it is all dashes on the odometer and no starting. The worst case is I stash it in my garage over the winter and find another GT with a bad motor, or even just a roller (as long as the wiring is included). A couple of weekends later and I have a running car again. I've even considered getting a 96-98 and replace that motor with mine for the extra power, but I do like some of the interior touches that were improved on the 1999 and up.

borf42
10/21/18 11:10 a.m.

Bumpity bump. Anyone?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/21/18 12:30 p.m.
Patrick said:

Last night i read something about the fuel pump relay and needing new one or cleaning the contacts in relation to no start/blinking odometer.  Maybe that helps?

I've replaced a few underhood fuse blocks for similar symptoms.  (I forget what Ford calls it)  If you can shut the engine off by whacking the module, it's bad...

borf42
10/21/18 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I think I know what module you're talking about. It is called hte CCRM. I put a new on on there, and the Mustang contined to hate me. I worked on it a bunch today, it still acts like a bad ground, but all of the grounds have checked out ok. I used the Ford Service Manual and everything to find them all... I am still hunting around the list to find one with a bad motor, but I am not in a position to buy one now both financially and time-wise. In January, that tune will change. I figure I'll keep it for sale until then and see what happens.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P2RzOkbsHj8hYy5D6zyOlEaox5vgiNIiY8E8dAmwJqP77kfIzeltVkKSI0BpXsp5