Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/11/11 11:48 p.m.

I bought this car and have been slowly accumulating the parts required to make it a very competitive $2012 Challenge car. I have practically everything. Unfortunately I have to move 3 states away soon and can't justify moving this hobby car. I already have 4 other cars I've got to move. I've got to draw the line somewhere

A Laser is a DSM (think Eclipse/Talon). The Plymouth variant also happens to be the lightest of the 3 "brands" of DSMs. This one is kind of the pick of the litter for Challenge goodness, in that it's the lightest type of AWD turbo, it doesn't have a sunroof, and it's got the highly desirable 6 bolt engine and 4 bolt rear axles.

Here's what I've installed on the car already (all within the last 100 miles).

All 4 brake rotors
pads
front ball joints
tie rod ends
front sway bar end links
ported 2G exhaust manifold
Evo3 Big 16G turbo
2G O2 housing

Here are the other pieces I've accumulated, but not yet installed on it:

3" downpipe
full 3" exhaust
(2) extra 3" UltraFlo mufflers
(2) extra downturn tips for same
(1) extra 4' section of 3" aluminized pipe
2G airflow sensor
2G throttle body inlet
Supra Mk4(?) sidemount intercooler
550cc injectors
Apexi SAFC airflow converter
front and rear strut bars
Full set of used KYB AGX shocks for FWD 1G DSM w/springs (450F/350R)
Brand new set of rear AGX shocks for AWD 1G DSM
additional set of 4 unknown ebay coilovers w/springs
HP clutch kit
inner tie rods
boost gauge and A/F meter
A pillar pod for gauges
(4) Nissan 300ZX wheels (16x7.5")
(4) Kumho v710 225/50/16

I also have a stock fuel pump that came with the car. Car had already been upgraded to a Walbro 190. Included in parts is the original 14b turbo and 1g O2 sensor housing. I have also already performed the power steering pump mod to keep it from going dead in slaloms at high RPM.

My plans for the car were to strip it down to about 2700 lbs, install the parts and make somewhere between 275 and 325 horsepower. Properly done and with some time spent dialing it in, it should make for a very good performer at the Challenge.

Car has 100,5xx miles

Single worst thing about the car is that the transmission grinds into second when cold, but I have a quart of Pennzoil syncromesh fluid included with the sale. This stuff is reported to be the magic elixir for this particular trans with this common symptom.

Also, the throwout bearing makes noise, but a new one is included in the clutch kit that comes with the car.

A/C doesn't work due to a leak. Funny story. OK, funny for you - not so much for me. I've gotten the A/C to work with refrigerant installed, but it leaked out. I traced it to o rings at the condensor, replaced 'em and it worked for a while, but was dieing again so I went to add some dye to trace it further. My recharge tool's valve blew apart spraying dye all over the compressor making it impossible to trace for leaks at the compressor. I got so disgusted I quit the job for the day and have never bothered to look into it further.

I'm pretty sad to have to post this listing, because I was really looking forward to competing at the Challenge this year ( even got the hall pass from my wife about a year ago ) but I've gotta do what I have to in order to deal with the relocation.

Price is $1800 for GRMers, which should give some room (especially after selling off unneeded parts) for paint and bodywork supplies.

Title is clear and in hand
VIN# 4P3CT44U6NE061046

Here's a TON of pictures

'92 Laser RS AWD Turbo

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/12/11 8:05 a.m.

In reply to racinginc215:

Absolutely. It runs strong and fires up quickly. This really is going to be a heck of a deal for someone.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/12/11 8:28 a.m.

Flogger, how soon are you moving? I think i NEED this car, but i'm knee deep in cars and projects right now, should be cleared out enough in June.

And i'm pretty much right down the street from you.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/12/11 8:33 a.m.

Holy hell...... I want it. Yeah, how soon are you moving?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/11 8:35 a.m.

Still love the DSM AWD cars. What a bargain! Swap the taillights and headlights for Mitsu unts and that thing would be my DD. (after some transmission repairs)

Damn you new baby on the way!!!

(I don't really mean that of course)

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/12/11 8:49 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I need it gone ASAP, hence the awesome price (OK, I have a soft spot for the Challenge, too). I leave next week to close on the new house, clean, prime, paint and so forth. I'm packing right now. I'm planning on moving the family in mid June and don't have time to mess around. Also, I have an autocross to go to at Grissom all day this coming Sunday the 15th. (different car).

First come, first served.

Also, the GRM offer is for a short time only. No quick takers at $1800 here and it goes to ebay where it'll probably sell for considerably more than $1800.

92CelicaHalfTrac
5/12/11 8:51 a.m.
Flogger00 wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: I need it gone ASAP, hence the awesome price (OK, I have a soft spot for the Challenge, too). I leave next week to close on the new house, clean, prime, paint and so forth. I'm packing right now. I'm planning on moving the family in mid June and don't have time to mess around. Also, I have an autocross to go to at Grissom all day this coming Sunday the 15th. (different car). First come, first served.

I hear you.

I'll see what i can do. What are you driving at Grissom? I may be up there, i'll stop and say hi!

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/12/11 8:58 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

Silver '83 Rabbit GTI in ST. Grissom this Sunday is a Ft. Wayne region event. I've been a Ft Wayne member for 10 years if you want to check up on me. Also, in an old thread by Rhatghia(sp?) I once posted a video of me autocrossing the Rabbit, if you care.

92CelicaHalfTrac
5/12/11 9:00 a.m.
Flogger00 wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: Silver '83 Rabbit GTI in ST. Grissom this Sunday is a Ft. Wayne region event. I've been a Ft Wayne member for 10 years if you want to check up on me. Also, in an old thread by Rhatghia(sp?) I once posted a video of me autocrossing the Rabbit, if you care.

Ah ok, i've got my schedule messed up, thought it was an Indy region event for some reason.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/12/11 9:06 a.m.

Crap, it'd take me longer to get the cash than you have it sounds like. Oh well, i'll make Ben buy it.

92CelicaHalfTrac
5/12/11 9:27 a.m.

I think Ben is going to pass on it, since for my uses (DD), i wouldn't be doing the car justice.

Flogger, good luck with the sale and move. This car is a HELL of a deal!

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
5/12/11 9:58 a.m.

well, If I sell my redline I may try to snag it if it isn't gone. I didn't know there were GRM guys within 20min of me....

92CelicaHalfTrac
5/12/11 10:00 a.m.

Paul if you do it, i'm calling permanent dibs if you ever sell it.

(Oh, i also get to drive it at least once. )

GO SELL THE REDLINE TODAY.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/12/11 10:04 a.m.

holy jeebus...thats a hell of a deal.

will talk it over with the boss this evening after I get the better part of a bottle of Chianti in her

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/12/11 11:06 a.m.

Well I wouldn't be able to do anything until next weekend (the 21st, 22nd). Man, I need this like I need chocolate cake.

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
5/12/11 11:50 a.m.

flogger, I sent you a message, if this afternoon goes well and carmax buys my saturn, I'll want to get ahold of you to get the car.

Btw, did you go to the halloween event for fwr last year? If so, you probably saw me there in G-stock....

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/12/11 12:10 p.m.
yamaha wrote: flogger, I sent you a message, if this afternoon goes well and carmax buys my saturn, I'll want to get ahold of you to get the car. Btw, did you go to the halloween event for fwr last year? If so, you probably saw me there in G-stock....

Our timing's awkward. I just replied a few minutes ago. If you don't mind, I'll paste an excerpt from that email here for everyone:

"IMHO, this car is a plug and play potential top 5 contender for the Challenge. The body needs very little. Weight should get down to ~2700 when stripped. HP should be easily 300-325 with a fairly flat torque curve and without getting into the power ranges that tend to blow the driveline to smithereens. It's AWD. It's got the best off the shelf shocks possible, and spring rates that should work well swapped to 350F/450R. It also has very large Kumho V710s. Don't forget, it also comes with some unnecessary/spare parts that can be recouped in the budget and used for optimization and tuning."

As for the Halloween event, yea, I was there. IIRC I won my class (ST). I also served as announcer (common work assignment for me) for the other heat. I still chuckle thinking of the guys dressed as Mario brothers with the Mario brothers theme playing over the PA when they were on course. Funny as hell. But then, I have a weird sense of humor, I suppose. Which car were you in in GS?

This goes for everybody: Make sure you look at the photos. There are a ton of them and I feel they give an accurate depiction of the overall condition of the car and it's parts.

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
5/12/11 12:25 p.m.

I loved Roebuck's delorevic..........

I was running the blue saturn ion in g-stock against that not-so-stock conquest, took 2nd in class and wiped out the timing/scoring cones there at the end my last run......

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/12/11 8:08 p.m.

yamaha's out as he couldn't sell his Saturn for what he needed for it. Who's up next? I've got an email from someone offering to come Saturday the 14th, cash in hand, but I have no idea yet if he's one of the posters on this thread.

I'll say it again:
First come, first served

yamaha
yamaha New Reader
5/12/11 8:51 p.m.

It is a good deal, I have horrible luck with timing, I spent nearly a grand wednesday afternoon on sho parts....

I hope someone local snags this, so that maybe I can have another shot at it in the future.

Good luck with the sale, and with moving.

corytate
corytate Reader
5/12/11 9:47 p.m.

damnit this is a hell of a deal. you really don't see decent dsm awd's for this price, and I've never seen one of the lasers for sell at all actually.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR
5/13/11 7:39 a.m.

I'm interested and within driving distance. Could you give me a call Flogger? Aaron 248-931-1939

garaithon
garaithon New Reader
5/13/11 11:30 a.m.

That was me that would like to come up Saturday. Give me a call asap!

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
5/14/11 9:41 p.m.

Sold to Tim and Gary (garaithon). They have plans to enter it in the Challenge and seem to be good guys who know what they're doing. Turns out they're from a neighboring SCCA region and we have mutual friends. Also, they seemed floored by the car's performance on the test drive. I feel like I sold it to exactly the right kind of buyer. Good luck in the Challenge, guys.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4h8cAtugRSa6hRjIvDXsqv78Scm2gskoFgKlLvw4ZUXbWdAWlDAqeFazJn1R7CQ4