dxman92
dxman92 Reader
7/13/18 9:44 p.m.

These are mine. I am willing to ship for extra..:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bop/d/fs-pair-of-700x32-continental/6638278048.html

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/18 12:43 a.m.

Nice way to try out a wider road tire for someone on the fence. I just put 38c Panaracer road tires on my 'cross/wet bike and I'm digging it.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
7/14/18 6:14 a.m.

Which Panaracers did you put on your bike? After using wider tires, I don't think I could go with something lower than a 32c. It has a better ride and better feeling on the road. 

Ransom
7/14/18 1:35 p.m.

Gravelkings. After riding them a bit, I'm curious about whether we'll eventually see fatter tires in racing where appropriate. We're already seeing somewhat wider tires, but I can't help thinking that at some place rough like Paris-Roubaix you could be seeing something way bigger than 28s to good effect. Then again, I'm not an instrumented test machine...

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
7/14/18 2:28 p.m.

Are they the knobbies or file tread? I think the biggest I've seen used at Paris-Roubaix is 30c (if frame has clearance). 28 seems to be a more common used size. The big deciding factor for tire clearance is frame and if rim or disc brakes are being used. It would be awesome if teams started using 32c tires on the the bigger races.

Ransom
7/14/18 4:24 p.m.

File tread; I really just use it as a bad-weather road bike for the most part, then attempt the occasional 'cross race.

I really was impressed at how well the bike seemed to roll, and I think I wound up at something like 50psi front 55-60 rear? And I weigh 190... On a heavy-by-road-standards bike with fenders I really didn't get the sense that I'd slowed the bike relative to the 25s I had on it before. But it's hard to say with accuracy. The Panaracers do feel really good; they've got quite supple casings, and they don't feel like I'm doing a bunch of extra work to flex them on the lower pressures.

The recent studies I've heard suggest that rolling resistance should be better as long as it's a really high quality tire that doesn't waste a bunch of energy in hysteresis in the sidewalls. The fact that I'm running big 'cross-width fenders means that I wasn't gaining any aero advantage with my 25s. not sure how the weights compare. The 25s were a mid-level Conti.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
glRePTAm8NCT5bfJHK1NqF9yU3nW6yYSXsTqErCQLZNtx6A75nQMN9E5AeEnzpfi