saruken
saruken New Reader
2/20/17 11:50 a.m.

While clearing room in my grandfather's old barn to work on his AMC 360, I discovered something of a Room of Requirement for Gladiators/J10s and sixth gen Ford Thunderbirds -- the only vehicles he owned since Nixon. He had several of each and stockpiled replacement parts for decades. The complete cars have been sold but the extra parts remain.

I've started to inventory things, but have probably only seen about half of what's in there. Some odds and ends I can't even put a name to. Most of it's dusty but in great shape, like the AMC motor, having sat untouched since the '80s.

I started to list everything out here but the post was getting enormous, so if you're interested in parts for these cars, just let me know and I'll see if I have what you're looking for. Most of what I know about is in the pictures here, but like I said, this is maybe half of the total collection. I'll add more as I get time to go back out there and organize/document the rest.

Other things I know are back there that aren't pictured: door cards, wheels, a torque converter, several radiators, a box of assorted Jeep transmission parts, and what looks to be a complete wiring harness.

Also if anyone's interested I found this engine testing rig:

And a complete stamped firewall for a Jeep truck:

If anybody wants details, more pictures, or if you have questions just let me know. I'll be heading back there briefly this Thursday so I can grab things or do some digging then. My grandfather and I both want this stuff to get into the hands of people who will enjoy it, so I couldn't think of a better place to start than GRM.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
2/20/17 2:11 p.m.

I wish I could spot something that I could use for my Eagle, or one of my CJs.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/17 4:43 p.m.

Which one was 6th gen?

saruken
saruken New Reader
2/21/17 7:58 a.m.

1972 - 76, hardtop coupe only.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/17 12:28 p.m.

Neat. A '72 was my first car. Could not find parts for that thing to save my life.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
2/21/17 1:28 p.m.

My best friend has the 72 t bird he came home from the hospital in. Brown interior. What do you have?

saruken
saruken New Reader
2/22/17 12:34 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: My best friend has the 72 t bird he came home from the hospital in. Brown interior. What do you have?

Neat! I came home from the hospital in a 1984 BMW 528e. Unfortunately that car met its end at the hands of -- hooves of? -- a deer crossing a Tennessee state highway.

Anyway the interior T-Bird parts I have are brown as well. There's more than this out there, but at least I have the following:

• Complete dashboard
  • Intact dash pad
  • Ash tray and cigarette lighter assembly
  • Factory radio
  • Dash wiring harness
  • 1 hood hinge
  • Gauge cluster
  • Tail light assembly
  • Fuse box
  • Steering column covers/surround
  • 2 horns
  • Complete engine wiring harness (80% sure -- I'll check more thoroughly on that piece if interested)

Let me know if your friend is interested in anything. I'll update as I find more. My grandfather claims there's a complete Ford 385 somewhere out there, but I haven't come across it yet.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/23/17 1:15 p.m.

I just wanted to say I miss great old names like "Gladiator" and "Thunderbird".

saruken
saruken New Reader
2/27/17 6:22 a.m.

Found some more parts:

• Thunderbird steering wheel and column
  • Motorcraft carburetor
  • Extra valve covers and intake for AMC 360
  • 2 metal fans
  • 2 large radiators
  • Various A/T parts (GM THM400 and Chrysler A-727 Torqueflite)
  • 4 turn signals from a motorcycle of some kind
  • 5 NAPA roof marker lights from the '70s
  • Thunderbird sun visors and rear view mirror
  • J10 window cranks, regulators and door handles
  • Assorted chrome trim
  • Duplicates of many other parts I already had
  • Tons of rusty scrap -- exhaust manifolds, cylinder heads, rotors

Tell your friends!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qmkAH6z6svqPplFfG9OtOia47qDqkH7qxo8MqwYK8hzoIb59w0hgbAFPSRekicVZ