KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 13, 2014 3:00 p.m.

Where would they look? Suppose the condition of the body, engine and trans were un-important.

Is Copart as big of a scam as it looks?

Is there a secret stash of parts cars somewhere?

Are the Craigslist pickings pretty slim everywhere, or just in MI?

Brett_Murphy UberDork
Feb. 13, 2014 3:12 p.m.

You pretty much have to watch Craigslist like a hawk because any reasonably priced Miata is going to get bought quickly.

You could also scour self-service junkyards in your area. Miatas show up from time to time in the yards around here, but they are usually picked clean within days.

metalman Reader
Feb. 13, 2014 6:21 p.m.

Um what parts do you need? If the body isnt needed or important, the engine & trans un-important, what's left? I have donor parts available.:-)

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 14, 2014 1:55 p.m.

Well, hypothetically speaking, suppose you worked at Ford.
Now suppose that there were some facilities where you were required to drive a Ford vehicle to park in the close parking lots.
Now suppose your commute was 50+ miles a day

At this point, you'd be wanting a small four-cylinder car.

You'd be very disappointed that all the Ford four-cylinder cars are wrong-wheel drive and you'd want something like a RWD 91-96 Escort GT or a RWD ZX2.

Since those cars are happen to be within an inch of an NA/NB in track width....

Apexcarver PowerDork
Feb. 14, 2014 2:03 p.m.

SVO Mustang or see if you can justify an XR4Ti?

ProDarwin UltraDork
Feb. 14, 2014 2:10 p.m.

That's a ton of fab work to park closer to work. Just park in a far lot, or get a focus to drive to work and back.

Or do a mid-engined Fiesta.

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 14, 2014 2:38 p.m.

Is it a ton of fab work? Yes. Would I like to try it? Absolutely. I dropped decent coin on my MIG and it's just sitting in the corner of my garage. I've built a utility trailer and used my el-cheapo tubing notcher for a few trivial projects. I'm itching to dig into something more substantial.

I can't get past the appearance of the Focus, and I really enjoy my Miata. If it had a Ford badge, my problem would be solved.

Brett_Murphy UberDork
Feb. 14, 2014 2:42 p.m.

Have you looked at one of the two seater Capris?

bgkast Dork
Feb. 14, 2014 2:46 p.m.

In this case This is the answer, not Miata:

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 14, 2014 3:06 p.m.

I have but they are so very wrong wheel drive and inferior to the NB I already have. I'd rather have a NB based 91-96 Escort. It'd be like the Miata equivalent of a MGB GT

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 14, 2014 3:07 p.m.
bgkast wrote: In this case This is the answer, not Miata:

As a Fiero owner, I do like FWD powertrains crammed in the wrong end of a car.

ProDarwin UltraDork
Feb. 14, 2014 3:13 p.m.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focusv8.php

Swank Force One MegaDork
Feb. 14, 2014 3:20 p.m.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701310615

http://youtu.be/JCsOW5TXC00

Then here's the EGT: http://youtu.be/e0f4mGY72Y8

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 14, 2014 3:54 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focusv8.php

That looks like a kit to build an ugly Fox body.

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 14, 2014 3:57 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701310615 http://youtu.be/JCsOW5TXC00 Then here's the EGT: http://youtu.be/e0f4mGY72Y8

That Probe is fantastic. Exactly what I imagined with an Escort GT. The Escort GT even shares the BP motor of a Miata.

Swank Force One MegaDork
Feb. 14, 2014 4:04 p.m.

That's funny.... i thought the EGT had the KL...

metalman Reader
Feb. 15, 2014 9:53 a.m.

Well...if you want to drive down... I have a complete dressed set of NB sub frames with spindles rack etc Just add Escort and stir. lol...

Knurled PowerDork
Feb. 15, 2014 2:41 p.m.

Put ZX2 wheels and a Ford badge on the Miata?

confuZion3 SuperDork
Feb. 15, 2014 4:26 p.m.

I've only ever seen one Miata in a salvage yard in the past 7 years.

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 15, 2014 11:14 p.m.
metalman wrote: Well...if you want to drive down... I have a complete dressed set of NB sub frames with spindles rack etc Just add Escort and stir. lol...

How far down is down?

Pennintj New Reader
Feb. 16, 2014 9:48 a.m.
KurtAKX wrote: Well, hypothetically speaking, suppose you worked at Ford. Now suppose that there were some facilities where you were required to drive a Ford vehicle to park in the close parking lots. Now suppose your commute was 50+ miles a day At this point, you'd be wanting a small four-cylinder car. You'd be very disappointed that all the Ford four-cylinder cars are wrong-wheel drive and you'd want something like a RWD 91-96 Escort GT or a RWD ZX2. Since those cars are happen to be within an inch of an NA/NB in track width....

I'll just leave this here...

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
Feb. 16, 2014 2:28 p.m.

In reply to KurtAKX: He's in the Atlanta area.

Knurled PowerDork
Feb. 16, 2014 2:54 p.m.

For what it is worth, I saw a Mazda 6 wagon today that was debadged but had a strange looking emblem mounted over the license plate area. It was rectangular, with the left half saying something like "Assembly Plant" and the right half looking like a Ford symbol.

He passed me at a high rate of speed so I didn't get much of a view. But, we have several Ford plants around here, so who knows?

Feb. 16, 2014 5:55 p.m.
Pennintj wrote:
KurtAKX wrote: Well, hypothetically speaking, suppose you worked at Ford. Now suppose that there were some facilities where you were required to drive a Ford vehicle to park in the close parking lots. Now suppose your commute was 50+ miles a day At this point, you'd be wanting a small four-cylinder car. You'd be very disappointed that all the Ford four-cylinder cars are wrong-wheel drive and you'd want something like a RWD 91-96 Escort GT or a RWD ZX2. Since those cars are happen to be within an inch of an NA/NB in track width....

I'll just leave this here...

That is awesome

KurtAKX New Reader
Feb. 17, 2014 6:28 a.m.
Pennintj wrote:
KurtAKX wrote: Well, hypothetically speaking, suppose you worked at Ford. Now suppose that there were some facilities where you were required to drive a Ford vehicle to park in the close parking lots. Now suppose your commute was 50+ miles a day At this point, you'd be wanting a small four-cylinder car. You'd be very disappointed that all the Ford four-cylinder cars are wrong-wheel drive and you'd want something like a RWD 91-96 Escort GT or a RWD ZX2. Since those cars are happen to be within an inch of an NA/NB in track width....

I'll just leave this here...

I'll take it. When can I pick it up?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Your Projects: E46 M3 Transformation

2 hours ago in News

Watch this E46 M3 go from tuned street car to winged time trial racer in just one page.

Autocross: It's a Jeep Thing

20 hours ago in Articles

What’s a yellow Jeep doing on an autocross course?

GRM Live on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

23 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Tech Tips: 2005-'14 Ford Mustang GT

1 day ago in Articles

Want to learn some speed tricks for the S197 Ford Mustang GT? We brought in an expert.

Removing Clear Bra From Project Rallycross Focus

1 day ago in Project Cars

Our latest to-do item was motivated by self-respect rather than speed.

2017 Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Half-ton trucks are just getting bigger and bigger, aren't they. This Ram 150, dubbed "Night Edition," is really an optioned-out ...

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Action Cam Guide

2 days ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

2 days ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

2 days ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

5 days ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

5 days ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
MljvWYMM5V5JBpPa8rpViwgDenSgp8Ez