bgkast Dork
March 5, 2014 1:07 p.m.

I am consolidating my car collection and my trusty 240D is up next unfortunately. I got the car about 8 years ago with a bad engine and swapped a low mile (for a MB Diesel) 300D turbo engine in front of the 4 speed stick. This required a custom driveshaft that I had made by driveline service of Portland. I later designed and installed a variable geometry turbo setup using a turbo from a diesel jeep liberty. This setup gives full boost right off of idle. I have installed VDO boost and pyrometer gauges to keep tabs on the engine.

The car is lowered slightly on custom springs that were made designed and made in a limited run by Vogtland for a group buy on a Mercedes Diesel forum. When I installed the springs I re-did all the bushings and joints in the front end. I also installed a larger limo-spec rear sway bar that was the last new one in the warehouses in German (or so the Mercedes Classic Center told me when I ordered it).

All these modifications make it fast...for an old diesel Mercedes. It has no problem keeping up with modern traffic. The car is geared a bit low with the original 240D rear end ratio, but I have better ratio differential that I will include (along with a huge pile of other parts).

$2014 to members here...I will be asking a bit more from the general public.

RoughandReady Reader
March 5, 2014 1:15 p.m.

That car would be 6500 where I am.

bgkast Dork
March 5, 2014 1:17 p.m.

I forgot, it also has Glass Euro-spec headlights, and an air/water intercooler.

Here are some other Pictures: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1800 http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1827

RoughandReady Reader
March 5, 2014 1:21 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Correction, this would pull 8k over here. 8.5 if it had a biodiesel sticker.

spitfirebill UberDork
March 5, 2014 1:32 p.m.

It really could not be much further from me. If it's not rusty, that's a hellovadeal

bgkast Dork
March 5, 2014 1:37 p.m.

Ah, but it does have a biodiesel sticker!

This year in particular is notorious for rust. When I got it the rear floors were weak, so I cut them out and welded in new floors from a non-rusty newer car of the same body style. I then por 15 coated the whole floor.

There is a a small patch of surface trustrust that recently started by a trim piece that I intend to deal with before it is sold.

RoughandReady Reader
March 5, 2014 2:05 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

What year is it?

Ransom PowerDork
March 5, 2014 2:09 p.m.

Good grief. That's too cool.

old_ Reader
March 5, 2014 4:04 p.m.

Fuuuuu... do you have any better pics? The pics on peachparts are thumbnail size, can't get them enlarged.

What kind of mpgs are you seeing?

speedblind HalfDork
March 5, 2014 4:18 p.m.

Is that a Washington tag? Where specifically is the car?

bgkast Dork
March 5, 2014 4:19 p.m.

It's a 79. I have lots of pictures on my hard drive at home. Let me know what you want to see and what your email address is.

MrJoshua PowerDork
March 5, 2014 4:25 p.m.

That is awesome! I really would love to have it but the only reasonable thing I could do is challenge it. When you say fast for an old mercedes-how fast would you guess? 1/4 mile or 0-60 seat of the pants estimates are fine.

bgkast Dork
March 5, 2014 4:36 p.m.

Milage is probably in the high 20s. Everybody says these things get 30-35, but I've owned about 10 of them and not found that to be the case.

0-60 is probably in the 14 second range IIRC (not fast, but faster than the 24 second stock time).

Here are some you-tube videos of it...Watching them I'm having second thoughts about selling it, I really love this car.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bgkast?feature=watch

The video with the smoke was from a valve that tightened up after a not getting the lock-nut tight enough when adjusting them.

March 5, 2014 4:57 p.m.

I would buy that just to make the CA DMV's head explode when I tried to register it.

conesare2seconds HalfDork
March 5, 2014 7:22 p.m.

Damn that's cool.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
March 6, 2014 2:35 a.m.

I would FedEx you $2014 in a hot second if I could figure out how to get it pats a Nevada Smog Test. Damn.

edizzle89 New Reader
March 6, 2014 5:16 a.m.

out of curiosity, how are you controlling the vgt turbo?

spitfirebill UberDork
March 6, 2014 7:42 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: I would buy that just to make the CA DMV's head explode when I tried to register it.

I strongly suspect it would be your head that would explode first.

yupididit None
March 6, 2014 8:00 a.m.

I need this in my life. So... Can this car make the drive to southern California?

RoughandReady Reader
March 6, 2014 8:17 a.m.

In reply to yupididit:

I had an 80 model with 400k. Leaked a quart of oil per week, pissed coolant from the rad, had no rear floors. We did a 5 hour drive running on ATF and waste oil.

It'll make it to cali.

yupididit New Reader
March 6, 2014 8:45 a.m.

In reply to RoughandReady:

Ah I could fly out there and drive it back. It'll probably be sold by the time I could get that on my schedule.

bgkast Dork
March 6, 2014 9:06 a.m.

I'm sure it could make it, but it would be a long drive. This car is happiest at about 50 mph with the gearing it has now.

This car should be emissions exempt I would think.

Powar SuperDork
March 6, 2014 9:19 a.m.

Want to deliver it to KY?

yupididit New Reader
March 6, 2014 9:27 a.m.

I would register it with Virginia antique registration. bgkast can you send me your email? I can't pm.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
March 6, 2014 1:23 p.m.
bgkast wrote: I'm sure it could make it, but it would be a long drive. This car is happiest at about 50 mph with the gearing it has now. This car should be emissions exempt I would think.

You'd think... but not in Nevada. Even if I want a "classic car" plate for it, in order to get a new Nevada registration on an out-of-state car, I'd need to get it past smog, just once.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

23 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

1 day ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

1 day ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

1 day ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

2 days ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

2 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Vintage Views: Classic Mini

4 days ago in Articles

Turn heads, have jolly good fun.

You Need This: Toyota With Rally Pedigree

5 days ago in News

Who can say no to a turbocharger and all-wheel drive?

Join Our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In at Pacific Grove on Tuesday, August 15

5 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

You Need This: J. Geils's Maserati Sebring, Some Assembly Required

5 days ago in News

A rock star project will be auctioned off in Monterey next week.

Who Wants a Skip Barber Car?

5 days ago in News

Skip Barber Racing School is selling off Miatas, Mustangs, Porsches and much more.

2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 4Matic Coupe

5 days ago in New Car Reviews

A Mercedes-Benz is an animal with few equals. I don’t mean that no one else makes a car that’s as ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
8GvtEi9VNQQDr78KBzKTLPSSqcx0XlSd