volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/29/14 7:40 a.m.

Mine, affiliated.

http://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/4822931638.html

Yeah...

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
12/29/14 9:58 a.m.

exocet time!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/29/14 11:11 a.m.

BTW, the VIN is on the firewall. You can pull the model year from that - look at the 6th digit from the end. 2 means 1991, 3 means 1992, 4 means 1993. They're all possibilities given the engine. Not that it matters, there weren't any notable changes.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/29/14 11:42 a.m.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I figured given what the car's best use would be for, the year is probably not significant.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/30/14 7:42 a.m.

No one needs an engine donor? ;-)

EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
12/30/14 8:52 a.m.

What's the rust situation throughout the suspension?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/30/14 9:33 a.m.
EdHigginbotham wrote: What's the rust situation throughout the suspension?

There's no rust. Nada. Zilch. I got the car from NC (it's near Baltimore now). And the accident damage doesn't appear to have damaged the suspension or pick up points.

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
12/30/14 11:48 a.m.

Have you ever looked at putting an MX5 drivetrain into one of your 122's? Real 5th gear, FI, more HP out of the box. My 122 wagon has an empty engine bay and while I could build another B18/20 I've thought about doing a repower with the 1.8 Miata setup or a 2.3T out of an xr4ti, Turbo Coupe, etc.

Your car looks like a great base for a LeMons build. No bites on the LeMons forum?

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/30/14 12:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: BTW, the VIN is on the firewall. You can pull the model year from that - look at the 6th digit from the end. 2 means 1991, 3 means 1992, 4 means 1993.

Is this a miata specific thing? I've always looked at the 8th digit from the end. In that case, the numbers in the VIN don't start until MY2000. Everything prior to that is a letter.

1994 - R

1995 - S

etc etc

2000 - Y

2001 - 1

2002 - 2

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/30/14 12:45 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Have you ever looked at putting an MX5 drivetrain into one of your 122's? Real 5th gear, FI, more HP out of the box. My 122 wagon has an empty engine bay and while I could build another B18/20 I've thought about doing a repower with the 1.8 Miata setup or a 2.3T out of an xr4ti, Turbo Coupe, etc. Your car looks like a great base for a LeMons build. No bites on the LeMons forum?

I've actually been sitting here thinking about it, funny you mention it. I recently discovered my 122 wagon lost #3 cylinder. No idea why, it could be a stuck valve or something, but I'd been driving it on 1,2 and 4 for some time. Huh.

Haven't posted it on the LeMons forum yet.

a 1.8 or a 2.3 Pinto engine might be fun for a 122 as well.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
12/30/14 12:47 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
hobiercr wrote: Have you ever looked at putting an MX5 drivetrain into one of your 122's? Real 5th gear, FI, more HP out of the box. My 122 wagon has an empty engine bay and while I could build another B18/20 I've thought about doing a repower with the 1.8 Miata setup or a 2.3T out of an xr4ti, Turbo Coupe, etc. Your car looks like a great base for a LeMons build. No bites on the LeMons forum?

I've actually been sitting here thinking about it, funny you mention it. I recently discovered my 122 wagon lost #3 cylinder. No idea why, it could be a stuck valve or something, but I'd been driving it on 1,2 and 4 for some time. Huh.

A decent B20 will have more power than a stock 1.6 Miata mill, though. And fuel economy gains will be minor. A Miata gets 25 to 30 mpg but it's a lighter car than the Amazon. I wager a B18/B20 makes more torque down low, too.

Haven't posted it on the LeMons forum yet.

a 1.8 or a 2.3 Pinto engine might be fun for a 122 as well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/30/14 9:28 p.m.
calteg wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: BTW, the VIN is on the firewall. You can pull the model year from that - look at the 6th digit from the end. 2 means 1991, 3 means 1992, 4 means 1993.

Is this a miata specific thing? I've always looked at the 8th digit from the end. In that case, the numbers in the VIN don't start until MY2000. Everything prior to that is a letter.

1994 - R

1995 - S

etc etc

2000 - Y

2001 - 1

2002 - 2

The NA Miatas also have the year in the vehicle number. 1990 models start with 100,000, 1991 start with 200,000, etc. Only works for the NA, and it's easier than remembering a letter.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
1/30/15 5:32 a.m.

SOLD - to an Exocet builder.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/30/15 9:21 a.m.

Sweet resurrection.

UMkZW1K2gJhYgoGlb7H5alMcw7QahqZA