Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/13 11:29 a.m.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4133895175.html

I've actually driven by this car multiple times. It's all fiberglass and actually really clean. Wicked cool project for $1200!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/13 11:36 a.m.

I saw that, started seeing Porsche model designations that made no sense to me, half-considered it for the CL crack thread, then googled the designations, and, um, realized who the ignoramus was (and it wasn't CL dude)...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/17/13 12:55 p.m.

That's pretty damn cool.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/17/13 12:56 p.m.

"936 for Dummies", please?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/13 1:02 p.m.

What is it about the PNW that apparently breeds 924's with AIR fiberglass installed?

my 79 924 has the same body parts on it and was bought in Washington.

I wonder what year the drivetrain came from? In 79-80, the 931 had the Porsche "dogleg" or 915-based gearbox, which isn't bad, but isn't common either. The 81-82 931 had an Audi-based unit and better ignition.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/17/13 1:03 p.m.

Shouldn't it be polyurethane if its real? The fiberglass would tip it off as a recreation(nothing wrong with that).

Javelin
10/17/13 1:06 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

He clearly states it a replica in the ad. All the better to race it then!

turboswede
10/17/13 1:16 p.m.

The parts are from A.I.R Fiberglass and are replica pieces. The fact that the rear end is using 944 flares and not the proper Carrera GT pieces is a big tip off before reading the ad.

My 924 has the same pieces from A.I.R., with a Carrera GT air damn replica.

That would be a great autocross car for you Jav. Lighter than a 944 with the ability to run fairly wide meat under the fenders and a fairly quick spooling turbo, plenty of 944 upgrades are possible :)

Something about 150hp in a 2300lb car ;)

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/17/13 3:59 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to chandlerGTi: He clearly states it a replica in the ad. All the better to race it then!

Teaches me for just reading your ad!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
10/17/13 4:06 p.m.

Hijack:
Am I the only one who has zero interest in any front-engine Porsche?

Thanks for the WA heads up Jav!

Javelin
10/17/13 4:34 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose:

I dunno, but I'm probably the only Porsche-head who has literally zero interest in a rear-engined one. The 911 just does nothing for me.

turboswede
10/17/13 5:15 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to SnowMongoose: I dunno, but I'm probably the only Porsche-head who has literally *zero* interest in a rear-engined one. The 911 just does nothing for me.

You're not alone.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/13 5:42 p.m.

Do the non rear engined Porsche feel special? I mean are they like an event to drive?

Javelin
10/17/13 5:47 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

My 944 felt like that, it was great!

turboswede
10/17/13 6:11 p.m.

Well, they don't actively try to kill you, unless you do something incredibly stupid and even then they won't bit too hard. The 924's are probably closer to a classic 911 in feel due to the manual steering and lighter weight, they are woefully underpowered unless turbocharged though. The 944's are more optioned and heavier, but nicer cars to DD.

They can be pretty entertaining to drive as they have 50/50 weight distribution with relatively decent suspension geometry, so you can be way out on the ragged edge with them and they won't bite. Great visibility, lots of aftermarket support and plenty have been raced and are being raced.

A good friend described driving a C6 in anger as similar to a larger 924/944 (they both have the transaxle's mounted in the rear via torque tube, so it isn't surprising). So if you've driven a C6 in anger, then you may already know to some extent.

Here's some footage of some folks having some track fun in a front engined Porsche:

http://youtu.be/dIPCcsWFpJ0

http://youtu.be/fWnRxQWzE2Y

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/13 4:57 p.m.

Now $800. This is about 3 minutes from my office, but I don't need another project! http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/4149452938.html

Javelin
10/25/13 5:36 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

DO IT!!!!!

bgkast
10/25/13 5:42 p.m.

The map in the ad is wrong, I can actually almost see this thing from my office window. I walked by it and it looks like the left rear quarter panel needs some help. It needs effort than I have to give right now, but I can definitely check it out for anybody that is interested.

Javelin
10/25/13 6:15 p.m.

Who needs effort right now? It'll be perfectly content languishing in your yard instead of his.

turboswede
10/25/13 9:07 p.m.

Dude. Think of how well this would do at PCA events! You could clean up over the season.

bgkast
10/25/13 10:38 p.m.

Yeah, do it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wf67zZtoG8U1NVx4Nfzor9W471r8VbI52lhFYh0wP8ya8ZCKdL9Gpv6VLANg0xEs