FIYAPOWA
FIYAPOWA Reader
8/15/18 8:32 a.m.

I know this is a total heap, and barely worth anything, but I want it so bad...

Linky

Mostly, I want to make an all-girl LeMons/Champcar/Challenge team with my daughters.  Finished project would look like this:

Too bad I'm out of storage at the moment...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 1:59 p.m.

In reply to FIYAPOWA :

You can always sleep in a car...

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/15/18 4:02 p.m.

We built a few of those for paved track and that looks like a really good deal. You could still be competitive in street/pure stock with that car. Actually it would be fun to run it against all the Camaro and G bodies. It would definitely be a fan favourite.

I actually had a 77 Malibu street car in that exact colour.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/18 6:17 p.m.

I just sold a vehicle so you can store it at my house since I have a free spot now. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/15/18 6:21 p.m.

I think this thing has taken a pretty hard hit. No doors, and that bottom door bar on the drivers side looks bent. Still not the scariest cage I've seen. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

The sign post braces on the front and rear suspension don’t exactly inspire confidence though. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/15/18 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Both of you :

That ding is perfectly normal for a car like that, and likely a very minor bump. The doors being off means nothing eithr.

The unistrut looks like the mount rail for the fuel cell.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/16/18 4:56 p.m.

Could be a fun challenge build....

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/16/18 5:02 p.m.

Keep in mind many circle track cages won't pass Lemons tech and the ones that don't will mostly have to be cut out and replaced. I can't tell without an in person inspection on this car but it looks like the back stays are wrong and the main hoop is wrong for Lemons. The main hoop looks like it is too far inboard, driver would be sticking out past it a bit. The back stays are definitely too low. Also that assumes the material is correct and the welds are good quality.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/18 8:42 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

That cage is incredibly sketchy in so many ways.  I still don't understand how these get built when decent kits are so inexpensive.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
8/17/18 6:58 a.m.

'Cause it was likely free, looks to be from an offset type dirt car,  If you plan on teaching someone to drive please just build a 'Fresh' car.  look up Canadian stock car products for the best and least expensive kits.  I know this from years of watching and using there stuff.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/17/18 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

It's perfectly inline with being a pure stock from that era. As bad as it looks it's probably quite safe for the speeds.

I'm really glad it's not close to me. For that price I'd probably buy it.

No, I would definitely buy it and race it.

Nostalgia's big these days (I'm getting old)

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
8/25/18 6:28 a.m.

I have a soft spot for the 73-77 Chevelle's and also for paved short track racing. 73-77 Monte Carlos were dominant followed by the Chevelle's. 

I also had a 75 Chevelle 2dr as a "winter beater" a long time ago. Bronze with a white top and alot of WI rust.

I think this has great potential and it's cheap.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/29/18 3:52 p.m.

P...p...p..p....perfect.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lMS2sIUPuZUfjzQWS5pXXRQEB9kVupE9dHAIh6TDeCyN5IKURHQrnmZn4lk8sLAD